Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2009, 12:47   #2281
Senior - BHPian

well thats bad construction, imagine the pain for these guys driving on the road, what was their mistake to use this road ? Its high time, PWD owes up responsibility for this and ensures that nothing like this would happen.
Old 15th May 2009, 12:52   #2282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Looks like the iron structure was only glued and too by a small patch of concrete!!
The contractor should be taken to task.
Ha Ha that's Indian Engineering. Infrastructure developed with frustrated mood.
Old 15th May 2009, 14:45   #2283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
Ha Ha that's Indian Engineering. Infrastructure developed with frustrated mood.
Definately agree there is an error in the construction. However, since you are an Indian yourself, you could be an enginner too, or a doctor, so you are only dejecting yourself and making fun of yourself, since you are also an Indian and represent India hehe.
Old 15th May 2009, 14:55   #2284
BHPian

Thats a major intersection where this beam fell off! caused a massive traffic jam too!
Though i dont have many details on this one, just hope no one got hurt!
Old 15th May 2009, 16:27   #2285
BHPian

Japanese and Korean car manufacturers make hatchbacks like tin cans. But the truth is that we only demand fuel efficiency and we actually ask for these cars. Crumple zones and new age materials that are lighter and stronger are fine, but these don't really impart a feeling of safety. Looking at these tins cans full of people gives me a fright, especially the wagon r, which seems to be made of tin foil. It is my personal opinion that a sub one-tonne car without any ABS or Airbags cannot offer adequate protection to the occupants in the event of an unfortunate incident. Only steel of the right gauge at the right places can be the saving grace.

I myself have been in an accident on the highway in our Sumo. It toppled to the co-driver side at high speeds and we were dragging on the road for quite some time before the vehicle came to a halt. There were six of us and barring a minor shoulder injury to my mamu, not even a scratch on any one of us. What protected us? Hard cold steel. We had a roof carrier and along with the foot running board on the side, it didn't let the vehicle crumple. There were no dents, just scraped and burnt steel at points of contact. After coming back to our senses, we turned over the car with the help of some others, replaced a punctured oil filter and were back on the road (without and windscreen though) I swear by the steel used by Tata Motors, M&M and even Fiat for that case. We still have the Sumo and it is 13 years old now and I joke with my dad that in worst case we’ll get a decent sum for 1.7 tonnes of steel (will be actually around 1.5 tonnes without rubber and plastic parts) say at the rate of Rs.20 per kg for scrap steel.
Old 15th May 2009, 17:21   #2286
Senior - BHPian

@ jessie: even i completely agree with you. compare a swift/santro to an indica/palio. compare a scorpio/safari to an innova. although many may argue about crumple zones, i have never felt safe in these tin boxes, read jap cars.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 15th May 2009 at 17:22.
Old 15th May 2009, 18:12   #2287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
The contractor should be taken to task.
Safety is the task of the contractor.
Old 15th May 2009, 22:27   #2288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
However, since you are an Indian yourself, you could be an enginner too, or a doctor, so you are only dejecting yourself and making fun of yourself, since you are also an Indian and represent India hehe.
100% Indian. But accept the truth and trying to make a better one. .0000001% or what ever... Due politics/cheep product/less knowledge we are facing this problem. And ultimately we are the most effected...
Please check the Bangalore Inf Building History... How poorly planned they are. Wasting our own tax paid money.

Tail Gate Effect :
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-sp_a0518.jpg
Old 16th May 2009, 00:51   #2289
BHPian

Quote:
Definitely agree there is an error in the construction. However, since you are an Indian yourself, you could be an engineer too, or a doctor, so you are only dejecting yourself and making fun of yourself, since you are also an Indian and represent India hehe.
So Indians can't criticize themselves? You have to be from some other country to criticize Indians as a whole? I don't think so. I think that any Indian has a right and a responsibility to do just that. Thousands die each year in our country due to badly built infrastructure, be it roads that turn into dirt tracks after a monsoon or buldings that leak and crumble. There's no accountability, because you can get away with anything if you have enough money or political influence.

It's not that we're inherently bad people. Look at the responses to the accident pictures. After each one, the first question is, are the people okay, did anyone die? Everyone offers a prayer to the deceased, and hope that the survivors are ok. It's just that the prospect of saving cash gets in the way sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Hi Pankaj I see that there will be not a single Bajaj autorickshaw all over India who did not face this situation once in theier lifespan, I dont understand these so called kings of 3 wheeler manufectureres BAJAJ not doing any thing to stop this inspite of getting reports and feedback from suffered customers by redesigning front suspension and reenforcing the same,they are just selling these vehicles to buyers like onions and potatoes and our customers are still going for this vehicle like fools just because everyone is buying it . This design is ages old and never looked upon for IMPROVEMENTS TO AVOID THIS SITUATION ,in the picture of yours the vehicle is on its remaining wheels I have seen them turning toppel due to this in front of my eyes, once happened below my home in seven bunglows and passengers getting hurt badly due to overturning at high speeds. Rahul Bajaj should do something now at least since he already has a stiff competition in form of TVS autorick which is refined, strudy and appealing and has rugged looks and comes with plenty of goodies which Bajaj never thought of. At least now our rickshawwallas have realised and are opting for other brand.We see plenty of TVS ricks in mumbai.
My dad had once while travelling faced same situation but thank god it happened when the rick was about to start from a red signal.From that very day he used to hold the bar inside the rick tightly if in case siyuation is repeated again and used to force us also for the same.He expired in 1994.
Amen, brother. I completely agree. The ricks are completely unsafe, especially with the higher no of vehicles on the road, and higher speeds. It's high time they upgraded them. They only got all wheel braking and functional lighting a couple years ago. And what's with them still making two-stroke ricks? With the sheer number of ricks in India, it's irresponsible of Bajaj to continue producing these smoke machines. I also supect that payoffs were made to allow their production and lower the emission standards for ricks.

These things roll like crazy, because of the disastrous combination of three wheels and direct steering. When the drivers swerve to avoid something, the rick ends up on its side most of the time. Every other day there's an article in the paper about some rick falling on its side with a couple of unlucky souls trapped inside. The handle should be replaced with a steering.
Old 16th May 2009, 10:44   #2290
BHPian

Quote:
Definately agree there is an error in the construction. However, since you are an Indian yourself, you could be an enginner too, or a doctor, so you are only dejecting yourself and making fun of yourself, since
+1. We always scold or make fun of Indian Politician. So does it mean that we are scolding all Indian...
Old 16th May 2009, 11:06   #2291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
So Indians can't criticize themselves? You have to be from some other country to criticize Indians as a whole?
OT: Criticizing is fine, but don't generalize by saying for all Indians. Never lose hope.

Couldn't help writing it, please ignore if you don't agree.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 16th May 2009 at 11:07.
Old 16th May 2009, 13:37   #2292
BHPian

I took this from The Hindu.

In a tragic accident, 17 construction workers, including nine women, were killed, and five others seriously injured, when a speeding private bus collided with a mini-goods vehicle on the Madurai-Tirumangalam ring road near here on Friday.
The police said that the mofussil bus was bound for Kovilpatti from Madurai. The workers, all belonging to a hamlet near Palavanatham in neighbouring Virudhunagar district, were travelling in the goods vehicle to their work spot.
Though eyewitness accounts blamed the accident on the bus driver’s “rash and negligent driving,” preliminary enquiries suggested that a tyre burst might have been the cause, the police said.
Superintendent of Police (Madurai district) V.Balakrishnan said that the impact of the collision was so huge that it took over an hour to separate the vehicles and remove the bodies from the goods vehicle, which was damaged beyond recognition.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2009051660070801.jpg  

Old 16th May 2009, 14:05   #2293
Senior - BHPian

OMG ! Very tragic loss of innocent lives !
Old 16th May 2009, 15:09   #2294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
So Indians can't criticize themselves? You have to be from some other country to criticize Indians as a whole? I don't think so. I think that any Indian has a right and a responsibility to do just that. Thousands die each year in our country due to badly built infrastructure, be it roads that turn into dirt tracks after a monsoon or buldings that leak and crumble. There's no accountability, because you can get away with anything if you have enough money or political influence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
+1. We always scold or make fun of Indian Politician. So does it mean that we are scolding all Indian...
Oops, I meant to say - Criticize the Team who built it, criticize yourself maybe?, but dont criticize me or the the entire country.
Old 16th May 2009, 17:05   #2295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
Though eyewitness accounts blamed the accident on the bus driver’s “rash and negligent driving,” preliminary enquiries suggested that a tyre burst might have been the cause, the police said.
Well may be, but let me tell you one thing, these tata ace drivers aren't angels once they hit the road. The rarely move their behinds for others when on the wrong lane, They expect others to make the corrections on the road and they have a feeling that the other road users will do the necessary space and speed adjstments.
I would take this speculation with a pinch of salt.

Most Viewed