Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2009, 09:28   #2311
Senior - BHPian

looks like the rain, the curvy roads, poor visibility and no tail lamps trucks combined consumed another unsuspecting victim!
Old 17th May 2009, 11:20   #2312
BHPian

Too many accidents after the Toppur section is done up.
Most of the recent accidents were cause by parked trucks!
Old 17th May 2009, 16:59   #2313
BHPian

Horrific crash. I hope everyone survived. Was the truck parked in a wrong way or what?
Old 17th May 2009, 21:42   #2314
Senior - BHPian

Nothing really wrong about the way the truck was parked I guess. Even in the pics you could see the truck within in the road markings.

It was raining quite heavily that evening causing very low visibility, possibly speeding M800 in the rain and the non-existent hazard lights or any warning lights on the truck all caused this crazy accident.
Old 18th May 2009, 00:25   #2315
BHPian

I think that might be the accident in which a mother and a child lost their lives. Read recently about such an accident in 'mathrubhumi' where a mallu family met with an accident, banging in to a truck, returning from some family function.
Old 18th May 2009, 09:37   #2316
BHPian

Let,s come to gether as the youth of this country to make a difference.

As the comments come in, analysis and post-mortem go on I would like to take the opportunity to bring to light some of our fundamental highway, transportation, road safety and engineering flaws and how the capitalists, politicians, policy makers and also all of us as end customers have made something by risking our own and others life and property.

To start with the licence raj in India didn’t allow other manufacturers to come in and allow us the benefit of using best of the breed global technology starting from HCV’s, LCV.s , Passenger Cars and other surface (Road) transportation means and appropriate infrastructure.

A few individuals and companies heavily benefited and are still continuing to reap the benefits of a price sensitive customer and churn out products of poor quality and blaming the end customer.The result being a poorly engineered product at a low cost. This is seen across every item/commodity that we use even in daily life and that has led to a poor quality of living standards in our country.

Imagine if we started selling high quality stuff across all the products/services you use in daily life. Obvious effect will be that many people would not be able to afford it immediately. To make something of such high quality you will have to be appropriately qualified and thus get paid well eventually allowing you to afford the products/services. It may be un practical to begin with but we can already see the change from Branded Garments, Volvo Buses, Multiplexes to Organic food products.

I had some interesting company recently on a bus ride from Coimbatore to Chennai and the man next to my seat was a retired design engineer from a large commercial vehicle maker. Some of the revelations he made was really scary and I began to urge him to tell me more. After almost 3 hours of digging and his cooperation there were many a facts he share with me.

All us know that we have been riding on tops of trucks for many years built like a bus and if you imagine is no different for the manufacturer between people and goods and that to many years of unquestioned monopoly.

In the CV segment driver safety and comfort were never the criteria and the race was on being priced lower and haul more for less fuel. It still remains the same today except that some of the foreign entrants are pushing local producers to wake up. We are still running BS-III CV's on BS-II fuel for no evident benifits and increasing the air pollutants.

Trucks are still the foremost reason for accidents on Indian roads and have you wondered why?.. I am a bit tired from my return road trip from Chennai and travelling again to Coimbatore today.

I will write more as soon as find time and request all of you to put in your inputs, suggestions and recommendations from across the country so that we can make a collective representation to the new ministry of transportation and put pressure to have more measures for road safety and hopefully pass laws in this direction across the system.

Let’s take all our road experiences to a new level and take the vow to do all that is possible as an individual to make the roads safer for you and your family and all the fellow road users. Join in the road user’s brotherhood and let this forum get the message pan India and start a revolution.

Jai Hind.
Mike
Old 18th May 2009, 12:43   #2317
Senior - BHPian

Airavat (Volvo) crash on NH48.

Check the link:
D A I J I W O R L D

Mangalore Airavat Volvo crash. Horrific scenes !!

Abhi
Old 18th May 2009, 12:53   #2318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Check the link:
D A I J I W O R L D

Abhi
No idea what the bus driver was thinking, this is one horrific accident.

But the bus is in front of the lorry and the wood has pierced onto it, is the bus being moved into front after the incident.
Old 18th May 2009, 13:01   #2319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Check the link:
D A I J I W O R L D

Abhi
Really sad and gory pictures those.
No details of casualities, if any, in the report.
Old 18th May 2009, 13:01   #2320
Senior - BHPian

With narrow roads..this was bound to happen especially if warning signs were not placed about the stationery lorry. I keep repeating this time and again, these Volvo buses are extreme fair weather buses in Indian conditions. All is well when they are well, with the amount of uncertainity & poor road sense they are certainly of high risk when they meet with accidents.

Sorry to hear about the victims, more worryingly as per the site no identifications yet.
Old 18th May 2009, 13:12   #2321
BHPian

Another truck takes some more people-Again-parked with out lights

Yet another Killer Truck on the prowl and Abhi has put the link. I just made it easier to see the carnage that the truck left behind.What was the fault of the innocent people in the bus/driver? Who is responsible for this? If someone has lost a family member only then will they wake up to face the reality. Do we all have to wait for so long?

Mike

Monday, May 18, 2009 10:28:49 AM (IST)
Beltangady: Five Killed as Bus Rams into Stranded Timber-laden Lorry at Udane
Pics: Arun Uppinangady
Sourceaijiworld Media Network – Beltangady (TU)

Link:D A I J I W O R L D
Beltangady, May 18:
At least five persons were killed on the spot in a road accident when a KSRTC-run Iravat bus rammed into a stranded timber-laden lorry at Udane near here in the wee hours of Monday May 18.

So far the deceased have not been identified. Sources said that five more passengers suffered critical injuries in the accident. They have been admitted to A J Hospital in Mangalore. The accident has also left as many as 10 passengers with minor injuries. They have been admitted to hospitals in the town as well as in Puttur.

The bus which was on its way to Mangalore from Bangalore, hit the stationary lorry at Udane at a high speed. The timber-laden lorry which had been stranded along the roadside was spotted at the last minute by the speeding bus driver. His last ditch efforts to avert the mishap were not successful as bus hit the lorry. As of now it is not known whether the driver of the bus too is among the deceased.

Eyewitnesses also said that the lorry had been parked by the roadside without switching on the parking lights. Since it had rained in the night, it became still more difficult for the bus driver to apply breaks on time.
Puttur ASP Harsha Gupta visited the spot and investigation is on.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-volvo1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-volvo2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-volvo3.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-volvo4.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-volvo5.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-volvo6.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-volvo7.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-killer-truck.jpg  

Old 18th May 2009, 13:25   #2322
BHPian

Man! This looks terrible! May the departed souls rest in peace.
Old 18th May 2009, 13:26   #2323
Senior - BHPian

The truck was stranded in the middle of the road with no hazard warning lights on.i doubt if it it had any.This is horrible and utter negligence on the part of the truck driver.That log has sheared the entire length of the bus.Imagine a huge log hitting you at 100kmph..brrr! that must have been the fate of the passengers on this ill-fated Volvo.Truckies like this should be banned from the country.But who cares?.Everthing's just gonna be the same once the hue and cry has died down.R.I.P.
Old 18th May 2009, 13:34   #2324

I know there are no pictures here, but the link below is very relevant, as the person involved in the accident is a TeamBHPian.

Cyclist run over by youth in sports car - Mumbai - Cities - The Times of India
Old 18th May 2009, 13:37   #2325
BHPian

Holy Cow this looks terrible, very sad state... !! Condolences & thoughts to all who have lost their loved ones
RIP

Most Viewed