Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2009, 13:37   #2326
Senior - BHPian

oh god may the souls of the departed rest in peace.

that volvo crash is a very very gory one .
Old 18th May 2009, 13:38   #2327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
I know there are no pictures here, but the link below is very relevant, as the person involved in the accident is a TeamBHPian.

Cyclist run over by youth in sports car - Mumbai - Cities - The Times of India
Which 'sports car' was he driving?
Old 18th May 2009, 13:46   #2328
Team-BHP Support

Its terrible. On the highways I see so many trucks without tail lights plying at night. Yet the traffic cops who jump in glee if you do 1kmph over speed limit, turn a blind eye.
Even the recent sting operation in Delhi which caught on video cops accepting bribes from truckers failed to have any impact.
In an incident such an overloaded truck killed a few policemen. Karma finally caught up with them. Even that did not waken them from their slumber.
This year over 600 people have died in NCR due to truck accidents, and at night they drive rashly, have no tail lights, come the wrong way. Yet nobody stops them, there are no weighbridges to check their overloading, and even supreme court rulings are not adhered to!
Old 18th May 2009, 14:14   #2329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Which 'sports car' was he driving?
It was a Nissan one if i am not mistaken.
Old 18th May 2009, 14:16   #2330
BHPian

Hit by a truck

My car was hit by a truck from the side as I was moving out of a signal at Kalyan Nagar - near Hebbal on 8th May 09. I had to continue my onward journey to Shimoga - Goa as is.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn4049.jpg  

Old 18th May 2009, 15:59   #2331
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
My car was hit by a truck from the side as I was moving out of a signal at Kalyan Nagar - near Hebbal on 8th May 09. I had to continue my onward journey to Shimoga - Goa as is.
awww this is sad. it must have ruined your trip to goa..
Old 18th May 2009, 16:02   #2332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty9991 View Post
awww this is sad. it must have ruined your trip to goa..
I know. Imperfect start to a perfect destination.Did you clobber..err..what did the trucker say as an excuse ?
Old 18th May 2009, 16:36   #2333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
It was a Nissan one if i am not mistaken.
He was indeed driving the nissan skyline . There is another thread on this accident which has the photograph of this car as published in the newspaper.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...s-india-8.html

Last edited by Rotorhead : 18th May 2009 at 16:38.
Old 18th May 2009, 16:51   #2334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
The truck was stranded in the middle of the road with no hazard warning lights on.i doubt if it it had any.This is horrible and utter negligence on the part of the truck driver.That log has sheared the entire length of the bus.Imagine a huge log hitting you at 100kmph..brrr! that must have been the fate of the passengers on this ill-fated Volvo.Truckies like this should be banned from the country.But who cares?.Everthing's just gonna be the same once the hue and cry has died down.R.I.P.
Truck drivers on the highway and dump truck drivers in Mumbai have no sense of how to drive these trucks. These dumper trucks in mumbai have killed so many, why can't there be a rule that heavy vehicles not allowed on the roads after 8. p.m. It will just sort all problems.

Also on highway there are these 'iron bar' carrying trucks, which have the iron bars hanging before and after the truck, i bet it IS an traffic violation but its over loooked, then these truckers do not have their tail lights, it is a very dangerous during the night time.

May their souls rest in peace.

Cheers,
ac 427
Old 18th May 2009, 17:03   #2335
BANNED

Anyone driving on that road, Mangalore - Bangalore should know about these parked trucks. I have lost count of the amount of accidents i have witnessed on this road.

I myself was travelling back in a Volvo in 2007, which rammed into a stationary truck carrying a container. The KSRTC Volvo driver died on the spot.

He was driving at speeds of 80-90 kmph on that stretch. No one except me in the bus asked the driver to slowdown, i was getting motion sickness because of the swaying of the bus around the twisties. He did oblige and slowed a bit and i went off to sleep, the next time i saw him he was dead stuck behind the steering wheel.

Why dont the passengers complain when they can see the driver driving rashly? No one seems bothered and the false notion that they will reach early if they let him drive like he pleases has proved fatal so many times.

I had made up my mind to complain against the driver after reaching Bangalore but he paid the ultimate price before that could happen. RIP.

Now i never take a bus down that route and prefer taking the Bolero instead.

Last edited by Spitfire : 18th May 2009 at 17:09.
Old 18th May 2009, 17:25   #2336
BHPian

sad to see these pics. so many lives would have been affected.
a lot of such accidents can be prevented to an extent by following some basic driving rules and use of commonsense.

Alcohol, Showing off to friends/GF's, poorly maintained cars (Brake's, Brake Lights, Tail Lamp) , un-educated drivers ( i mean people who are not competent in driving , dont know the road signs/signals etc ), aggressive driving. All these can be avoided !

Most importanly, take you car/two-wheeler out for a drive only when its required, not because you are bored and you just want to drive around very fast (there are the track days for it)

Ok, let the old man stop moaning

Ps. On the highways in India, I have noticed that the brake lamps or tail lamps are almost non-existent ( they dont work ), they are such a hazzard in the nights.

Last edited by vdiatech : 18th May 2009 at 17:28.
Old 18th May 2009, 17:30   #2337
Senior - BHPian

These Volvos with huge glass panes on the sides without support pillars is very very dangerous. Just see the left side of the bus, the roof has caved in after the glass broke. That alone would have hurt a lot of people.
Old 18th May 2009, 17:48   #2338
Senior - BHPian

The Volvo was doing Bangalore to Mangalore. Most of the routes are more of tarred lanes rather than divided roads. Looking at the bus, I shudder to imagine the speeds the driver must be doing. I don't feel its his fault entirely. There are timelines for every trip. But safety must be on top priority, no doubt.
Needless to say, expecting a lorry that konked in the middle of the road w/o hazard lights, is certainly expected, but, once every hundred trips. Overconfidence must have done him in.
Very unfortunate though.
Old 18th May 2009, 19:40   #2339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
These Volvos with huge glass panes on the sides without support pillars is very very dangerous. Just see the left side of the bus, the roof has caved in after the glass broke. That alone would have hurt a lot of people.
Who said a Volvo does not have support pillars for the window panes? It is evident from the images that the left "A" pillar of the bus hit the wooden log at a pretty high speed, and the log smashed through all pillars. The momentum of the bus is the culprit in this case.
Old 18th May 2009, 21:32   #2340
BHPian

Witnessed this accident (no pics, sorry) on Friday evening around 9-ish on my way back from office. I was behind a minibus (public transport) that was going along at a decent speed (about 60). This was along the Towlichoki - Medhipathnam road. Just at the FoodWorld junction (Airport road turn) at Medhipathnam, the driver somehow lost control of the bus. He first banged the rear of an Maruti 800 who was waiting to take the Airport road turn, before hitting a sedan (I could not make out which one, I think a Dezire). The bus was right in front of my vehicle when this happened. I was slowing down to take the turn, so there was a some distance formed between the bus and my car. I still I'm not sure why or how this happened next.

I believed either of two things happened, one, the brakes failed.
Two (more likely), he somehow lost control, as he initially swerved little to the right to avoid a traffic snarl on the left side and then just literally rammed straight ahead.

As the speeds was not high, no one was visible injured, but man, the 800 driver was p*ssed off. He charged out of the car in full temper. I believe there was a family in the car. As for the sedan, it spun 180 degrees from the impact and was literally headlight to headlight with my car. All this happened in a span of seconds. Being a major junction, I saw about 5-6 cops around, a few of whom started diverting traffic around the accident. I was told to move on by the cops as the traffic was piling up behind me and did not see what happened next.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks