Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2009, 11:28   #2491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
O Shhhhh**! Looks like an army tank rear ended it! Any info on the passengers' health?
Sorry, No idea on that.
Old 29th May 2009, 11:57   #2492
Senior - BHPian

Offlate really Iam getting sick with the no.of vehicles flowing in the wrong route and their causal attitude "n" approach. This sucker has claimed 3 lives, but escaped unhurt. Damaged vehicles photos to be followed
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-picture-250.jpg  

Old 29th May 2009, 12:01   #2493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Top end Swift. Conditions of the tyres were very worst and also uneven trye wear highlighting alignment problem

This swift has been there for a long time(about 2 months) now. Looked really smashed up.
Old 29th May 2009, 14:20   #2494
Senior - BHPian

Driver of this vehicle has just started after his tea break before 2-3 kms & he would have never imagined that he's going to have his last breathe shortly. Nasty smash.

Govt bus on the wrong direction doing good speeds at early morning & heard another heavy vehicle before this van swerved away sharply unpacking the surprise for the van driver. Occupants could not get away with that

--

Govt buses kept flowing in the wrong direction past the accident site. None of them cared & kept speeding. Locals stopped buses & went to threaten the drivers
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-picture-251.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-picture-254.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-picture-250.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th May 2009 at 16:09. Reason: Graphic images removed on request of members.
Old 29th May 2009, 14:28   #2495
Senior - BHPian

What a mess. May their Souls RIP. I just hate such nasty people who feel breaking road laws is their prime duty.
Old 29th May 2009, 16:30   #2496
BHPian

is it just me, or has anyone else also noticed that most of the accidents documented here are from down south??

are they more wreckless drivers or the tbhpians there are more active i don't know..
Old 29th May 2009, 16:42   #2497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nasty smash.

Govt bus on the wrong direction doing good speeds at early morning & heard another heavy vehicle before this van swerved away sharply unpacking the surprise for the van driver. Occupants could not get away with that

--

Govt buses kept flowing in the wrong direction past the accident site. None of them cared & kept speeding. Locals stopped buses & went to threaten the drivers
This attitude makes me sick to the stomach. What if that would have been someone amongst us? See when I drive, I remain alert, but I certainly do not expect a vehicle on the same side in the opp direction.
I guess all of us has to be extra careful about this as well.
Early mornings are full of drowsiness and refexes are not at their peak.
Worst is at the night time. When we see a pair of headlights from the opp side, we expect them to be those of a vehicle across the divider, and maintain our speeds. It is too late when one realizes the vehicle is coming on the same lane, but, in opposite direction.
To save a few minutes, people are prepared to risk their own lives and that of the passengers and the oncoming vehicles.

I don't know what kind of punsihment is given to such people
Some 10 years back a PMT driver (Gov buses Pune) killed a guy on a luna.
He was suspended. Since he was a friends relative, I came to know he was back to driving PMTs after 3-4 months. If this is the attitude, then these guys consider themselves 'covered' and might continue the same.
Old 29th May 2009, 16:46   #2498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The driver of the heavy vehicle is responsible for this incident and i guess he would be sleeping until some one woke him up and he swerved the vehicle to left and saved his life and took others life in the vehicle behind.

If the driver of heav vehicle was alert i guess this accident would not have happened.
Old 29th May 2009, 16:55   #2499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
The driver of the heavy vehicle is responsible for this incident and i guess he would be sleeping until some one woke him up and he swerved the vehicle to left and saved his life and took others life in the vehicle behind.

If the driver of heav vehicle was alert i guess this accident would not have happened.
This is exactly what I posted earlier. No one expects a vehicle in the opp direction on the same lane as yours.
The Government bus driver is completely at fault here for breaking the rules and driving on the wrong side of the road.
The heavy vehicle driver who swerved was sticking to his side, the correct side, of the road. How is he at fault?
Old 29th May 2009, 16:58   #2500
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
is it just me, or has anyone else also noticed that most of the accidents documented here are from down south??

are they more wreckless drivers or the tbhpians there are more active i don't know..
There are reckless drivers all around, but speeding the wrong way at 80kmph is very common around bangalore, and also on the BLR chennai highway.
I have so many times taken evasive action when on a semi blind curve a private BLR Hosur bus comes in the fast lane at 80kmph.
The cops look the other way.
Up north its mostly tractors etc., and that too is pretty rare. Sometimes trucks do it, but they are mostly in the leftmost lane, with half the truck off the road.
Old 29th May 2009, 17:09   #2501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is exactly what I posted earlier. No one expects a vehicle in the opp direction on the same lane as yours.
The Government bus driver is completely at fault here for breaking the rules and driving on the wrong side of the road.
I agree the 1st fault is government bus and 2nd fault is the heavy vehicle, because even after seeing the head on coming BUS he continued on the same lane by endangering his life and other vehicle behind him as they will be blinded from seeing in the front what is ahead of this vehicle and will be following the vehicle in front of them.

Quote:
The heavy vehicle driver who swerved was sticking to his side, the correct side, of the road. How is he at fault?
So according to you even if a vehicle from opposite direction is coming head on to you at a very good speed, you still drive in the same lane thinking he will stop the vehicle or go back into his lane by jumping the divider.
Old 29th May 2009, 17:12   #2502
Team-BHP Support

If a vehicle is coming on the wrong side, sometimes it takes time to register, esp early morning when visiblity may be low.
So the heavy vehicle drive may have swerved a little late.
The fault lies with the govt bus, and hopefully he is booked with "Culpable homicide" and not simple rash and reckless driving.
Old 29th May 2009, 17:12   #2503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This attitude makes me sick to the stomach. What if that would have been someone amongst us? See when I drive, I remain alert, but I certainly do not expect a vehicle on the same side in the opp direction.
I guess all of us has to be extra careful about this as well.
Early mornings are full of drowsiness and refexes are not at their peak.
Worst is at the night time. When we see a pair of headlights from the opp side, we expect them to be those of a vehicle across the divider, and maintain our speeds. It is too late when one realizes the vehicle is coming on the same lane, but, in opposite direction.
Exactly my thoughts & as a result I have initiated this .

This is to create an extra awareness on how our highways were being treated by people who do not value 'LIVES". Still there are lots of such photographs in one trip, just imagine the no.of accidents. Let me stop with these. What getting reported is only a part of whats happening. BE ALERT

Article

Last edited by Surprise : 29th May 2009 at 17:30.
Old 29th May 2009, 17:28   #2504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
There are reckless drivers all around, but speeding the wrong way at 80kmph is very common around bangalore, and also on the BLR chennai highway.
I have so many times taken evasive action when on a semi blind curve a private BLR Hosur bus comes in the fast lane at 80kmph.
The cops look the other way.
Up north its mostly tractors etc., and that too is pretty rare. Sometimes trucks do it, but they are mostly in the leftmost lane, with half the truck off the road.
tanveer -- they're there everywhere .

In and around Pune, there are trucks and autos and bikes coming in the opposite direction on NH4 bypass ( dehu -katraj road) .

During my last visit to Gujarat, i had seen a similar spectacle while driving from Porbandar to Rajkot on a 4 lane highway. More often than not, I am in the right lane and at every village service road there is a bloke on the scooter rickshaw coming on at me in the fast lane. All i could do was
Old 29th May 2009, 17:43   #2505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
So according to you even if a vehicle from opposite direction is coming head on to you at a very good speed, you still drive in the same lane thinking he will stop the vehicle or go back into his lane by jumping the divider.
No no, I'm saying that the heavy vehicle driver was not expecting it and hence not alert. When he became alert, it was just not too late. He missed by skin and teeth as some one said.

Had the gov bus driver stuck to the correct side of the road, this would have been completely averted. Therefore I concluded it is the Bus driver's mistake from the outset.

Most Viewed