Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 17:23   #2836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Very well said, Sawyer.
I find that occasionally meditating on broken glass and crushed metal has an excellent effect on my driving. I follow this thread for the same reason.
Brilliantly put

I agree. Looking at these pictures gives me the heebies, but also makes me aware of the consequences of being impatient.
Old 20th July 2009, 17:43   #2837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
good that you were saved GPA, between, which car were you driving?

Thats exactly what i do when i drive a car or a bike, simpy run over the dog , consciously not to apply brakes when running over the dog, they say, when you apply brakes while running over the dog, its likely that the tyres might skid and you are in for a trouble, never experienced the skid part and hence cant confirm that, if anyone has any confirmed info about that, please share.
Yes and I have experience in Saudi of running over too many cats. (You can't find dogs on the roads) There are hundreds of cats all over the place, especially at dusk and in early nights. Best bet is to run over the animal with either side of your tyres right on it. Do not let the animal get in between the tyres, it might hit the underchassis or the differentials and you are sure in for a swerve. We normally drive at 80-100 kmph on inner roads and the animal can cause you real damage if its body gets trapped under. Instead, if you run over, with the car's suspensions acting on the tyres, many a time, I myself have seen the cat get up and run away, injured but not crushed to death. And you go past clear.
Contrary, if you brake while running over, sure to crush the animal into pieces, as the weight of the car is forced downwards on to the road, squeezing the poor thing in between, sandwiched.
Old 20th July 2009, 17:43   #2838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
I have herd many stories around karnataka & south maharastha that some people just walk besides their cattle ( usualy only one ) & when the truck approches very near They hit the cattle as it should come in the path of the truck & get injured or perphas die. they then ransom the truck driver to collect a huge amount to compansate for the animal. believe me they actually do it, sepcially if the animal is old.
Oh My God that is so so sad!
So this is where the human race is heading to! Paisa aaye, jaisa bhi aaye!
Heck I remember my old dhoodh waala still kept feeding a buffalo till she died a natural death, even though she stopped giving milk. But that was 12 years back.
Old 20th July 2009, 18:11   #2839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Brilliantly put

I agree. Looking at these pictures gives me the heebies, but also makes me aware of the consequences of being impatient.
I agree to the above and my resolve of wearing seat-belt and driving cautiously has strengthened looking at the pictures on this thread.

However, there is something else that bothers me. I have seen a few accident pictures on this thread that appeared to be taken by the driver of a car while driving (or stopping) on the road.

If this thread encourages people to do that, I think that's a downside of this thread.
Old 20th July 2009, 19:20   #2840
Senior - BHPian

[quote=gpa;1391959]Has anyone been involved in an accident that was caused as a result of a stray dog darting onto a highway/expressway? I had one last Saturday, but thankfully my car escaped with very minor damage.

But an i10 that was just about to overtake me wasn't lucky and was totalled by hitting a light post on the centre median!/quote]
thats bad .^^

My NHC vtec , ran into a stray dog at 3 am . the dog got stuck btween the tire hub (plastic piece above the wheel) and the tire . whenever i tried to stop the car i was sorrounded by 10-15 dogs so i had to pull the dog along for quite some distance . i was doing 70 and accelerating . nothing happend to the bumper and just the inner hub . took it out and threw it away later . it waws smeared with blood . and so was the car . hope no PETA guy is reading this .

And once i was on my bike doing about 80 on the highway . the divider was broken and i coudnt see it since the road was curved . a cow(calf rather) ran accross the road right in the middle of my bike . i had permanent ligament damage which did not heal up for an year and i just got a surgery done 2 months back .
Old 20th July 2009, 19:31   #2841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
.....And once i was on my bike doing about 80 on the highway . the divider was broken and i coudnt see it since the road was curved . a cow(calf rather) ran accross the road right in the middle of my bike . i had permanent ligament damage which did not heal up for an year and i just got a surgery done 2 months back .
Sorry to hear about that mate, similar thing happened to my friend who broke his ankle trying to avoid a dog, guess what, he was riding at around 30 KMPH at around 10 PM, and fell on the pavement. His bad luck, he has to be bedridden for 10 days to get it cured.

Though we take all measures to be cautious, as they say, always, "expect the unexpected". Hope you are fine after the surgery.
Old 20th July 2009, 19:42   #2842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
Sorry to hear about that mate, similar thing happened to my friend who broke his ankle trying to avoid a dog, guess what, he was riding at around 30 KMPH at around 10 PM, and fell on the pavement. His bad luck, he has to be bedridden for 10 days to get it cured.

Though we take all measures to be cautious, as they say, always, "expect the unexpected". Hope you are fine after the surgery.
My knee almost crushed my dreams of joining the NDA . but now its fine . i was wearing full riding gear except knee gaurds , thats why i escaped scratch less except my badly damaged knee . stray animals are a big problem . if not shot and killed atleast measures should be taken to keep them off the roads .
Old 20th July 2009, 19:48   #2843
Senior - BHPian

[quote=YC.BALENO.CHD;1392947
And once i was on my bike doing about 80 on the highway . the divider was broken and i coudnt see it since the road was curved . a cow(calf rather) ran accross the road right in the middle of my bike . i had permanent ligament damage which did not heal up for an year and i just got a surgery done 2 months back .[/quote]

Sorry to hear about that. So did you come into bodily contact with the calf/cow? :-)
Old 20th July 2009, 19:57   #2844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Sorry to hear about that. So did you come into bodily contact with the calf/cow? :-)
No . what happened was the calf got thrown away after hitting my bike , i fell down and my knee got stuck under the bike and i was dragged along for quite some distance .
Old 20th July 2009, 20:01   #2845
Senior - BHPian

It happens in the US even. Few friends of mine were on a trip to NY for a weekend. Sunday night the driver swerved to avoid a four legged creature that darted across the highway. Broken neck, ankles and what not. All of them recovered.
Old 20th July 2009, 20:11   #2846
BHPian

There was an a head on collision between a Merc E class and WagonR near Chetuva Bridge in Thrissur. The Merc was with regn 9999. There seemed to be no causalities. But the wagonR has lost its bonnet completely and Merc had its driver side damaged. Could not take pic as i did not have a cam with me and it was raining. It seems to be an accident when either Merc or WagonR was overtaking, and lost control due to skidding in wet road during rain i guess.

Definitely Merc has ABS so WagonR might have got its wheels locked due to sudden braking.

These are common sights in Kerala because, drivers are not bothered of wet roads and still speed on these narrow roads. Especially private bus drivers in Kerala. They care the least for oncoming traffic.
Old 20th July 2009, 20:28   #2847
Senior - BHPian

I once ran over a decent sized calf with my Royal enfiel machismo within the city at around 40-50km\hr
nothing happened to me or the calf.
how no one got scathed is still a mystery for me
Old 20th July 2009, 21:14   #2848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I once ran over a decent sized calf with my Royal enfiel machismo within the city at around 40-50km\hr
nothing happened to me or the calf.
how no one got scathed is still a mystery for me
I am sure the story ending would have been different if the mom cow had been around .
Old 21st July 2009, 11:10   #2849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Thats what you think! Given a choice between you and a sweet li'l doggie, people like me will very like run over you, if such an incidendent presents itself.

That said, having driven a moderate amount over all kinds of roads, I have never ever hit a dog or any other animal. Humans can be unpredictable and are capable of doing the strangest things... but never a dog!
Hold on, there is nothing to get personal here. I havent yet encountered such situation, thank God. No one is intentionally hitting the so called sweet li'l one. However if one is cruising at 80kmph and a dog thinks of crossing the road at very moment, there is little can do by slamming brakes. So people just move on, resulting in crushing of that creature. No one here gets on the road with an intent to kill a creature, but when it comes to saving our own lives with the creature, one has no other option.

You have not come across that situation doesnt mean no one else in this world hasnt either. I was hit by a dog diagonally, he just ran and hit my car at the front tyre, luckily no injuries. I parked my car and wanted to see, but it ran away wailing, however other dogs were after me. Once I was going to my school in my cycle , a calf came running and hit me, it took me 5 mins to realize what happened, and the handle of my cycle got bent. luckily, calf was safe.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 21st July 2009 at 11:17.
Old 21st July 2009, 14:51   #2850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
I have herd many stories around karnataka & south maharastha that some people just walk besides their cattle ( usualy only one ) & when the truck approches very near They hit the cattle as it should come in the path of the truck & get injured or perphas die. they then ransom the truck driver to collect a huge amount to compansate for the animal. believe me they actually do it, sepcially if the animal is old.
My friends has experienced such incidents multiple times in narrow Bangalore bye lanes. But they use chicken instead and in almost all such incidents, my friends had to pay very dearly. Sometimes these morons use the same dead chicken multiple times to fleece people.

Most Viewed