Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2009, 12:13   #3031
BANNED

If his headlights were on, why didn't he see the gap in the median? Clearing there is sign post visible. Also he could have mowed down the reflector too (but cannot confirm from the photos).
Note: Reflector only reflects head lights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Seriously, why would he switch off his headlights and drive?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
But seriously what logic was that ?!
Old 4th August 2009, 12:18   #3032
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
If his headlights were on, why didn't he see the gap in the median? Clearing there is sign post visible. Also he could have mowed down the reflector too (but cannot confirm from the photos).
Note: Reflector only reflects head lights.
I have seen similar accidents happen right in front of my eyes.
An indica ploughed into the median, as lots of morons were coming from opposite direction with headlights on full beam
Most medians do not have any reflectors, and when you are blinded by high beam from opposite side, its impossible to spot obstacles.
Esp when there are multiple vehicles coming from opposite direction at high beam

Last edited by tsk1979 : 4th August 2009 at 12:20.
Old 4th August 2009, 12:28   #3033
Senior - BHPian

Though the pictures dont paint the complete picture, I guess he did mow down a reflector.. but only the pillar. I couldnt spot any signage there.

diabloo,
You see good reflectors only on GQs and important highways. Not really on State Highways.
Old 4th August 2009, 12:43   #3034
Senior - BHPian

Guys, it would be like this the driver would have thought as End of straight Road (as per the road seen it is fully muddy and as a repair under process) and he tried to take last moment diversion and ended up on the divider.
Old 4th August 2009, 12:43   #3035
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel for the plants in this case too.

I also feel this is a bad case of after-sales service by a Skoda owner! No way to treat a car!

More seriously, I feel this is the sort of thing that could happen to any of us, with a moment's inattention. Last year, a motor-cyclist was killed in Chennai as the result of a 16-foot hole being left unmarked and unfenced on a dark road.
Old 4th August 2009, 12:47   #3036
BHPian

hi guys,

that place did have a sign board a few days back. But no reflectors as the road is still under construction. But regarding the highways ( NH45 ) its simply awesome roads, compared to the roads in the past. Bit and pieces of work remaining. Some pictures of the roads.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p3130024.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p3130026.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p3130029.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p3130030.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p3130039.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by ram.west : 4th August 2009 at 12:48.
Old 4th August 2009, 12:55   #3037
BANNED

Precisely. There are bigger things to watch out for on Indian road - handling the gap in the median must be piece of cake - may be not for the Skoda driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Last year, a motor-cyclist was killed in Chennai as the result of a 16-foot hole being left unmarked and unfenced on a dark road.
Why drive blind? If you are blinded - slow down, spot the road & proceed. A half-wit or a full-wit, anybody who drives above 60KMph must switch on high beams - else he will be driving blind. I think anything will go above 60 on that road and usage of high beam is justified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
An indica ploughed into the median, as lots of morons were coming from opposite direction with headlights on full beam.
Old 4th August 2009, 13:10   #3038
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Precisely. There are bigger things to watch out for on Indian road - handling the gap in the median must be piece of cake - may be not for the Skoda driver.

Why drive blind? If you are blinded - slow down, spot the road & proceed. A half-wit or a full-wit, anybody who drives above 60KMph must switch on high beams - else he will be driving blind. I think anything will go above 60 on that road and usage of high beam is justified.
I drive above 80kmph on highways and around that speed on state highways. whenever I see an oncoming car, I always dip the headlights for a few seconds so that the other guy can see the path.
Its not difficult, and even in western countries where speeds are in excess of 60mph on undivided roads, people always dip their lights.
That said may times I have been suddenly blinded completely by oncoming traffic, as relative speeds touch in excess of 140kmph and its not easy to suddenly slow down to crawl traffic.
If you had to stop every time you got blinded, you would never reach, so in night driving, even at slow speeds there is some guesswork involved.
Even without being blinded, obstackes like stones blend with the road, and cannot be seen until you hit them.
Old 4th August 2009, 13:14   #3039
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Why all the assumptions? Maybe it was the drivers fault, then again, maybe it wasnt. Thats why its called an 'accident' not 'suicide'. Why judge without any details?
Old 4th August 2009, 14:16   #3040
Senior - BHPian

+1

Its super easy to keyboard jockey around esp when the actual subject isnt there to defend oneself.
Old 4th August 2009, 14:51   #3041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Why all the assumptions? Maybe it was the drivers fault, then again, maybe it wasnt. Thats why its called an 'accident' not 'suicide'. Why judge without any details?
Great point. Hit the nail bang on its head

And thank god no one has posted, if X vehicle would have been in place of the Skoda, it would have crumpled and what not

I guess the purpose of the thread is to highlight stuff that can happen to anyone. So given the state of Indian roads, and barring drunken/rash driving, any incident can happen to any driver in India. Its all a matter of luck. So this thread serves more like a "cautionary reminder" more than anything else.
Old 4th August 2009, 14:57   #3042
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wow.. no wonder there are so many morons who never dip their high beams on the roads and highways. Frankly, if each one stuck to the low beam when driving, others wouldnt really need to switch to high beam. All it acheives is a blinding effect on each other.
Old 4th August 2009, 15:03   #3043
BANNED

Hey buddy, we are analyzing the 'accident' - thats why this thread for. Investigation starts by collecting facts then making a reasonable assumption based on the facts. May be you can give fresh insight. I can't understand why we have stop just after seeing the pictures. Most are curious to know what happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Its even easier press 20 keys & make up a post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Its super easy to keyboard jockey around esp when the actual subject isnt there to defend oneself.
Maybe be the 'full-wit' Skoda driver put his head lights on low heam at high speed, didn't see the divider & went over it
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Wow.. no wonder there are so many morons who never dip their high beams on the roads and highways. Frankly, if each one stuck to the low beam when driving, others wouldnt really need to switch to high beam. All it acheives is a blinding effect on each other.

Last edited by diabloo : 4th August 2009 at 15:05.
Old 4th August 2009, 15:09   #3044
Senior - BHPian

Oye oye i will also give my assumption about that skoda. The driver fell asleep. Unlucky for him the break in the divider came up just when he was reaching dreamland.
Old 4th August 2009, 19:28   #3045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That 'rule' doesn't apply universally.
ONLY IF there is no oncoming vehicle which could throw light on the road - and there is at least 3 Meters wide median separator AND you are not on a LEFT bend. Otherwise, you will be sure blinding the oncoming vehicles.

If There is just a small divider or just a road mark, then You go on high beam ONLY if there is no On coming vehicle within your visible range.
This is where DIP, PASS and HIGH BEAM sequence works.
And I have watched state bus drivers and truck drivers (well most of them) follow this rule perfectly, while no other driver seem to have known this sequence.
Finally, I don't think there is any such speed limit for high beam. I have driven at 110 kmph steadily with Low Beam in Saudi Highways and thats with many cars on the road either side of the highway.

Bear in mind, High beams will blind even the cars going in front of you suddenly, when the look up in their rearview mirror. Of course, they can flip the mirror, but still it is irritating, to have at your tail a high beamer especially on highways...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks