Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2009, 13:13   #3406
Distinguished - BHPian

Forget that the passenger coaxed the driver to move faster & consider an angle where the driver himself made a wrong judgement while overtaking from left and then rear ended the truck? Bad luck for him too. You may never know if he was a "Safe" or an "experienced" driver.

In the wee hours on the Hebbal-BIAL stretch, traffic is lesser and speedguns are taking a nap and even speeds over the stipulated 80kmph would seldom make the passenger feel that it is too fast.

How many times we ourselves have realised that on some stretches speedo needle pointing 3 digits and we've eased on the pedal a bit from there?

On this stretch (and even ring roads), Sand lorries are a menace as they stick to the overtaking lane forever. On a 3 laned highway, If someone has just overtaken and wants to move back to the fast lane (and not the overtaking lane) and spots a mighty truck barely moving at 30kmph, he either has to brake hard on the same lane or downshift and move inside quickly into the fast one.

This situation is very dangerous, especially when we have traffic with similar/same speeds moving in parallel and anyone of them trying to do an overtaking maneuver and further ahead there are these trucks occupying any lane of their choice (especially the 2nd and 3rd lanes).

I remember when BIAL was to open, BTP trained the truck drivers for 15 days to ensure driving only on the left lane. Look at the situation now. We all know if the training was worth it or just another waste of efforts.

Even the illfated Volvo from the BIAS route which met with an accident a few days before was trying to move ahead of a truck from left on the same stretch.

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th September 2009 at 13:17.
Old 9th September 2009, 13:53   #3407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Its an accident no doubt, but its funny nonetheless. No one got hurt as this happened while the truck was stationary and driver sahab and handymanji were perhaps taking a comfort break.
I have seen this in the 'Only happens in India' e-mail forwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Forget that the passenger coaxed the driver to move faster & consider an angle where the driver himself made a wrong judgement while overtaking from left and then rear ended the truck? Bad luck for him too. You may never know if he was a "Safe" or an "experienced" driver.
No no sir, what I am saying is probably the conversation would have shaped up like this.
Techie: Make it quick I'm running late for my flight and might miss it.
Cabbie: No Saaaaaar, can't do above 80. Will be fined.
Techie: I'll pay up the damage apart from the bill, but I need to catch that flight.
Cabbie: OK Saaaaaaaaar!

Obviously, I'm not saying the techie asked the cabbie to take insane decisions and wrong overtakes or play the navigator's role like in rallying, but giving you an idea.
I know this could be a possiblity, as I have done it to a Rickshaw driver.
Frekking auto guy started to go in the wrong direction to skip a long 'U' turn and was facing oncoming traffic at night.
Not my idea to go fast.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 9th September 2009 at 13:54.
Old 9th September 2009, 14:39   #3408
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post

Obviously, I'm not saying the techie asked the cabbie to take insane decisions and wrong overtakes or play the navigator's role like in rallying, but giving you an idea.
Point taken , but I just wanted to give a different thought to this possibility since these sand lorries have been in the news for so many accidents by now as they havent spared any road leading out/into Bangalore and that the cops have been mute spectators for obvious reasons.

A slow moving vehicle like a truck on the fast lane is carrying all possibilities of causing a serious accident in some way or the other.
Old 9th September 2009, 17:23   #3409
BHPian

Safari hit a truck

This is what I saw on my way to Ooty on 29th August. Took the photos around 7am in the morning.

Apparantly the Safari was trying to overtake the truck and had to swerve to the left to avoid an on coming vehicle. We were told people were injured. No details on the injuries.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3661.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3662.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3663.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3664.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3665.jpg  

Old 9th September 2009, 17:33   #3410
BANNED

HOLY LORD..... That is some serious impact on the Safari.
Old 9th September 2009, 17:36   #3411
Senior - BHPian

gosh... safari it torn like a paper, cant visualise how did that happen....
Old 9th September 2009, 17:38   #3412
Senior - BHPian

How did the truck lose its front axle? Did the Safari go hit it head on? And how come the entire left side of the Safari got damaged? Looks like he went under the truck at a very high speed.

The right doors seem unscathed even as the left is non-existent.
Old 9th September 2009, 17:41   #3413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
How did the truck lose its front axle? Did the Safari go hit it head on? And how come the entire left side of the Safari got damaged? Looks like he went under the truck at a very high speed.

The right doors seem unscathed even as the left is non-existent.
Safari driver has tried to overtake the lorry and he has hit the lorry from behind and the lorry driver has lost control and hit the bridge and Axle gone for lorry. The Safari Bonnet has escaped the hit reason could be the lorry did not have proper BARS(whatever you call) at the back.

B'cos Safari was hit on the left side starting from the windscreen the whole upper body has ripped apart and this could show that the Safari was doing good speed at the time of accident.

Last edited by gowda79 : 9th September 2009 at 17:45.
Old 9th September 2009, 17:42   #3414
Senior - BHPian

Finally.. A Safari convertible!
Old 9th September 2009, 17:44   #3415
Distinguished - BHPian

Crazy accident. Can't imagine something of this sort happening to a Safari. Hope the occupants are safe ( which seems doubtful from the remains of the car)
Old 9th September 2009, 17:45   #3416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Its an accident no doubt, but its funny nonetheless.
I think lorry driver thought of doing wheeling has they do in drag race and ended up like this.

I think safari roof got peeled off due the hook present in the side of the lorry to tie ropes.

But anyway it’s a bad crash.
Old 9th September 2009, 17:53   #3417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Finally.. A Safari convertible!
I was going to say Safari roadster. You beat me,well, almost. Doesn't look bad isn't it?
Nevertheless horrible result. I hope what the bystanders are saying is true that there were only injuries.
Old 9th September 2009, 18:21   #3418
Senior - BHPian

Found at munnar , less casualities reported
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-jeep-1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-jeep.jpeg  

Old 9th September 2009, 18:24   #3419
Senior - BHPian

^^ hain?!?!? how did it get up there? Or did it roll down the road into the fields ?
Old 9th September 2009, 18:32   #3420
Senior - BHPian

That Safari accident is ghastly

Most Viewed