Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2009, 18:37   #3421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojgautham View Post
This is what I saw on my way to Ooty on 29th August. Took the photos around 7am in the morning.

Apparantly the Safari was trying to overtake the truck and had to swerve to the left to avoid an on coming vehicle. We were told people were injured. No details on the injuries.

who says TATA's engines are not good. This Safari's engine is the only part that has survived the crash..(i know..its a PJ )

anyways, hope the people too have survived.
Old 9th September 2009, 18:39   #3422
Distinguished - BHPian

This is one time I feel sorry for the truck driver, who (assuming my snap judgement is right) has been in a serious accident, and taken major damage to his employer's truck because the Safari driver overtook in the face of oncoming traffic.
Old 9th September 2009, 18:44   #3423
BHPian

That Safari accident is horrible. Entire body ripped apart. Unbeliveable. Only GOD should save us from these reckless drivers. They don't care for their own lives or for others.
These accidents occur in single lane road. A lorry or other vehicle will be moving slowly. Behind some other vehicle will try to overtake. But oncoming vehicles prevent overtaking. After some time they see some gap in the road and tried to overtake. Error of judgement and this is what happens
Old 9th September 2009, 19:00   #3424
BHPian

Looks like the Safari guy was attempting a six sigma attempt that failed resulting him to turn left abruptly. Lorry driver's reciprocation ended up with him suffering a bad damage.
Old 9th September 2009, 19:04   #3425
Senior - BHPian

I was wondering if the roof & other parts were ripped off to get the people out as I somehow cant guess what kind of impact (also keeping the truck in mind) would make the roof rip off.

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th September 2009 at 19:10.
Old 9th September 2009, 19:07   #3426
Senior - BHPian

Never seen a safari in such a horrible state.
Judging by the pics as the seats are fine people might have escaped with few injuries only.
Old 9th September 2009, 19:09   #3427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I wondering if the roof & other parts were ripped off to get the people out as I somehow cant guess what kind of impact (also keeping the truck in mind) would make the roof rip off.
I was thinking on the exact same lines. The reasons for ripping the roof don't seem obvious though.
Old 9th September 2009, 19:09   #3428
BHPian

^^Agreed. This could have happened due to use of some rudimentary form of Jaws of Life tool - Hydraulic rescue tools - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 9th September 2009, 19:45   #3429
Distinguished - BHPian

My thought too; I cannot imagine an impact taking the roof off like that without reducing the windscreen to grit.
Old 9th September 2009, 19:55   #3430
Senior - BHPian

Looks like it rolled down the hill , by the looks of it the driver must have been thrown on initial impact and the jeep must have conveniently rolled down the estate.

Looks like a soft top to me.
Old 9th September 2009, 21:31   #3431
Senior - BHPian

Saw this in the morning today on Link Road, Malad. How he managed to plant that truck in such a way is beyond my imagination Pole was ripped off from the ground with loose wires hanging around. Probably happened at night. There's no break in the median anywhere near the place where he crashed into it, so the driver was probably drunk, and possibly the acrobatic truck too.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-hahaha_truck.jpg  

Old 9th September 2009, 22:20   #3432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Apparantly the Safari was trying to overtake the truck and had to swerve to the left to avoid an on coming vehicle.
Interesting to try and rebuild/visualise how the accident happened.

Likely scenario: Safari coming up too fast behind truck, looks for space to overtake, starts tailgating due to oncoming traffic.

Gap in oncoming traffic, Safari swings nose out from behind truck, accelerating.

Truck driver sees Safari in mirror, wants to slow down, takes foot off accelerator, applies brakes.

Safari's bonnet passes clear of truck under its overhang, left A-pillar gets hooked to truck's right trailing edge. Something like this...

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-untitled.jpg

Truck continues to brake as Safari continues to accelerate. A-pillar gets sliced off, roof rips off, all in a fraction of a second. Force of impact pushes truck on to the bridge wall, impact causes front axle of truck to tear off.

No apparent damage to right side of truck in the pics. Right rear edge seems to be a little pushed in. Very little damage to Safari's lower part of left front door - it didn't connect with the truck's tyres. Rear left door ripped off when the roof came off.

What do you think?

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 9th September 2009 at 22:23.
Old 9th September 2009, 23:15   #3433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is what I saw on my way to Ooty on 29th August. Took the photos around 7am in the morning.

Apparantly the Safari was trying to overtake the truck and had to swerve to the left to avoid an on coming vehicle. We were told people were injured. No details on the injuries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Interesting to try and rebuild/visualise how the accident happened.

Likely scenario: Safari coming up too fast behind truck, looks for space to overtake, starts tailgating due to oncoming traffic.

Gap in oncoming traffic, Safari swings nose out from behind truck, accelerating.

Truck driver sees Safari in mirror, wants to slow down, takes foot off accelerator, applies brakes.

Safari's bonnet passes clear of truck under its overhang, left A-pillar gets hooked to truck's right trailing edge. Something like this...

Attachment 187863

Truck continues to brake as Safari continues to accelerate. A-pillar gets sliced off, roof rips off, all in a fraction of a second. Force of impact pushes truck on to the bridge wall, impact causes front axle of truck to tear off.

No apparent damage to right side of truck in the pics. Right rear edge seems to be a little pushed in. Very little damage to Safari's lower part of left front door - it didn't connect with the truck's tyres. Rear left door ripped off when the roof came off.

What do you think?
From the impact marks on the Safari it is obvious that whatever hit it was moving from front to back in relation to the car. This is not possible if the Safari was cutting back in behind the truck - the impact would then have been back to front on the car.

One alternative scenario to what SS-traveller has proposed is that the truck suddenly swerved, slowed or braked perhaps due to his front axle coming loose and the Safari swerved to the right to avoid hitting the lorry and almost made it but got snagged on the hooks at the rear of the lorry. (I am mortally afraid of those hooks, chains etc. at the extremeties of Indian lorries).

I like this hypothesis because it explains how a glancing blow from a 1.5 tonne Safari sent a fully loaded 14 tonne truck flying. In this scenario the Safari did not cause the accident to the truck, on the other hand the truck suffered a mechanical failure and the Safari was an unwitting victim (the dangers of tailgating - chapter 1).

What is the truth? Did the Safari do it? Was the truck the aggressor not the victim? Catch up with the truth after a short commercial break!!

Cheers,
Old 9th September 2009, 23:23   #3434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
...the truck suddenly swerved, slowed or braked...

What is the truth? Did the Safari do it? Was the truck the aggressor not the victim?
The Safari was obviously going much faster than the truck - it's stopped with its roof removed perhaps a hundred yards ahead of the truck.

Likely the truck would have suddenly panic-braked when he realised the Safari was nosing in to his right but the road suddenly narrowed down at the culvert, so he (the truck) had no space to pull over to the left.
Quote:
Catch up with the truth after a short commercial break!!
An overnight break... err... brake??
Old 10th September 2009, 08:21   #3435
BHPian

Aaaargh! A model T jeep?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks