Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 12:06   #3481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
A freak accident caused by an overspeeding car.
Flying car hits another - Yahoo! India News
Quote:
Police said a speeding Maruti Swift car coming from the opposite direction was thrown in the air after suddenly applying breaks ahead of a speed breaker.
Confused.. how can a car get thrown in the air while applying sudden brakes?!!

Last edited by clevermax : 15th September 2009 at 12:08.
Old 15th September 2009, 12:08   #3482
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, I guess they applied the breaks once air borne
Old 15th September 2009, 12:12   #3483
BHPian

The report said the Swift braked at a speed bump (most probably last second braking hence ineffective). The bump may have been high enough to launch the swift, if it was traveling at high enough speed, up in the air, like a ramp jump. I've gone airborne on a two wheeler once on an unseen/unmarked speed bump, so this is highly possible.

Last edited by DriverR : 15th September 2009 at 12:13.
Old 15th September 2009, 12:17   #3484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Yeah, I guess they applied the breaks once air borne
he he... tires will squeal rubbing against the air and the car will stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
The report said the Swift braked at a speed bump (most probably last second braking hence ineffective). The bump may have been high enough to launch the swift, if it was traveling at high enough speed, up in the air, like a ramp jump. I've gone airborne on a two wheeler once on an unseen/unmarked speed bump, so this is highly possible.
I don't think any hump can make car that much airborne so that it can fall on top of another car! It must be a abrupt slope or something which acted as a ramp.
Old 15th September 2009, 12:24   #3485
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I don't think any hump can make car that much airborne so that it can fall on top of another car! It must be a abrupt slope or something which acted as a ramp.
You clearly underestimate our road builders. I have seen bumps which are so steep that vehicles once launched become satellites. There is rumour that ISRO uses these bumps for launches, hence the low cost to launch satellites in India
Old 15th September 2009, 12:27   #3486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
There is rumour that ISRO uses these bumps for launches, hence the low cost to launch satellites in India
Soon they will install stoppers in mid air, right on either sides of the hump to knock off cars that become airborne.
Old 15th September 2009, 12:38   #3487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
he he... tires will squeal rubbing against the air and the car will stop

Well my alto turned turtle 3 times in exactly a similar accident under the Dhaula kuan bridge.

There was a newly constructed metal made hump which was not in my knowledge and i was doing little over 90 when the biker in front of me who was doing maybe little more braked suddenly on seeing the breaker, i jammed my brakes and sverved left to save him thus doing a 90* and hitting the breaker sideways and thus the turtle turns.

My car landed with the co-drivers side on the road and the drivers seat side towards the sky. I got out unscratched as i had the belts on and the biker happily sped away.

I've also posted the pics of my car earlier in this thread. I will paste the link once i find it.
Old 15th September 2009, 12:56   #3488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
hitting the breaker sideways and thus the turtle turns.
That expains why you did not go air bourne. Had you met the braker on the front two wheels you could have hit the biker in the lower back.
Old 15th September 2009, 14:01   #3489
Senior - BHPian

saw a Tata's truck badly trashed from front weindsheild, whole metal panel was bend inside cabin with no glass left to be seen, couldnot take pictures though.
Old 15th September 2009, 14:10   #3490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
There was a newly constructed metal made hump which was not in my knowledge and i was doing little over 90 when the biker in front of me who was doing maybe little more braked suddenly on seeing the breaker, i jammed my brakes and sverved left to save him thus doing a 90* and hitting the breaker sideways and thus the turtle turns.
You were very lucky...! glad to know no serious injuries happened to you.

I was just visualizing that scene... in slow motion.. it would be one hell of a scene... like the ones you see in movies!
Old 15th September 2009, 14:21   #3491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I agree with you. But only partly. Yes, the danger involved is never considered while performing such stunts.

However, the standard of living in other countries are higher and people can afford public transport to a large extent. The lack of employment coupled with the lower standard of living in our country result to such issues. Apart from Vietnam and a few other countries, you don't see daddy, mommy, bhaiya and Tommy the dog wrestling for space while dad weaves his way through traffic!
Have to disagree there. I don't think lack of employment and lower standard of living has anything to do with 5-6 people riding on a single moped/bike. Its the whole culture of it which is accepted and passed as normal. Some people actually think its pretty cool to travel like that and the driver considers himself a hero. I remember seeing ads in which mopeds carry about 10+ army men, mopeds carrying dont how many milk cans etc. All these I think are more reason for this extremely dangerous stunts on our country's road.
Old 15th September 2009, 15:51   #3492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool_Red View Post
Some people actually think its pretty cool to travel like that and the driver considers himself a hero.
Actually it makes their job easy in terms of not making multiple trips as well saving on petrol. I have observed they take these serious threats very light & will argue that's the routine for years without any untoward incidents. They wanted that to happen to learn themselves its a stupid thing. They look at the different side of the coin... safety is not their first priority
Old 15th September 2009, 20:32   #3493
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool_Red View Post
Have to disagree there. I don't think lack of employment and lower standard of living has anything to do with 5-6 people riding on a single moped/bike. Its the whole culture of it which is accepted and passed as normal. Some people actually think its pretty cool to travel like that and the driver considers himself a hero. I remember seeing ads in which mopeds carry about 10+ army men, mopeds carrying dont how many milk cans etc. All these I think are more reason for this extremely dangerous stunts on our country's road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Actually it makes their job easy in terms of not making multiple trips as well saving on petrol. I have observed they take these serious threats very light & will argue that's the routine for years without any untoward incidents. They wanted that to happen to learn themselves its a stupid thing. They look at the different side of the coin... safety is not their first priority

People in India do not consider safety while traveling on a two wheeler. In order to acquire a helmet, they would have to shell out 500-750 for a decent one. That would mean that the money he saved for fuel would go into the helmet. So he would rather cover that distance by spending the money on fuel rather than a helmet. That's what I mean by low standard of living. People cannot afford half the things they need. In fact this trend is seen among car buyers too. I know friends of mine who are so ignorant, they decided to trade the airbags and abs with a pair of fog lamps and a spoiler! They want their money's worth all the time. It has a lot to do with the standard of living. And the lack of common sense as well!

When 5 people sit on a moped, it's purely because they either cannot afford any other means of transport, or they do not want to spend what they have when they see an alternative means, despite the danger involved!
Old 15th September 2009, 21:06   #3494
BHPian

One of my colleague who recently got married was coming from coimbatore met with an accident in his Santro which collided head on head with a private bus, which was not spotted by my colleague and the bus driver this happened in a curve.

my colleague and his parents were expired on the spot, and left his wife with severe injuries.

did not had the pictures, but heard that it was listed in the Tamilnadu Dinamalar Paper. where people started saying that it was really horrible at the spot.

will some how get the pictures and post them.
Old 15th September 2009, 21:42   #3495
Senior - BHPian

Speedy, thats HORRIFIC! it would bring a shiver if one thinks about it! very sad!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks