Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 21:43   #3496
BHPian

@speedy

We were discussing this accident just a while ago and i see this post first after logging back. Scary accident. May the departed souls RIP
Old 15th September 2009, 22:07   #3497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
When 5 people sit on a moped, it's purely because they either cannot afford any other means of transport, or they do not want to spend what they have when they see an alternative means, despite the danger involved!
Exactly! And cases like small children being transported on the footboards is even more obviously due to lack of options rather than a reluctance to be safe. If you need to go three km away, walking takes too long while buses would get you there sometime within the next month. What can you do but use a moped with the kid in front?
Old 15th September 2009, 22:12   #3498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post

my colleague and his parents were expired on the spot, and left his wife with severe injuries.
Oh my God thats very very tragic. RIP!!
Old 15th September 2009, 23:49   #3499
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Exactly! And cases like small children being transported on the footboards is even more obviously due to lack of options rather than a reluctance to be safe. If you need to go three km away, walking takes too long while buses would get you there sometime within the next month. What can you do but use a moped with the kid in front?
Point is, in other parts of the world, people do not think like that --- and, if they did, the law would soon convince them otherwise.
Old 16th September 2009, 05:55   #3500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
You were very lucky...! glad to know no serious injuries happened to you.

I was just visualizing that scene... in slow motion.. it would be one hell of a scene... like the ones you see in movies!
You bet man , it still gives me shivers as to what would have happened if i was not wearing the seat belt or if the car had gone and hit the iron railing. I saw my entire life in those few seconds before realising that i walked out alive.

@ Prince pervez - You are right if i had not sverved then it would have hit the biker real hard and could have caused a major injury. All in all i lost a lot of money but save 2 lives , regardless of whose fault it was.
Old 16th September 2009, 09:47   #3501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Point is, in other parts of the world, people do not think like that --- and, if they did, the law would soon convince them otherwise.
Exactly what I wanted to say. Its just the general culture of it. People in India know that if they are caught the worst that can happen is a fine of 100 bucks. The Law needs to catch up with this.

Last edited by Liverpool_Red : 16th September 2009 at 10:06.
Old 16th September 2009, 10:13   #3502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I know friends of mine who are so ignorant, they decided to trade the airbags and abs with a pair of fog lamps and a spoiler!
What is the point in buying a car with ABS and airbags, if people are not even using seat belts? Major percentage of Indians drive without wearing seat-belts. They just don't know how it can be a life saver in the event of a crash. Some people complain that it restricts their movement & hinders with driving.

And, out of all those who wear seat-belts, 75% do it to avoid the penalty if caught by a traffic police.

Seat belt is the primary life saver, not Airbags. you are much safer if you wear seat-belts even if you have air-bags.

And you are talking about people not buying cars with ABS and airbags!
Old 16th September 2009, 10:48   #3503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Seat belt is the primary life saver, not Airbags. you are much safer if you wear seat-belts even if you have air-bags.
Precisely. That is why they are called SRS (Supplementary Restraint System) Airbags, with the stress on seatbelts being the primary restraint system.
Old 16th September 2009, 14:40   #3504
Senior - BHPian

I totally agree with you on that one , i'm a living example for the same.
Old 16th September 2009, 14:53   #3505
BHPian

Quote:
One of my colleague who recently got married was coming from coimbatore met with an accident in his Santro which collided head on head with a private bus, which was not spotted by my colleague and the bus driver this happened in a curve.

my colleague and his parents were expired on the spot, and left his wife with severe injuries.

did not had the pictures, but heard that it was listed in the Tamilnadu Dinamalar Paper. where people started saying that it was really horrible at the spot.

will some how get the pictures and post them.
I did read the news in the paper, even the bangalore edition "Daily Thanthi" has published this news, the photo of the crashed Santro was looking horrible, the front portion is totally smashed. It was mentioned like the newly married couple got married just 10 days back. May their soul R.I.P.
Old 16th September 2009, 15:13   #3506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One of my colleague who recently got married was coming from coimbatore met with an accident in his Santro which collided head on head with a private bus, which was not spotted by my colleague and the bus driver this happened in a curve.

That's terrible news. May the departed RIP.
May god give strength to the lady for coping up with such a terrible tragedy.
Old 16th September 2009, 15:22   #3507
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool_Red View Post
Exactly what I wanted to say. Its just the general culture of it. People in India know that if they are caught the worst that can happen is a fine of 100 bucks. The Law needs to catch up with this.
Forget about being caught! The danger involved is what people in India fail to understand despite the number of accidents taking place everyday. I wonder what it would take for people to understand the nightmare behind an accident. Fines are no good, and death right in front of them will not affect their decision on sitting on the front mud guard of the moped while they face their four brothers perched on the tank and on the back!
Old 16th September 2009, 16:35   #3508
Distinguished - BHPian

This Indica did a 'wrong side' on the NH58 a few days ago, right in front of a police checkpost, with the result that a truck gently brushed by him. Caused a traffic holdup on the highway for two-and-a-half hours, in which yours truly was also stuck.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident1.jpg  

Old 16th September 2009, 16:38   #3509
Senior - BHPian

Thats one mangled mess. What is the fate of the occupants of the car ?
Old 16th September 2009, 17:21   #3510
BHPian

Quote:

did not had the pictures, but heard that it was listed in the Tamilnadu Dinamalar Paper. where people started saying that it was really horrible at the spot.

will some how get the pictures and post them.
That is real sad, may their souls rest in peace.

Last edited by manojgautham : 16th September 2009 at 17:24.

Most Viewed