Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2009, 16:12   #3616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
+ 1.

Old Airport Road. Educated, literate and well travelled folks from elite offices in Diamond District and INTEL don't use the skywalk just off Leela Palace.
If you assume that these people have min CIVIC sense then most of the time you are wrong. A large part of IT prof / Educated people didnt yet learned to be even maintain a Q.
Old 29th September 2009, 16:19   #3617
BHPian

Well I had the same experiance. Was going to Coorg and while on the Bangalore Mysore highway I was cruising along at around 100-110 when all of a sudden I come across a stupid truck driving in the middle of the road with his headlights on, like that is helping anyone in the middle of the day. All because he did not want to travel the extra few kms to take a U turn. Now I must have seen him when I was like 25 meters away from him as I had just crossed a blind turn, but I can only imagine the next guy behind me..

Its really sad that there people still behave like its 1975 and there is no traffice on the roads except them. this could have potentially been a very bad accident.

Last edited by mav2000 : 29th September 2009 at 16:20.
Old 29th September 2009, 16:21   #3618
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
If you assume that these people have min CIVIC sense then most of the time you are wrong.
That's what is disturbing.

But sample this. I was in CA, USA with a colleague who is one of those who doesn't believe in walking up the skywalk to get to the opposite side.

This same person used to take the skywalk over the parking area at our clients location without being asked to. He never ever broke the rule there. And this was not even a road. But was required as a rule to take the skywalk if you used the parking lot.

But when he is back he won't take the skywalk on old airport road.

So these people will follow rules where they know they will hauled up but don't care here as they know they will get away with it.

Really really frustating.

Today i spoke to some security folks from Diamond District asking them whether they can control the parking of auto's outside on the road. They said they can't do much but they will surely connect me with the Traffic Police incharge to see if they can get some permission from them to handle the traffic around here. Will keep this thread updated.
Old 29th September 2009, 17:43   #3619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
A large part of IT prof / Educated people didnt yet learned to be even maintain a Q.
There is a difference between being educated and being a literate.
Old 29th September 2009, 18:10   #3620
BHPian

Unfortunately this is India. There is no difference between Educated and Literate. There is a disaster waiting to happen in every corner.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p0004.jpg  

Old 29th September 2009, 18:24   #3621
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprisingly no one is sitting on the roof here, here in Haryana and Rajasthan you'll see people sitting on the roof of softtop commander jeeps.
Old 29th September 2009, 18:27   #3622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Unfortunately this is India. There is no difference between Educated and Literate. There is a disaster waiting to happen in every corner.
They are just practicing for the Annual Stuff-as-many-morons-as-you-can-find-into-a-car awards. Many groups who fail are then nominated for the Annual Darwin awards. This is India's way of population control, hell with everyone else's safety.
Old 29th September 2009, 18:50   #3623
BHPian

Quote:
Such scenes are pretty common in rural parts, but this looks like in Bangalore .

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Surprisingly no one is sitting on the roof here, here in Haryana and Rajasthan you'll see people sitting on the roof of softtop commander jeeps.
Take a look at this one -
  • There is a guy sitting *opposite* to the driver.
  • Look at the condition of the vehicle.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_00722.jpg
Old 29th September 2009, 19:07   #3624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
City speed limits vary between 40-60, peripheral main roads in cities are restricted to 80 and so are the highways. Dont think legal limit of 100 or above is put up at any place in India. Express way users can maybe confirm?
No speed limits on NH/expressways for non-commercial LMV only, where speed limit markers are not installed. Toll paying expressways generally have 90 km/h limits where signs are put up. HMV speed limit 40 km/h in built-up areas, 65 km/h on highways. Two-wheeler limit 50 km/h everywhere.

More details here: Driving Speed,Speed Limit in India,Speed While Driving
Old 29th September 2009, 19:38   #3625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Such scenes are pretty common in rural parts, but this looks like in Bangalore .
Yes this is in Bangalore. On the outer ring road. Even the traffic police / RTO don't care. The difference in fare is just Rs.3/-. If the Bus fare is Rs.8/- for a particular stop, these tempo trax charge just Rs.5/-

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th September 2009 at 15:31. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 29th September 2009, 20:06   #3626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
Its' 100 Kmph and they increased this recently may be 1 year back
Markers or No Markers doesn't matter as per written law. Speed limits are 50 Kmph within cities and 90 Kmph on highways across India. Only exception may be Ahemdabad - Varodra expressway.

Last edited by humans : 29th September 2009 at 20:07.
Old 29th September 2009, 20:33   #3627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
+ 1.

Old Airport Road. Educated, literate and well travelled folks from elite offices in Diamond District and INTEL don't use the skywalk just off Leela Palace.
@spitfire, the last time i saw it, the skywalk was nowhere near Leela Palace. From Leela, one can make use of the zebra crossing to come to Manipal side. No need to get to the skywalk.

People use the skywalk to go from Manipal side towards TGIF (the other side)

There is an un-official zebra crossing in front of Diamond District. How many of us stop and let them cross?

Yes, i have seen autos parked near INTEL entrance blocking the left lane of an already clogged road. But INTEL is not near the U-turn at Leela. There are 2 other buildings between the U-turn and Intel. Did you really see such a big Auto queue from Intel till U-turn. If yes, then its BAD.
What were the cops doing?

-- Torqy

Last edited by Torqy : 29th September 2009 at 20:41.
Old 29th September 2009, 21:58   #3628
BHPian

Quote:

The misadventure of a car driver on Hosur Road near Jhonson Market opposite Elgin apartments killed two bike riders on the spot on Tuesday evening. The driver of the car was apparently trying to cross the road by riding over the divider on the road. A City Bus coming the opposite direction tried to avoid the car. The bike riders were behind the bus and tried to overtake the bus and was caught between the car and the bus. The Bus Driver escaped, while the Car Driver is in hospital with serious injuries.
Bangalore Mirror has carried the news, issue dated 30/09/2009, Page 6.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-111.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-222.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-333.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 30092009_BGMIR.pdf (1.04 MB, 1617 views)

Last edited by Sarvodaya : 29th September 2009 at 22:03.
Old 29th September 2009, 22:01   #3629
Senior - BHPian

Is that a Lancer ? ^^^
Old 29th September 2009, 22:09   #3630
Senior - BHPian

That is a horrific accident. I hope the full facts are established and the guilty punished. What was the car driver doing trying to cross a divider if that's indeed true!!?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks