Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2009, 11:24   #3706
Senior - BHPian

Can we at team-bhp start a sticky thread on which bus operators are good/safe and are known to provide seatbelts? Just data points - no chatter allowed in that thread.

Its not about CVs, but which bus operators retain them (i am hard pressed to recall). Info will help us guys choose better. What say?
Old 7th October 2009, 12:13   #3707

Hi All,

A very sad accident!
The bus has extensive damage on the left side.This means that the truck was approaching from the left,which also means that this accident could have been avoided to some extent had the volvo driver been cautious at the intersection.

The reports say 5 dead in the bus.What about people in the truck?Nothing has been mentioned about casualties in the truck.
Old 7th October 2009, 12:21   #3708
Senior - BHPian

stanjohn123: You say that you're addicted to speed. If you want to quench your thirst to drive at real high speed - TRACK DAY is the answer for you. Its a much better safer option & also you can explore your limits.

I have not driven or dare to touch the speeds mentioned by you or does not have skill set to attempt that. But have driven occasionally at speeds ranging 120-130-140 kmph when the roads were really empty with no soul in sight & has got open field on either sides. Have imagined what would be the case, if someone walks across or there is a big pothole ahead. One thing I learn from that is its definitely not possible to control at those speed on some sudden intervention & the impact would be much much higher at those greater speeds. We stand to have a chance at lesser speeds though not guaranteed.

Have read Zappo mentioning that 80-100 kmph is the preferable speeds given our Indian road conditions & I always try to stay at that limits controlling the urge to reach the 120 kmph mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-lorru.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-lorry1.jpg  

Last edited by Dippy : 7th October 2009 at 14:34. Reason: Please do not type the entire post in Bold
Old 7th October 2009, 13:46   #3709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
stanjohn123: You say that you're addicted to ...
How come tires climbed to the top of truck ? This truck is mangled so much, I had to spend some time to figure out it is trucks front (apart from LHS headlight)

Last edited by anujmishra : 7th October 2009 at 13:47.
Old 7th October 2009, 13:50   #3710
BHPian

Not sure whether this fact has been highlighted before:

Let's accept the fact that none of our Highways (whether 2 lane or 4 lane or 6 lanes ) are designed to travel at speeds above 60-80kmph.

Luckily , a few years back , i got a chance to travel at 120kmph in the freeways of USA. It was an eye opener for me since i had no idea about how a road supporting such high speeds should look like.

India's infrastructure comes nowhere close to those freeways. With lot of irritating intersections and literally no "Exit ramp" concept and with hardly any grade separators etc etc , our highways do not instill any confidence in driver's minds to drive at high speeds.

If anyone has done 100-120kmph on indian highways and is still hale and healthy with no broken body parts , then he indeed is a blessed guy. I for one do not cross 60 -80 kmph even on a reasonably good road like the one which links Bangalore to BIAL.
Old 7th October 2009, 13:53   #3711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
How come tires climbed to the top of truck ?
Those are spare tyres dude
Old 7th October 2009, 13:55   #3712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
How come tires climbed to the top of truck ?
I think the truck was carrying those tires, not running on them
Old 7th October 2009, 14:25   #3713
BHPian

That Volvo wreck is horrible. What the driver can do in a fraction of second? While we have good highways, our public driving style is still in 1947. May their soul RIP.

When volvo introduced their Buses, they offered driver training for drivers. I doubt whether they still are offering the same. In my opinion, all these private operators never send their drivers for training. They learn to drive volvo buses by trial and error methods. Till date, I have not seen a single Volvo Bus without any scratches, damages, broken glasses.
Old 7th October 2009, 14:52   #3714
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
Not sure whether this fact has been highlighted before:

Let's accept the fact that none of our Highways (whether 2 lane or 4 lane or 6 lanes ) are designed to travel at speeds above 60-80kmph.

Luckily , a few years back , i got a chance to travel at 120kmph in the freeways of USA. It was an eye opener for me since i had no idea about how a road supporting such high speeds should look like.

India's infrastructure comes nowhere close to those freeways. With lot of irritating intersections and literally no "Exit ramp" concept and with hardly any grade separators etc etc , our highways do not instill any confidence in driver's minds to drive at high speeds.

If anyone has done 100-120kmph on indian highways and is still hale and healthy with no broken body parts , then he indeed is a blessed guy. I for one do not cross 60 -80 kmph even on a reasonably good road like the one which links Bangalore to BIAL.
Well said - additionally a point that you have should mentioned is, despite the fact that those freeways are well laid, the lane discipline & observance of speed limit is something that begs for implementation in our country. Given the nature of our policemen and attitude of our general public we are not worth having such freeways. The speed limit on the freeways in US is at most 60MPH / 80MPH (in some places) and its observed duly by most.
Old 7th October 2009, 15:21   #3715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
When volvo introduced their Buses, they offered driver training for drivers. I doubt whether they still are offering the same. In my opinion, all these private operators never send their drivers for training. They learn to drive volvo buses by trial and error methods. Till date, I have not seen a single Volvo Bus without any scratches, damages, broken glasses.
Why does it require a special skill to operate VOLVO buses?
Old 7th October 2009, 15:29   #3716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Why does it require a special skill to operate VOLVO buses?

He means standard driver training. Which needs to be given to all bus and truck drivers since they have zero road safety sense.
Old 7th October 2009, 15:45   #3717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
I think this is the same as rjstyles said a few posts before. Guess that truck driver came onto the highway from the intersection and the fast Volvo had no chance.

The scene Looks ghastly
Yeah this is the same one.They even had a bus full of riot control cops (vajra ?)stationed at the location. 2 truck loads of sand/stone powder was dumped on the road coz of the oil spill.
Old 7th October 2009, 18:03   #3718
Senior - BHPian

Volvo Crash and the above are horrific....may the lost live RIP.....
seriously these coach drivers require a training for safe driving.I have seen these volvo drivers driving coaches in such a manner that as if they are driving Tavera's or similar(read taxi's), Be it in south, west or north, story is same...
Old 7th October 2009, 18:58   #3719
Senior - BHPian

which car is this ??????
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc01426.jpg  

Old 7th October 2009, 19:02   #3720
Senior - BHPian

This surely looks like a Porsche to me..

Most Viewed