Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2009, 19:28   #3781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I claimed cash loss for my accent, i sold the car to some dealer and got rest of the amount from reliance insurance.
How much was the insured amount and how much did you get back in total?

We have a copy of the FIR that our driver filed, and we could show them (our insurance company - United insurance in our case) some cases like yours. Any help and copies of yours would be of great help....
Old 21st October 2009, 17:43   #3782
BHPian

Goa Express Train rams into stationary Mewar Express near Mathura. The moron officials are quoting 20 dead. News is that the both the trains were on the same track. How can both the trains run on the same track
Were the staff sleeping? The modern railway signals are said to be fool proof.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-11.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-22.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-33.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-44.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-55.jpg
Old 21st October 2009, 18:22   #3783
Senior - BHPian

There was a accident reported in today morning newspapers of Chennai. The accident was between a car & bus near Ulundurpet. The 5 occupants of the car dint survive the crash.

May their souls RIP!

The accident looked like the car has hit the side of the bus and gone underneath completely shaving off the top of the car!
Old 21st October 2009, 19:20   #3784
BANNED

Quote:
1) Before concluding that its Driver error, I would like to say that this can be wrong. Why are we eliminating technical fault ? Remember, Indian railways is already very heavily overloaded, sometimes even getting berth is difficult for trains. So I wonder when the train engine and bogies are serviced.
Cannot agree more on the overloading of the resources. As for the complaint on the driver, Its not my conclusion... its the statement from railways. From what i little know, they generally blame the signaling staff & not their loco drivers.

Quote:
3) The main point. If the train had rammed the stationary train at around 110 kmph, then the damage would have been more. Here IMHO, the driver did manage to slow down before hitting the boogie.
Exactly the point being put forward by IR. Apparently the signal was realized too late and the train was over-speeding...this gave them little time to bring to a full halt and hence the carnage

Quote:
4) Operating conditions. I think that the engine driver does not have proper facilities available for ventilation. Next that its almost fixed scenery that the driver has to witness of tracks can also make the driver fall asleep.
This is something that i beg to disagree with. You are paid to drive not to sleep. Talking of fixed scenery, it cant be worst than the pilots. Atleast you having moving landscape here (ofcourse not in the dark though ). A railway driver is never alone in the cabin. There is an engineer along with him. They don't have to worry about over takings, stupid lorries blocking the way or people running into your way(you cross, you die) - those worries are left to us, road users. They just have to worry about signals and ensure the track ahead is clear (infact a lineman for every 10km is employed by IR to help here)... So sleep is never an excuse. As far ventilation, you are driving at 100kmph in a cold night; its not going to be sultry.. its an electric train.

Quote:
What has to be done is that we have to get to the root of the problem such that these human errors can be reduced.
And what about anti collision devices ? Do they work only for head on collisions ?
We do, KR(konkan railway) came up with the idea and even showed an experiment in NDTV.. two trains moving towards each other and the KR boss standing in the middle, the trains come to a halt at a safe distance - courtesy the new anti collision device invented by KR. But is our government ready to fund that ? They have time only to burn coaches for political gains (read godhra) or introduce new trains from their native or introduce unscheduled stops in their state. Infact its said we had a railway minister who introduced a intercity train so that his daughter could goto a med school. The train had an unscheduled stop to drop the daughter and pick her up everyday... so much for a state run machinery.

Last edited by srikanths1 : 21st October 2009 at 19:24.
Old 22nd October 2009, 07:19   #3785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
I tried to get the photographs of the ill-fated Lancer posted here, but could not find on the net. That was really shocking to see the condition of the Lancer with just the boot was left. Seeing the picture itself has dented 4-5% of my Oct end long drive plans

Disturbing developing trend is that such accidents have started to happen even during day time.
Got this picture from Dinakaran ePaper site. A horrible scene.

Note from mod: Pic removed, please use links for disturbing pictures instead of attaching them

Last edited by tsk1979 : 23rd October 2009 at 12:31.
Old 22nd October 2009, 08:52   #3786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightpower View Post
Got this picture from Dinakaran ePaper site. A horrible scene.
This is what I gather from the local newspapers:
  • The Lancer started from Dindigul at about 0400 in the morning - driver fatigue (he should have got up even earlier) could have been the cause
  • This highway to Madras, while serving as a bye-pass to the town of Ulundurpet, actually doesn't have a bridge to go over a road that connects the bye-pass to the Ulundurpet town - so the National Highway and this small road cross each other at the same level
Old 22nd October 2009, 12:22   #3787
Team-BHP Support

Note from Team BHP Support

A bunch of OT posts have been deleted including insurance queries and RIP message.
Sorry about the inconvenience caused.
But please use relevant threads to post your queries.

The purpose of this thread is Accident in India with Pics.
There are thread on how to improve road safety, driver disciple or its lack and so on.
Please use those threads.

Thanks for your co-operation.

Last edited by bblost : 23rd October 2009 at 11:31.
Old 23rd October 2009, 10:04   #3788
BHPian

Freak accident between Swift and bike on Wardha Road. 22nd Oct 09

Witnessed a freak accident yesterday on Wardha road, Nagpur in front of Pride hotel. A red swift (MH31CN3757) collided with a pulsar bike at break neck speed (>80kmph) . The impact was so bad that the front right side of the car was totally messed up, the side view mirror, the driver door were totaled (This I observed post I spotted the car while going back home). The right side bumper came off right at the spot. The water tank that for wiper was damaged and all the water was spilled over the road. Luckily the guys at the bike were saved as they had small bruises and no major damage, the bike was totaled though.

The car wala off-course ran away, however while I was returning back, I spotted the car in plot range 74-77 at Telecom Colony, Pratap nagar. No clear cut idea if it was just parked there to mislead anyone.

~LT
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:14   #3789
BHPian

This news article regarding an accident on the expressway appeared in the local newspaper.

Strangely, it seems all those involved in this accident, except those traveling in the Ford died, though it was hit before the other vehicle. The article says that the car occupants escaped with just minor injuries, though it did not mention about the state of their vehicle.

Source : Four dead, two injured in e-way mishap - Pune - City - The Times of India

This appeared in the 'Pune TOI' edition:

According to the police, the driver of a tempo (MH 04/DK-7836), which was coming towards Pune, lost control over the vehicle and entered the wrong lane and rammed a Ford car (MH 06/AV-9699) at 10.30 am. The tempo also dashed against a pick-up jeep (MH 06/AG-4241), which was going towards Mumbai.

The mishap left three people, who were travelling in the tempo, dead. The driver of the pick-up jeep Kamthe also died in the mishap. Two women, who were travelling in the car escaped with minor injuries, police said.

The Wadgaon Maval police are investigating the case.
Old 24th October 2009, 01:02   #3790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanths1 View Post
Cannot agree more on the overloading of the resources. As for the complaint on the driver, Its not my conclusion... its the statement from railways. From what i little know, they generally blame the signaling staff & not their loco drivers.

Exactly the point being put forward by IR. Apparently the signal was realized too late and the train was over-speeding...this gave them little time to bring to a full halt and hence the carnage
If the IR were lax with servicing or upkeep, the trains would never be able to cope up with the load that is put on them. I have been travelling exclusively by trains since last year after a very very scary landing experience and even today as soon as the train pulls into a station technicians fan out with their torches and hammers looking for signs of equipment failure, cracked wheels, loose/leaking air/brake hoses.

The trains like any other on a common route heading in the same direction would be on the same track.The Mewar express was not supposed to stop where it did. 3 police constables suspected of pulling the chain are under suspension pending investigation. As for overspeeding well the Goa Kranti express is a pseudo Rajdhani and like any other express must have been around 100K (agra to delhi stretch is where most trains on this route make up the time). I am pretty sure that the driver did notice the signal as well as saw the train ahead and applied the brakes well in time, but its momentum just carried it forward and there was no way that the driver could alter the laws of physics. Even then he has done an excellent job of containing the damage.
Though in the absence of figures as to the distance between the last signal and the stationary train, the actual speed of the moving train, where the brakes were applied etc, it is futile to blame anyone. I am sure that the IR must be investigating and the confidential tech. analysis report will eventually find out who was at fault, what is made known to the public is another story.

Prima facie two things are clear
1. If the driver of the Goa train had not applied the brakes in time that giant behemoth of an engine would have smashed through not just half of the last bogie but at least half a dozen with atleast half of the Mewar train derailed and I am not even beginning to mention the first bogie of the Goa train that would have hit its own engine from behind and been smashed up & the following ones that would have jacknifed.
2. The mewar express was stationary as the chain was pulled, whether by the police constables or someoneelse, it was not supposed to be where it was.
Old 24th October 2009, 10:53   #3791
Senior - BHPian

spotted this on the tindivanam-chennai highway

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-191020091252.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-191020091253.jpg
Old 25th October 2009, 10:09   #3792
Senior - BHPian

A few days ago in East Delhi , next to Shahdara Flyover, early morning, this truck had turned sideways. From the looks of it, it looks like a sudden braking with a turn at high speed most probably to avoid some jaywalker crossing at the road. Thanks to broken barricades in the divider, pedestrians are seen sneaking out from one or the other gaps.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-picture-016.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-picture-034.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-picture-171.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-picture-173.jpg  

Old 25th October 2009, 14:17   #3793
BHPian

Pics of my accident (my Baleno rear ending a TNSTC Bus) 26th March 09

I was going thru this thread last night, so I thought will share pictures of my accident on the Bangalore-Chennai Highway on this forum.

Speed of my car before braking: 130kmph
Speed of my car @ impact: 20kmph
Cause: Brakes "locked" when i slammed the brake @ 130 kmph, resulting in loosing steering control.

I was the only one in the car during the accident (luckily!!) and by God's Grace managed to come out unscathed.

It surely has changed my perception about "high speed" driving on our highways.

PS: Pardon the picture quality, took them on my phone in fading light.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-baleno-after-pulling-out.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-baleno-rear-ending-bus-2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-baleno-rear-ending-bus-3.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-baleno-rear-ending-bus1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-tyre-skid-mark75-mtrs.jpg  

Old 25th October 2009, 15:47   #3794
BHPian

@ alto: Yep the bus took a u turn as soon the bus converged onto the highway from the nearby village (Natrampalli-to those who know the towns/villages on the Bangalore-Chennai Highway). The driver was not supposed to take a turn there.

@ condor: Yep I sure had all the luck, as I escaped without a scratch.

@ MAK5: Your guess is right

According to the local police there is atleast one accident every week caused by trucks and buses taking "illegal" turn @ the same spot.

Last week when i was driving to Chennai, I noticed that the "U" turn was closed (finally)
Old 26th October 2009, 11:53   #3795
Senior - BHPian

Got these in email forward.

First one, a bike and a biker under a truck rear wheels on 24th Oct at 3pm outside Sion Hospital.

Another picture of the biker under the wheels (before police came in) not posted due to gruesome picture (I guess mods delete them)

The second one is of a Honda City burning in Delhi, this guy is chasing company for the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-first.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-second.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-18092009418.jpg  

Last edited by tanwaramit : 26th October 2009 at 11:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks