Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2009, 15:41   #3871
Senior - BHPian

PDW, sorry to see this, quite a bad hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Lucky you reached the spot quickly - not the kind of situation where a lady should be by herself.
absolutely, lucky that your wife is unhurt and safe, as its not the situation for a lady to be in, as locals nearby always look for those kind of situations.
Old 19th November 2009, 16:12   #3872
BHPian

Hard luck, predatorwheelz.

What estimate of the time for repair has the workshop given you?
Old 19th November 2009, 16:43   #3873
Senior - BHPian

The story after the knock

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Man, sorry to see this, that's a nasty one! Lucky you reached the spot quickly - not the kind of situation where a lady should be by herself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
That is really sad man! Lucky Juin di escaped unhurt!
Looks like minimal damage to the engine bay.But still,60K setback is bad,real bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
PDW, sorry to see this, quite a bad hit.

absolutely, lucky that your wife is unhurt and safe, as its not the situation for a lady to be in, as locals nearby always look for those kind of situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
Hard luck, predatorwheelz.

What estimate of the time for repair has the workshop given you?
Thanks guys. My wife held on gamely till the time help arrived, fighting off the locals as well as the irate Innova crowd.

Ah, the Innova story. At the time of impact, there was a driver and 2 (early 20ish) girls in the Innova. All 3 got down and started shouting at my wife. One of the girls demanded that she hand over her DL and reg papers to them. Another claimed she had called the police (Why????). My wife refused to bow down and matched them shout by shout (hail the vocal powers of Bengali women). The locals were the icing on the cake, refusing to let both parties go (presumably as they couldnt figure out who to extract more money from). Within 5 mins the Innova's real owner also arrived and joined the party.

So by the time my FIL and I reached, it was my wife against an army. As stated, we shooed the crowd off first.

Then the Innova owner walks up to me and starts demanding money. "Its your wife's fault, she was the car behind" and similiar bullcrap.

Firstly, I didn't think it was her fault. Secondly, I dont think too kindly of people who get together as a family (driver in tow) and try to strongarm a single woman. All this was communicated to the owner in not too subtle words, as was the "polite" request to back off. He did, thankfully.

The wrecker arrived in 10 mins, and took us to the garage. That was the end of the drama.

@Ayan - You should have seen Juin di fighting it out before we reached. We could hear her from a mile away. Viva vocal power.

@straightdrive - The initial estimate is 20-25 days.

Last edited by bblost : 24th November 2009 at 14:03. Reason: Foul language used both directly and indirectly is not allowed on Team-BHP. Word replaced.
Old 19th November 2009, 18:01   #3874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Here are a couple of crashes from my trip today.

An Accent that went off the road at Mohannagar in Ghaziabad.
Attachment 230322
Attachment 230321
Attachment 230323
I guess this was at the intersection where the Meerut Road joins this Hapur Road?? The guy seems to have taken a right turn at a good speed and then lost control!!
Old 19th November 2009, 18:46   #3875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
The sad looking car in the pics is my own Indica.

2 days back, my wife was driving in Beckbagan area when an Innova in front pulled over to the left and came to a screeching halt. My wife tried her best to avoid the car, and in the process, hit the rear bumper of the Innova first and then a tree. Thankfully, she escaped unhurt.

In Kolkata generally, such accidents are followed by unruly crowd behaviour. She was quick to call me and her father (who lives close by). We reached the scene, shooed off the local "dadas" (who were claiming money for moving the car to the sidewalk!!) and called a wrecker.

The car is with the workshop now. Estimate for repairs is 60K.
Sad to know this, as this has happened to your wife I hope she is all right by now. If you need any help for insurance please feel free to p.m. me.
Old 19th November 2009, 19:10   #3876
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Warrior View Post
I guess this was at the intersection where the Meerut Road joins this Hapur Road?? The guy seems to have taken a right turn at a good speed and then lost control!!
No - this was on the Delhi-bound (south bound) up-ramp of the rail overbridge at Mohannnagar - on the Link Road. The guy apparently went out of control while ovetaking from the left.
Quote:
The sad looking car in the pics is my own Indica.
Estimate for repairs is 60K.
Get another estimate from an independent garage. Lots of good ones in CCU. Indicas aren't that expensive to fix!
Old 20th November 2009, 21:53   #3877
BHPian

11 Killed on the spot when the Tata Sumo collided head on with a Bus.

As per the news it is said that the Sumo driver tried to avoid colliding with a truck in front of the vehicle, the driver of which had applied brakes suddenly, after seeing a cow crossing the road. As the vehicle swerved to the right, it hit a private bus, going to Bangalore, coming from the opposite direction.

More Pictures and Info at: D A I J I W O R L D

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-11.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-22.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-33.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-44.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-55.jpg
Old 20th November 2009, 23:56   #3878
BHPian

Horrific is the only word I can think off. May their souls RIP :(
Old 21st November 2009, 00:10   #3879
Senior - BHPian

clearly a lack of ABS and poor high speed stability of this Tata was the cause of the demise of those 11 people.
Old 21st November 2009, 01:08   #3880
Distinguished - BHPian

More than lack of ABS it must be road sense of either of the drivers cost 11 lives.
Old 21st November 2009, 01:09   #3881
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
clearly a lack of ABS and poor high speed stability of this Tata was the cause of the demise of those 11 people.
Absolutely not!

With the information that we have, driving too close to the truck was the sole and absolute cause of this accident.
Old 21st November 2009, 01:15   #3882
BHPian

Quote:
So thats like saying - the lack of ABS and poor stability of this Ferrari was cause of this Accident. Right?

Recently, I see more and more Indians starting to have a superstitious belief that ABS is god given gift that saves lives. They are demanding all kinds of safety features in their cars, but they still wont give up rash driving! DUH

I have to say let them learn their lesson the hard way.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ferraricrash.jpg  

Last edited by aerohit : 21st November 2009 at 01:17.
Old 21st November 2009, 02:07   #3883
BANNED

Quote:
In other words if we have an ABS equipped good handling car we will never have an accident and anyone owing such a car can never end up dead.

ABS , NICE handling cars do not save you for sure.It is the judgment , knowing the limit's of yourself and the car will keep you safe to a much further extent.

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 21st November 2009 at 02:08.
Old 21st November 2009, 07:46   #3884
BHPian

Quote:

"Its your wife's fault, she was the car behind" and similiar bullcrap.

Firstly, I didn't think it was her fault.
Whose fault is it according to Indian law? Does anyone know?

In the USA, it would be your wife's fault for failure to keep adequate braking distance from the vehicle ahead. However, there are some criminals who take advantage of this law and purposely and suddenly brake just to cause an accident. And it takes time for investigators to realize that the same people are involved in a series of similar incidents and that the accidents are being staged to entrap unsuspecting drivers.
Old 21st November 2009, 08:54   #3885
BHPian

I think we should also look at other aspect of safety :
• If the maiden divider on the road would have been there.
• Highways should be provided safety from cows or other animals.
• Slow speed Vehicles on highways etc.
• We should also avoid high beam night driving on the road specially which has two way traffic without maiden.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks