Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2009, 09:59   #3901
BHPian

Speeding KSRTC Bus toppled

Hi this was from the local news paper, where the over speeding KSRTC bus was toppled, where driver was unable to control the vehicle.

This happened near Chickmanglur, there were 19 causualities including driver, and 2 people died on the spot.

may their souls rip.

i have copied the local snap of paper, and picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bus-toppled.jpg  

Old 23rd November 2009, 10:05   #3902
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
Hi this was from the local news paper, where the over speeding KSRTC bus was toppled, where driver was unable to control the vehicle.

This happened near Chickmanglur, there were 19 causualities including driver, and 2 people died on the spot.

may their souls rip.

i have copied the local snap of paper, and picture.
Hi Speedy,

This has already been covered! Check the previous page! And I think you meant 19 Injured and 2 Casualties! Anyway, thank you for the different photograp, it cleared a couple of doubts that I had.
Old 23rd November 2009, 14:20   #3903
BHPian

Two container trucks...looked very bad

Friday 21st Nov, 10:00 AM: Khandala/ Lonavala ghats, just before descending into Khopoli.

The Cabin of the truck with the grey container was facing almost 180 degrees, backwards and seems to have smashed into the cabin of the truck following it.

Exhaust_Note
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2009_11_21-015.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2009_11_21-016.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2009_11_21-017.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2009_11_21-018.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2009_11_21-019.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2009_11_21-021.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2009_11_21-023.jpg  

Old 23rd November 2009, 16:38   #3904
Senior - BHPian

I don't think so that both the drivers have been survived in the mash. Why people drive this way who's business is to drive.
Old 23rd November 2009, 18:12   #3905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
In UK, it is said that it is always your fault if you run into the person in front of you, however unexpected their action may be. You are expected to keep enough distance to stop if they do. I heartily concur with that. Interestingly, in surveys of most-annoying driving habit in others, tailgating tops the list!
Very True. Here in the Gulf too the same rules apply. The positive fall out is that there is no argument that ensues. The driver of the car that has run into the one ahead just pays up.
Old 24th November 2009, 03:04   #3906
BHPian

Rule 1 : You should be able to see the rear wheel of the vehicle in front touching the road.

Rule 2 : 3 Second rule - You should pass a stationary object 3 seconds after the vehicle in front has passed it.

I learnt these rules for safe driving in Australia. Of course it works only for traffic which is organized. Anyway, if one rear-ends another vehicle, no matter what, it is the trailing vehicles fault. The trailing vehicle obviously failed to maintain safe braking distance from the vehicle in front.

Try maintaining such distances in our cities, before you know it, a couple of 2 wheelers and an auto would have squeezed in front

Rajan
Old 24th November 2009, 11:20   #3907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
Friday 21st Nov, 10:00 AM: Khandala/ Lonavala ghats, just before descending into Khopoli.
Exhaust_Note
If I am not wrong, this is the stretch from where the diversion from expressway to the NH4 highway starts. This is a accident prone zone. Actually what i have seen is - people who come from NH4 from khandala merge onto expressway (common patch for expressway & NH4) and they have to take a diversion from Khopoli exit. But some do not notice the exit as the road leading towards the exit is on curve. And by the time they notice they tend to oversteer the vehicle and thud!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can find many heavily loaded trucks collided there.
Old 24th November 2009, 13:23   #3908
BHPian

Did you all notice one common thing in all the accident pics in last 50 pages of this thread:

Almost 90% of the accidents reported, especially of State Transport Buses are from Karnataka or Andhra.

Can anyone justify the reason?

Last edited by akash_m : 24th November 2009 at 13:25.
Old 24th November 2009, 13:38   #3909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridsahmed View Post
If I am not wrong, this is the stretch from where the diversion from expressway to the NH4 highway starts. ...
It is immediately after the diversion off the express way. But, man, what speeds were they doing in such a narrow road to have such impact?

Just this Monday on my way to Pune from Kharghar this idiot on a black Pulsar hit another bike riding close, at about 65 KPH and skidded into my rare wheel (Glady) I was literally thrown off my bike and crashed head first. two things saved me - 1. LUCK, 2. My Goal Keepers training to fall from dives/ jumps (a.k.a Luck again).

I was lucky to survive with no bruises or breaks. That guys gets up and says "sorry" . Decided not to waste time beating my head against the thick skull. Thanks my stars, started my bike and went off.

Amazingly, no damage to the bike or self. Just the helmet needs to be changed a few parts in the bike (Brake lever, foot Rest etc).

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th November 2009 at 17:31. Reason: a.ka.a -> a. k. a
Old 24th November 2009, 14:54   #3910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
Did you all notice one common thing in all the accident pics in last 50 pages of this thread:

Almost 90% of the accidents reported, especially of State Transport Buses are from Karnataka or Andhra.

Can anyone justify the reason?

To make that sound a little less scarier, it just means that Karnataka & Andhra TBhpians are more active on this thread !
Old 24th November 2009, 22:21   #3911
BHPian

Friend expired in an Accident

My friend who studied UG with me got killed by a truck last friday night.
He and his wife both were run over by truck at adyar chennai @ 12 am.
It was his wife's birthday and they were returning from church after prayers.

i cant believe that last friday he was alive and not today. more worst they are survived by 2 months old daughter.

There are long running discussions of stability, pick up, handling, dynamics, body roll ABS etc, but i feel a Maruti 800 without any ABS and airbag is still far more safer than 2 wheelers in city. i dont want to lose any more friends.

Techie, wife killed in road accident | Deccan Chronicle

krish
Old 24th November 2009, 23:08   #3912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
My friend who studied UG with me got killed by a truck last friday night.
He and his wife both were run over by truck at adyar chennai @ 12 am.
It was his wife's birthday and they were returning from church after prayers.

i cant believe that last friday he was alive and not today. more worst they are survived by 2 months old daughter.

There are long running discussions of stability, pick up, handling, dynamics, body roll ABS etc, but i feel a Maruti 800 without any ABS and airbag is still far more safer than 2 wheelers in city. i dont want to lose any more friends.

Techie, wife killed in road accident | Deccan Chronicle

krish
I am very frustrated by incidents like these and they are just rising. Atleast 3 times a week I read of bike being hit by CV ( bus or truck ) and two wheeler rider loses life. Its very, very sad to read that the couple is survived by a two month old daughter.

And about car being safer than two wheeler, if the truck hits the car at low speeds its fine, else no car can take the hit from truck and still protect occupants. Reason is simple, they are set too high and no bars to prevent cars from coming under the truck/bus are provided. The bars need to be lower than the current regulations, and they have to be at either ends of truck. For slow speeds, car is for sure safer than a two wheeler, but not above that.

The CV's have becoming devils on Indian roads and off late, the incidents involving them have shot up. Its next to impossible to recall an accident when a car vs car crash took place. CV are involved in majority of the cases that include either fatality or serious injury.

Reformations in CV industry in India is completely stagnant.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 24th November 2009 at 23:11.
Old 24th November 2009, 23:58   #3913
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
OT: So in case of a pile-on, a lot of people pay to the one in front of them.....
Actually...

My driving instructor told me of a line of stationary cars that were shunted into one another by someone running into the rearmost. Those that did not have the handbrake applied were considered partly liable to the damage of the vehicles in front.

So, maybe yes!
Old 25th November 2009, 08:33   #3914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
To make that sound a little less scarier, it just means that Karnataka & Andhra TBhpians are more active on this thread !
Or it means the drivers here do not get perks like MH ST drivers get. Accolades for 5 years of accident free driving and pay from pocket even if a mirror is broken and suspension for everything else. Atleast that was what it used to be. Dunno now.
Old 25th November 2009, 08:47   #3915
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Or it means the drivers here do not get perks like MH ST drivers get. Accolades for 5 years of accident free driving and pay from pocket even if a mirror is broken and suspension for everything else. Atleast that was what it used to be. Dunno now.
I ve heard that BMTC Volvo drivers need to pay from their pocket if they break something in the bus like a mirror, a panel or a windshield, but am not sure if this is enforced in reality.

Most Viewed