Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2009, 11:13   #3946
Senior - BHPian

The car probably went under the lorry because, the lorry's park light was switched off /not working and by the time the driver of the car realised that there was a lorry standing still (not moving) in the middle of the road, it was too late for him to react.
Old 28th November 2009, 11:44   #3947
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Its amazing how quickly we come to conclusions! We don't know what the car guy was doing.

How much of the road will you be able to see at night with MORONS on High Beams in HID pointing straight at you? You don't need serious speeds to have a crash like that. It can happen if you get blinded by the MORONS driving in high beam and you drive straight into that truck without even the slightest braking. Think about that.

-- Torqy
Look at the condition of that car! Do you think the driver would've possibly been doing 30? 40? Or even 50? I'm sure he was way past 80! Yes the possibility of him being blinded by on-coming traffic is acceptable, but even with on-coming traffic's high beam on, you will be able to see something on your side! There is no way you can miss a truck unless you're blind folded!

There have been times when I've been doing speeds in excess of 60 on large roads in the night. I have been blinded partially by on-coming traffic but I keep myself aware of things around me and in front of me at all times and at all costs! Even with on-coming vehicle's high beams on, you will be able to notice things faintly in front of you.

When you drive in a country like India, you ought to be aware of everything around you. It's not like in the motor ways in the US or Europe where you can switch on the cruise-control and have some lunch while you steer the car with your knees!

Driving in India demands that little extra attention. You should be able to anticipate people coming in front of you from no where, taking sudden turns and applying their brakes suddenly. Even if you are confident that no one is driving on the other side, you slow down, you honk you flash your lights. You make sure that the coast is clear and then only make your move. If you speed up and take turns and overtake expecting nothing to be there, you're asking for trouble!

The bottom line is, he was speeding and because of that, he didn't have enough time to react and avoid the collision.
Old 28th November 2009, 14:13   #3948
BHPian

I lost my good friend in this accident. Only his wife survived, please dont judge what you dont know. I would say pray for the souls and leave it aside. I am shattered to discuss anything more.
Old 28th November 2009, 14:46   #3949
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
I lost my good friend in this accident. Only his wife survived, please dont judge what you dont know. I would say pray for the souls and leave it aside. I am shattered to discuss anything more.
I'm very sorry. My heart felt condolences to you and the family. These trucks should not be allowed to park on the side of the road. In Europe, it's illegal to park or break down (!) on a motorway. The authorities should come down heavily on the truck driver for his idiocy.
Old 28th November 2009, 14:51   #3950
BHPian

So you are an analyzer Huh.
Do not come to conclusion so fast, we are not here to criticize others.
Old 28th November 2009, 15:35   #3951
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
So you are an analyzer Huh.
Do not come to conclusion so fast, we are not here to criticize others.
It's just an opinion my friend! Everyone has their opinions and passes their judgments and comes to their own conclusions. Judging by the picture, I formulated my opinion. That's all. I'm sorry if I had offended anyone in the process.
Old 28th November 2009, 16:02   #3952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
...I'm sure he was way past 80! ... There is no way you can miss a truck unless you're blind folded!

The bottom line is, he was speeding and because of that, he didn't have enough time to react and avoid the collision.
I'm not that brilliant to figure out the exact speed he might've been doing. I also completely agree to the need of extra attention while driving in India. All i said was when you're blinded (if that was the case) things can go really wrong. That's why i always call those HIGH BEAM IDIOTS, MORONS IN CAPITAL LETTERS.

-- Torqy
Old 28th November 2009, 16:15   #3953
BHPian

Getting blinded means you should slow down, cause it is not known what lies ahead, this is a natural reaction, not rocket science.

All said and done IMHO both the parties were at fault.

May the departed souls R.I.P
Old 28th November 2009, 17:07   #3954
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

The Verna accident image must have been taken some time after the accident. The effort of getting the injured out adds to the vehicle's damage due to the accident and so any inferences about the accident needs this to be factored in.

It is extremely unfortunate that carelessness / ignorance / callousness of people lead to loss of precious life and limbs and others.
Old 28th November 2009, 17:38   #3955
BHPian

May his soul RIP, sorry about your loss.
I've seen it only in india, where you can find a majority (not all) who don't care about others, and not even themselves while they drive. Quoting few examples with in this thread, think about those people who lost their lives in the Volvo accident near salem, who needs to be blamed the truck driver is he the only one responsible, what about the Volvo driver who drives at 100 KMPH, where the speed limit is 60 KMPH for buses.
The scooty accident in bangalore, is it the bus driver or the person driving on the wrong side of the road is responsible. I am not trying or judging anyone.

If we take a moment to think, before you start blaming others, including the MORNOS, government and police, are you always following the traffic rules every time,I've seem many people blaming others for their mistake on the rod and conveniently forget about their mistake.
At lest some of us in this forum might have lost their loved ones on the roads, but how many of us think about it before start driving, at lest decide that you will be careful while on the road, and care about the fellow humans on the road.
Old 28th November 2009, 20:00   #3956
BHPian

Truck was parked in the middle of the road unlike mentioned in the newpapers. Yes he was driving fast but there are a hundred What Ifs, so I wont go there again. The guy behind him was married for just three weeks and they were going to celebrate his wedding. I cant describe how tragic this week has been for me.
Old 28th November 2009, 20:10   #3957
BHPian

Accident: Its an unfortunate event waiting to happen, from the mistake of ones side, the other side's or the either sides.

As indian drivers we learn something more than the people who drive abroad. When i go to office daily and take a left turn to main rd from a busy street, i always know there are some two wheelers who are @ a blind spot of my cars left 3 quarters, so i do not take the turn sharply but slowly allowing them to overtake me during a turn which is illegal and dangerious. But what if i drive fast ignoring the two wheelers with my ego in steering wheel, i got to crash into them not to mention whos ever mistake it is.

Drive safe, be it india / abroad, a object travelling speed at 50 is defenetly easier to stop than something traveling @ 80.

Krish
Old 28th November 2009, 22:11   #3958
BHPian

What do you do when you are rammed from behind by a lorry whilst standing at a traffic signal? No one sitting in the back seat, hence no causalities.

Damage: 1.2L

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-171120091550.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-171120091549.jpg
Old 28th November 2009, 22:26   #3959
Senior - BHPian

Nitro, is that your car? If so, I'm sorry to see it damaged so badly. Good thing that there are no casualties.
Old 28th November 2009, 22:33   #3960
BHPian

ohh. dat must have hurt.
hope insurance covers up most of it and honda guys repair it at the earliest.

Most Viewed