Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 11:25   #4096
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
C'mon! Its too early to say the driver was at fault - especially given the fact that the news report appeared on ToI, which never has a reputation to report facts. The news report could be purely based on the reporter's guess work - specially when the driver is reported to have fled the scene.

It is not essential that the driver fled the scene since he was at fault - often, our public tends to beat up the bus driver even when the accident is not of his fault.

Look at the kind of sheer on the Activa - the scooter cannot bend to this extent had the bus been trying to start from a signal early! From the entire episode, I somehow feel the activa guy tried to squeeze in between, which the driver did not see. Given the height of the driver seat, its just obvious that they cannot see what happens below their line of sight.

True - its unfair to blame these bus drivers all the time. Its no fun maneuvering these 10.8 metre beasts through Bangalore's roads - plus the reckless two-wheelers and autorickshaws, who seem to believe they own exclusive rights on the road.
You've got a good point my friend!

But there are two sides of the story!

Story One: The Activa fellow, like all other 2 wheelers in the city, would've tried to squeeze himself through traffic and this probably confused the bus driver. Sudden turns and braking maneuvers by the two wheeled sort results in majority of the accidents! This is a story that in all probability, is true!

Story Two: The lights turned red and the Activa fellow came to an abrupt halt. The bus driver's intention (And many others' as well) was to try and pass the red lights before the traffic on the other side starts to move. Unfortunately, the Activa fellow found himself in front of the bus that tried to jump the light!

The reason why the first story might be true: Judging by the damage of the scooter, one can come to the conclusion that the rider was squeezed while trying something. May his soul RIP. It is unfortunate that people lose their lives on the roads.

A certain level of self governance and road sense must be inculcated.

I see children with their parents on two wheelers and the parents don't wear their helmets. The child would obviously learn from their parents. They're supposed to set an example, instead, they break the law in front of their own children!

When are people going to understand that rules are meant to be followed for their own benefit? It's rather sad.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th December 2009 at 11:27.
Old 8th December 2009, 11:39   #4097
BHPian

in todays TOI:
An ANHC overturned in front of Oberoi Hotel. Driver saved because of air bags.

Article Window
Old 8th December 2009, 12:47   #4098
Senior - BHPian

The Wagon R incident happened near Vasant Kunj a few days back. The Wagon R was LPG and a leak caused the incident.

No child was there.

The lady could not get out as the seat belt was stuck and so was central locking. The husband was pulled out in the nick of time. He was quite serious.

What a horriffic way to die. RIP.
Old 8th December 2009, 14:01   #4099
BHPian

KSRTC Superfast previous model.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2073191205_ed834ce35d.jpg  

Old 8th December 2009, 14:34   #4100
Senior - BHPian

Man what was the bus driver thinking before taking a turn/cross. I think he thought the road is in a strainght line(which usually cops say to walk when they catch some drunken driver).

Last edited by shishir_bn : 8th December 2009 at 14:35.
Old 8th December 2009, 15:41   #4101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
The lady could not get out as the seat belt was stuck and so was central locking. .
but it needs a thought I guess.

The seat belt could hinder the exit but I still cant stomach how can central locking can lock one inside or at lest hinder or delay the exit? Of all the central locking mechanisms I've seen, all of them allow any passenger to open his/her door anytime. (Child lock on rear doors an exception). even if the central locking system fails due to fire, one could still easily unlock the door from inside - its just a motor connected probably via a worm gear to the lock system which does not lock up or freeze the mechanicals of the lock anyway.

Last edited by clevermax : 8th December 2009 at 15:45.
Old 8th December 2009, 19:41   #4102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
Hi,

Found this on the Net. This is not in india i suppose, but if cars like Camry becomes like this.. i am thinking about indian small cars.
Attachment 240361
Most probably the job of a M1 Abraham
Old 8th December 2009, 19:48   #4103
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I was surprised that this accident was not reported here.

This happened on the Thottappally spillway bridge on NH 47 about 25 kms from Alleppey about 4 days ago.

Apparently the lorry driver was drunk, rammed into the Wagon R dragged it back and stopped after hitting a second car. A woman and girl child died.

From Malayala Manorama newspaper:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mmacc01_medium.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mmacc03_medium.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mmacc04_medium.jpg

From Mathrubhumi newspaper:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mmacc02_medium.jpg

You can get killed even if you are following all the rules.
Old 8th December 2009, 19:54   #4104
Senior - BHPian

what the hell went under that wagon R?
Old 8th December 2009, 21:02   #4105
Senior - BHPian

OMG!! Horrible pics Dr. trrk. The lorry's tire is literally inside the WagonR and is till the back seat!!! Tinbox indeed. BTW, which is the other car ??

Last edited by clevermax : 8th December 2009 at 21:05.
Old 8th December 2009, 21:05   #4106
Distinguished - BHPian

NH58 is an amazing highway for those seeking to see vehicles in various states of disfigurement and dismemberment. Even more amazing is how the road has a variety of seasonally aberrant traffic, from sugarcane to kanwarias at various times of the year, effectively rendering the road unusable for regular motor vehicles (the kind you and I drive). Given the time and inclination, one could perhaps post one accident a day just from that strip of road from Ghaziabad to Meerut.

So here's one more from my collection of crashes on that road. Big traffic jam in the morning because of it, and having larger wheels helped to jump the divider and carry on behind a bus onto the oncoming carriageway. These pics were on the way back in the afternoon.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-sugarcane-crash1.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-sugarcane-crash2.jpg

There was no traffic jam there, but because of the immense number of animal-drawn vehicles bringing in sugarcane to the sugar mills at Modinagar, crossing the 5 km through Modinagar in the afternoon is an exercise in patience. And trying to avoid getting scraped by a buffalo or a cart with sugarcane jutting out of it - that's entertainment for some I guess, but not me!
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-sugar1.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-sugar2.jpg
Old 8th December 2009, 21:12   #4107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
OMG!! Horrible pics Dr. trrk. The lorry's tire is literally inside the WagonR and is till the back seat!!! Tinbox indeed. BTW, which is the other car ??
The other car is the alto.
Old 8th December 2009, 22:42   #4108
BHPian

In last few pages, there are just more crashes of wagon R involved. Seems to be a mere coincidence. But airgbags could have saved the person in the Wagon R taxi crash. But our auto industry will charge 1 lakh premium for air bag that too in top version. No value for life those who own Lxi,vxi versions.
Old 9th December 2009, 08:41   #4109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Agree that presence of mind is needed and its indeed a state of shock. But I don't think the car will be engulfed fully in flames within few seconds. Many cars have fuel cut off and if fire can't spread that quick from engine bay. for fires from rear end, it will take some time to come to the front portion of the passenger cabin while it is still running.
Fuel cut-off is present in the Fiats (which you drive), not many other cars have it. Most Indians will laugh off such a feature when buying a car saying "it is useless".

Cheers,
Old 9th December 2009, 10:12   #4110
Senior - BHPian

A lorry on a car. What is happening in this world. and when you scroll down you see there is no front end of one lorry. What are these guy upto.
The sealink worli bridge was shown in Headlines today new channel and i was shocked to know that there is no divider and it is a two way bridge and the lanes are divided by those fidre divider. Holy Cow people driving at 120 and no divider. what were the designers thinking or eating when planning this

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks