Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2009, 10:55   #4111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
but it needs a thought I guess.
one could still easily unlock the door from inside - its just a motor connected probably via a worm gear to the lock system which does not lock up or freeze the mechanicals of the lock anyway.
Well not really, AFAIK from a Wagon-R's Internal Door release mechanism (this is likely to be the case with many cars), the release lever fitted on the door panel inside is connected to the thin metal rod that goes all the way till the latch on the door. This arrangement is on a pivot and is held by nothing but a plastic clip at the back of the release lever. So, if the fire spreads faster and the first thing to melt is this tiny clip, the connection between the release lever and the latch is cut-off. The only possible way to open the door then would be from the outside, this only when there is access unless the windows are rolled down as the fire will also melt the knob for the windows as well. In the event of such a fire, things start burning faster than anyone can expect.

If at all all these mechanisms were "metallic" there are possible chances to survive.

This is why we have seen many instances where occupants fail to open the door in case of fire and unusually, the first hint is at the central locking mechanism which may not be the culprit as suspected.
Old 9th December 2009, 12:47   #4112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
... the first hint is at the central locking mechanism which may not be the culprit as suspected.
Yes, it's the locking mechanism itself that can be the culprit, not the central locking feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Fuel cut-off is present in the Fiats (which you drive), not many other cars have it. Most Indians will laugh off such a feature when buying a car saying "it is useless".

Cheers,

Yes. absolutely.... Another dude in another thread was laughing off some nice little features present in the Linea when those were listed.

Sorry to be off-topic, and thanks for the explanation paragsachania.

Last edited by clevermax : 9th December 2009 at 12:49.
Old 9th December 2009, 13:08   #4113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

I was surprised that this accident was not reported here.

This happened on the Thottappally spillway bridge on NH 47 about 25 kms from Alleppey about 4 days ago.

Apparently the lorry driver was drunk, rammed into the Wagon R dragged it back and stopped after hitting a second car. A woman and girl child died.

You can get killed even if you are following all the rules.
The driver should be hanged for killing them due to reckless and drink and drive.But our justice will consider this has an accident and give less punishment
Old 9th December 2009, 17:30   #4114

Well I believe the best way to avoid accidents is.....not drive at all . Because even if you are disciplined, some rogue drunk trucker will derail you. I met with an accident in my Optra when a truck without indicators suddenly turned to an non-existent turn on a highway at 10 PM in the night and I crashed by bonnet underneath the truck inspite of braking heavily (including the hand brake!). See the pics....
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn1851.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn1853.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn1861.jpg  

Old 9th December 2009, 17:33   #4115
Senior - BHPian

Somebody in Ghaziabad had vandalized my Santro while I was at urmil motors yesterday noon.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc03676.jpg  

Last edited by sidindica : 9th December 2009 at 17:41.
Old 9th December 2009, 17:37   #4116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Somebody in Ghaziabad had vandalized my Santro while I was at urmil motors yesterday noon.
what!!!!!!!!This is done by those kids who will be playing near the car.But this snaps doesn't fit in this section right????
Old 9th December 2009, 17:42   #4117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
what!!!!!!!!This is done by those kids who will be playing near the car.But this snaps doesn't fit in this section right????
Didn't have any idea, so posted here, and tried to hide that "abusive word" which had been written. Not by kids, but very professionally done.
Old 9th December 2009, 17:45   #4118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Didn't have any idea, so posted here, and tried to hide that "abusive word" which had been written. Not by kids, but very professionally done.
Then 100% there might be someone whom you have/had scolded/told anything/hand signals/looked in a way that might have hurted him while driving and he might have seen you parking and without wasting the time he has done this and escaped.
Old 9th December 2009, 17:50   #4119
Senior - BHPian

Nothing like this happened. My drive was smooth without any hassles. Actually you never know that somewhere you may find phycho people doing this.
Old 9th December 2009, 17:58   #4120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivkamani View Post
Well I believe the best way to avoid accidents is.....not drive at all . Because even if you are disciplined, some rogue drunk trucker will derail you. I met with an accident in my Optra when a truck without indicators suddenly turned to an non-existent turn on a highway at 10 PM in the night and I crashed by bonnet underneath the truck inspite of braking heavily (including the hand brake!). See the pics....
You never know what will happen in next few minutes on highway. BTW i think no injuries. This happened on which highway?
Old 9th December 2009, 18:01   #4121
BHPian

Quote:
Actually you never know that somewhere you may find phycho people doing this.
Yes it happened to my Santro when I praked in front of house and came to find later that he was an mentally ill person but the damage was deep
Old 9th December 2009, 18:03   #4122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing like this happened. My drive was smooth without any hassles. Actually you never know that somewhere you may find phycho people doing this.
You are absolutely right. This is a psychic condition an intense urge to scratch (read: damage) on something that is shining and neat and more importantly looks expensive - some kind of sadistic satisfaction. You can never point out which guy would do it, he/she can otherwise be quite a normal person.
Old 9th December 2009, 18:27   #4123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Then 100% there might be someone whom you have/had scolded/told anything/hand signals/looked in a way that might have hurted him while driving and he might have seen you parking and without wasting the time he has done this and escaped.
Yes this could be very true. My friend was saying that he is planning to put a "I'm stupid" sticker on the back of his Boss's car.
Old 9th December 2009, 20:12   #4124
Senior - BHPian

This month old SX4 belongs to someone in our colony street, just earlier today it hit a cow and the result is in front of you to see.
The cow was (un)fortunately killed.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc01840.jpg  

Old 9th December 2009, 22:40   #4125
BHPian

Last week we went to a marriage at Sarojini Nagar Delhi. We were from Bride's side. The barat was quite rowdy type and lot of cheap quality fireworks. Some thing fell on my shoulder from the sky and I found that it was a terracotta type piece of some firework. When we came out of the function, I was horrified to find the wind screen of my Altis, broken. It appeared like some heavy object (the same terracotta type piece from some fire work) fell from height on the top edge of the wind screen and caused 5-6 cracks.

I was deeply depressed to see the damage to my 6 month old car, due to no fault of mine. Wind screen replacement costed me Rs 12,000/= and I did not claim any insurance as I would have lost No Claim Bonus.

I doubt that majority of our country men will ever learn to care for others feelings, property and things. Phir bhi Mera Bharat Mahan.

Most Viewed