Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Santro banged up at the rear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Your Santro? I hope not..
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Looks like it reversed into a lamp-post. Not yours, I presume!
No it does not belong to him. There is no mark of vandalization. Number plate is also different.
Old 10th December 2009, 22:13   #4142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivkamani View Post
Well I believe the best way to avoid accidents is.....not drive at all . Because even if you are disciplined, some rogue drunk trucker will derail you. I met with an accident in my Optra when a truck without indicators suddenly turned to an non-existent turn on a highway at 10 PM in the night and I crashed by bonnet underneath the truck inspite of braking heavily (including the hand brake!). See the pics....
hope you and your fellow traveller are in good shape.

thats a lesson to all, ALways keep safe distance.
Old 10th December 2009, 23:09   #4143
Distinguished - BHPian

Three crashes seen on today's Modinagar trip. Early morning, a Getz had gone out of control and jumped the divider near the Mayur Vihar Phase 3 crossing. Car was a total wreck, both front and rear suspensions ripped out. Smoke and steam still coming out of the engine when I passed the area. Appears it had hit pedestrians - two people lying on the seats, who did not look like owner/driver.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-abcd0019k120.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02301k120.jpg

On the way back in the afternoon, at Mohannagar, there were, not one, but TWO brand new Altos (one black and one a deep blue - both with the plastic on the seats and the ribbons still not removed), banged by two separate trucks (one a 18-wheel trailer rig), within 500m of each other. Both did exactly the same thing - tried to squeeze in and cut across the front left corner of the trucks - one got rammed from the back, one from the side. Just one thought occurred to me them - serves the Alto drivers right...

When will someone teach Indian drivers that trucks don't handle like cars, can't stop on a dime as it were, that truck drivers can't see their vehicles' corners like an Alto driver can, they may be tired and/or DUI, and it is absolutely imperative that a wide berth be given to them when manoeuvering around them?
Old 11th December 2009, 10:36   #4144
BHPian

I go through this thread every day. I must admit that I have become a more sensible and responsible driver. We need a big heart to drive on our roads. One has to be forgiving towards bikers and rickshaws zig-zagging/cutting lanes right infront of us and account for their mistakes in our driving style. It often slows me down and irritates the driver following me, but it is better than being sorry later. After all it's a rat race and even if I win, I am still a rat.

It makes sense to respect the bigger vehicles like trucks and trailers too. They rely heavily on momentum. Our one stupid act can not only distrupt their momentum, it can also lead to panic reflexes and accidents. The case of the two Altos mentioned here could be the data points.

Interestingly, a sedate driving style is less stressful and more enjoyable than a rush-rush style. I love driving.
Old 11th December 2009, 11:20   #4145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi.robin View Post
One has to be forgiving towards bikers and rickshaws zig-zagging/cutting lanes right infront of us and account for their mistakes in our driving style. It often slows me down and irritates the driver following me, but it is better than being sorry later.
I agree with you fi.robin but at times it just leaves you with grrr ... :(
Sometimes when I start a journey I promise myself I will go slow and not get angry at others for not driving properly. But things never happen the way I expect.
Old 11th December 2009, 11:24   #4146
Senior - BHPian

Got these in an email forward.

Accident at MahaMaya Flyover Near NoidaSec-16A-- pics taken at 8 AM , 10th Dec 09
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mahamaya-flyover-accident1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mahamaya-flyover-accident2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mahamaya-flyover-accident3.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mahamaya-flyover-accident4.jpg  

Old 11th December 2009, 11:27   #4147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Your Santro? I hope not..
Quote:
Looks like it reversed into a lamp-post. Not yours, I presume!
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
No it does not belong to him. There is no mark of vandalization. Number plate is also different.
Not mine, but someone else's. Told that it was hit by a UPSRTC bus.

BTW yesterday while I was coming back after giving by car to the Nimbus Hyundai ghaziabad workshop, on NH 24 before the mayur vihar 2 signal, a biker was overtaking a maruti 800 at a high speed from he left side.
The maruti, signalling its intention to turn left to tank up for fuel, was hit by the biker, as a result the bike skidded and the rider fell off, while the 800 applied the emergency brake.
Contrary to what I had expected, the biker stood up, dragged the driver out of the 800 and started beating him left, right and centre for no fault of his.
Thankfully, the PCR tavera was parked next to the petrol pump, and the police have arrested the biker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post

Accident at MahaMaya Flyover Near NoidaSec-16A-- pics taken at 8 AM , 10th Dec 09
What the hell is this? Was the driver drunk and hit the truck at a very high speed? It looks like a 100 plus kmph crash. I presume that the truck was toppled way before this accident happened. No way that anyone would have survived this crash.

Last edited by Dippy : 13th December 2009 at 12:22. Reason: Sis use the edit button & Multiquote instead of making back to back posts.
Old 11th December 2009, 11:29   #4148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...TWO brand new Altos...
...it is absolutely imperative that a wide berth be given to them when manoeuvering around them?
Amit, you just reconfirmed the point I was trying to make, with your Alto pics!
Quote:
Old 11th December 2009, 11:37   #4149
Senior - BHPian

Gosh thats ghastly. I hope there were no occupants and fatalities. Any report on that carboard alto under that rig ?
Old 11th December 2009, 11:38   #4150
Senior - BHPian

That Alto is good to be disposed off as scrap. God knows how in the world the car managed to get under the sand-laden truck.
Old 11th December 2009, 11:59   #4151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What the hell is this? Was the driver drunk and hit the truck at a very high speed? It looks like a 100 plus kmph crash. I presume that the truck was toppled way before this accident happened. No way that anyone would have survived this crash.
To me it looks like the car crashed into the truck while it was toppling, as part of the car is inside the sand. Normally, these small cars bounce back (Remember the swift that lifted 8 feet high on the same thread) after such high speed crash. Here it didn't have a chance to bounce, as it was trapped under the toppling truck.

My guess is this. Truck went out of control and toppled. Santro seeing the truck wading here and there, tried to overtake it from left and hit it and got stuck there under.
Old 11th December 2009, 12:02   #4152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi.robin View Post
It makes sense to respect the bigger vehicles like trucks and trailers too. They rely heavily on momentum. Our one stupid act can not only distrupt their momentum, it can also lead to panic reflexes and accidents.

Interestingly, a sedate driving style is less stressful and more enjoyable than a rush-rush style. I love driving.
I agree with you. Some times you get irritated and start honking. I have over a period learn't to give respect to the heavy vehicles.
On my trip from Mumbai to Vapi (Gujrat) I had observed that if you be patient and give respect to the heavy vehicles, they in turn give you respect making your drive more easy and less stressful.
Old 11th December 2009, 12:24   #4153
BHPian

Car Burning like an inferno

Regret the delay was a lot busy

This happened day before yesterday (Wednesday Evening) , as soon as we finish Gurgaon Delhi Toll road cmong from Gurgaon towards Dhaulakuan in Delhi. There was this burning Maruti 800, dont know the details as nobody standing there was aware.
As it was evening & lot of traffic please bear with pic quality (mobile cam)
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00004200912092015.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00003200912092015.jpg  

Last edited by SamtheLeo : 11th December 2009 at 12:26.
Old 11th December 2009, 12:27   #4154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Its tough to predict how this Alto got under the falling truck!!
The right side of the car looks scratched, not sure if both the vehicles were trying to exit the highway on their left, struggled on exit during which Alto may got scratched on its right and finally truck falling on alto while both the vehicles trying to balance / understand whats happening! not sure how bad that guess is but Tanwar or someone from Noida can get some more details
Old 11th December 2009, 12:36   #4155
BHPian

Quote:

Seems the truck toppled over a standby alto. Hope no casualties.
Quote:
BTW yesterday while I was coming back after giving by car to the Nimbus Hyundai ghaziabad workshop, on NH 24 before the mayur vihar 2 signal, a biker was overtaking a maruti 800 at a high speed from he left side.
The maruti, signalling its intention to turn left to tank up for fuel, was hit by the biker, as a result the bike skidded and the rider fell off, while the 800 applied the emergency brake.
Contrary to what I had expected, the biker stood up, dragged the driver out of the 800 and started beating him left, right and centre for no fault of his.
Thankfully, the PCR tavera was parked next to the petrol pump, and the police have arrested the biker.
Very strange event. Cop arrested biker!! It is good luck of 800 driver. Actually all these happens because this law (written or unwritten, I do not know) that the big vehicle driver will be considered on fault. These type of biker can only learn from doctors and hospitals are the correct driving (riding) schools for them.

Most Viewed