Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2009, 13:08   #4216
Senior - BHPian

For some reason I always feel really uncomfortable driving near the massive petroleum trucks. I always try to stay back or sprint away

But yes even the water lorries are scary.
Old 18th December 2009, 21:38   #4217
Senior - BHPian

Saw today morning when I was on my way to Office, on Aakkulam bridge, in the NH47 bypass, Trivandrum. There was a pileup in the bridge involving this unlucky bike fellow, a new Dzire, and a Tavera and may be some more vehicles. The four wheelers are immediately taken to the roadside after the bridge to avoid traffic jam, though there was a big jam.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bridgeaccident1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bridgeaccident2.jpg

No idea about causalities, but it looked like a major one.

Last edited by clevermax : 18th December 2009 at 21:39.
Old 19th December 2009, 06:48   #4218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post

The one day year old young baby girl was also taken to the lobby of teh hospital , but she didn't open her eyes to see her dad for the last time.

Now I don't know what to type here.......
That is really tragic.

Me and my wife had a narrow escape from such an incident a couple of days back. We were traveling in the Coimbatore to Ooty road towards Black Thunder resort in my Swift at 9 PM. I generally do not use high beam to avoid blinding the oncoming traffic. This road is a disastrous one, as it is just 2 lanes wide but with a lot of traffic. Due to some lucky coincidence, I switched on my high beam momentarily and found a truck parked without any signs/stop lights just a few meters ahead and I was traveling at around 80 kmph. I think I spotted the truck at the right time and there was no oncoming traffic in the other lane - So, I could swerve to my right safely to get out of the probable mess.

That truck was parked in such a manner that it occupied 50% of the road completely and big stones were placed around it (all 4 tires of the truck was on the road and the truck guy did not even try to move the vehicle down the road on one side). As a result of this, the road became a single road suddenly.

Now I have learnt that I have to use high beam always when I drive on the highways - especially those with just 2 lanes.
Old 19th December 2009, 08:48   #4219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Saw today morning when I was on my way to Office, on Aakkulam bridge, in the NH47 bypass, Trivandrum. There was a pileup in the bridge involving this unlucky bike fellow, a new Dzire, and a Tavera and may be some more vehicles. The four wheelers are immediately taken to the roadside after the bridge to avoid traffic jam, though there was a big jam.

No idea about causalities, but it looked like a major one.
Got more details form today's news paper, the bike was hit by a speeding truck from behind, and his bike was crushed between the lorry and the car in front. He had major injuries and the locals and firemen had to spend half an hour to get him out of the mess, but his condition isn't that critical. He was very lucky. He was wearing a Helmet. (You can see it in the picture)
Old 19th December 2009, 11:53   #4220
Senior - BHPian

anekho,

I agree. Once I was driving at night on NH1 and a 20kL diesel truck had overturned near Karnal. Before I knew it, i heard a thuppp and my vehicle almost aquaplaned. Took a good amount of cleaning to wash it off, but immediately afterward I tested my brakes for a good 5km before I felt comfortable cruising at 100 again!

@Clever: Did he have RVMs? I dont see any
Old 19th December 2009, 13:03   #4221
Senior - BHPian

Few expensive wrecked machines; sight from Mercedes' Cochin dealerhip. The S-Class in the photo is owned by a known person & they had a hit to the center of a truck which was reversing at a speed of 140kph +. Happily none of them where even sctartched. There is a serious damamge to engine & front. They are diposing the car & going for a new face-lifted S-class in the Jan.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_4528.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_4529.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_4534.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_4540.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_4539.jpg  

Old 19th December 2009, 13:08   #4222
Team-BHP Support

Frankly the S class looks beyond economic repair
Old 19th December 2009, 13:20   #4223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmust View Post
Few expensive wrecked machines; sight from Mercedes' Cochin dealerhip. The S-Class in the photo is owned by a known person & they had a hit to the center of a truck which was reversing at a speed of 140kph +. Happily none of them where even sctartched. There is a serious damamge to engine & front. They are diposing the car & going for a new face-lifted S-class in the Jan.
Reversing at 140km+?

Surely a typo there Hanmust.

Sad to see an S smashed and written off.
Old 19th December 2009, 13:29   #4224
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Reversing at 140km+?

Surely a typo there Hanmust.

Sad to see an S smashed and written off.
Read it as a merc that hit a truck at 140km/h
Old 19th December 2009, 13:46   #4225
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Read it as a merc that hit a truck at 140km/h
Sorry Ajmat and Hanmust! Should have read it as Merc that hit a truck at 140 km/h.

Estimate cost of damages even though it's a write off? Could go into 10 lakhs-20 lakhs at least right?
Old 19th December 2009, 14:19   #4226
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sir,

Forget about the parked truck. Did you notice how many trucks are moving ahead of you are having tail lamps. I did had to apply the break at once for the escape from the collide of the truck with out tail lamp going ahead of me.. Thank god for the ABS break system. Three are alive now.
Old 19th December 2009, 14:35   #4227
Senior - BHPian

I don't think that merc S class would have hit the truck at 140 Kmph. In that case, the occupants cannot escape scratchless whatsoever. It must have braked and hit the truck at a lower speed for sure. By looking at the damage, it doesn't seem like a 140 Kmph crash as well.

Last edited by clevermax : 19th December 2009 at 14:42.
Old 19th December 2009, 16:50   #4228
Senior - BHPian

I was on my way to Pondy about 10 days ago and was passing thru a small town where an accident had taken place. Cops were standing and managing the traffic.

At the side of the road, there was a body covered in white cloth. Blood was flowing out, turning the white cloth red and flowing onto the road.

A terrible sight to see. May god rest his/her soul in peace.
Old 19th December 2009, 18:32   #4229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I don't think that merc S class would have hit the truck at 140 Kmph. In that case, the occupants cannot escape scratchless whatsoever. It must have braked and hit the truck at a lower speed for sure. By looking at the damage, it doesn't seem like a 140 Kmph crash as well.
You're right. 140 is probably the speed they were doing before the crash. Obviously they'd have hit the brakes and scrubbed a significant bit of that speed off. A 140 kph impact would have devastated the car and even an S-Class would struggle to keep its occupants safe at that speed
Old 19th December 2009, 18:34   #4230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Hi Sir,

Forget about the parked truck. Did you notice how many trucks are moving ahead of you are having tail lamps. I did had to apply the break at once for the escape from the collide of the truck with out tail lamp going ahead of me.. Thank god for the ABS break system. Three are alive now.
If anyone in INDIA is driving behind a truck expecting its tail lamps to function then it is wishful thinking to a large extent.

God save our country !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks