Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2009, 23:42   #4246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopoe View Post
Here's a ghastly scene I caught some years ago on Delhi-Chadigarh stretch. This poor soul tried to cover some fast distance in a foggy night--apparently trying to make best of the upcoming long weekend--and hit a stationary truck. The speedo of his Pulsar was frozen at 70kmph and his co-rider was apparently critical but alive in the nearby hospital.
It is not a Pulsar. It is a Hero Honda Passion. Look at the tail piece and the seat cover. Sad incident. May his soul RIP.
Old 20th December 2009, 00:03   #4247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopoe View Post
Here's a ghastly scene I caught some years ago on Delhi-Chadigarh stretch. This poor soul tried to cover some fast distance in a foggy night--apparently trying to make best of the upcoming long weekend--and hit a stationary truck. The speedo of his Pulsar was frozen at 70kmph and his co-rider was apparently critical but alive in the nearby hospital.
Thats a ghastly scene out there and sends shivers down the spine.

By the way, the bike in the picture is not a Pulsar but a Hero Honda Passion.
Old 20th December 2009, 13:44   #4248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Thanks. It's also because someone unknown has always been there to help me whenever i've met with accidents. BTW i've met with 6 major life threatening accidents with my fault in only one of them and the worst being when my car turned turtle thrice. I had posted my pics of that accident in this thread about 6 months back.
6 life threatening accidents .

And car turning turtle thrice.Which car?
Can you point me to the thread via any links?
Old 20th December 2009, 14:30   #4249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
6 life threatening accidents .

And car turning turtle thrice.Which car?
Can you point me to the thread via any links?
Yes you're right 6 of them. My Alto turned turtle in april'09 but i luckily escaped scratchless ( except a bruise on my shoulder which i got when people pulled me out after breaking the windshield and my shoulder got bruised by the wiper ).

Let me look for the thread , if i don't find it i'll look for the pictures and post them here.
Old 20th December 2009, 18:15   #4250
BHPian

From the Local Newspaper: A bus carrying around 30 Children was hit by a lorry head on. 11 Children have been injured. Two children are in critical condition. The Lorry manged to escape. But was caught later. The School Children were going for a one day picinic.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pg30010.jpg  

Old 20th December 2009, 19:50   #4251
BHPian

Today while i was traveling from Chennai to Hosur we stopped at Hotel Deepam (it is few meters before Pallikonda Tollgate) for Lunch. While having lunch we saw a T.N.S.T.C Ultra Deluxe bus traveling from Bangalore to Chennai took a Right turn to get into the Hotel and then i saw the Bus driver & conductor running inside the hotel and went directly into the Kitchen. At the entrance there were lots of confusion, a ford Ikon Golden color Car traveling in Bangalore direction hit the Bus (perpendicular) and in the impact the front bonnet & engine was completely smashed. Luckily this happened near toll gate so 3 Ambulance came immediately and shifted the injured. A person should be aged around 60 died on the spot (may his soul RIP)! The condition of the person who drove the car is not know but was told that is legs are broken. A lady & a Kid with sitting at the back seat had lots of injuries and were bleeding, they were taken to a nearest Hospital!!! I'm still shaken.

Last edited by mail4loys : 20th December 2009 at 19:51.
Old 20th December 2009, 23:53   #4252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Yes you're right 6 of them. My Alto turned turtle in april'09 but i luckily escaped scratchless ( except a bruise on my shoulder which i got when people pulled me out after breaking the windshield and my shoulder got bruised by the wiper ).

Let me look for the thread , if i don't find it i'll look for the pictures and post them here.
Here are couple of pics from one of my accidents wherein i was rear ended by a esteem ( taxi ) . He was doing around 90 and me around 70 when it happened.

My altos rear went above his hood and then came back and by the time my car came back on the road the brakes had failed and only by gods grace there were no cars coming behind me and i managed to pull the hand brake and pull the car to halt almost 70-80 mts after he hit me.

i will look for more pics and vids that i have to provide more clarity.

Total damage - Rs 44000 and thru insurance it was around 7k
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-221120081760.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-221120081761.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-221120081762.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 21st December 2009, 10:25   #4253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
i saw the Bus driver & conductor running inside the hotel and went directly into the Kitchen.
That was to avoid being beaten up by the locals.
Quote:
At the entrance there were lots of confusion, a ford Ikon Golden color Car traveling in Bangalore direction hit the Bus (perpendicular) and in the impact the front bonnet & engine was completely smashed.
This would have been my case as well an year back where I encountered a perpendicular bus right in the middle of the highway. It was stuck. Most of these driver don't give 2 hoots about other road users. All they have to do is wait till they can make a cut on the road. I think they derive sadistic pleasure making other car users brake at their mercy.
Quote:
Luckily this happened near toll gate so 3 Ambulance came immediately and shifted the injured. A person should be aged around 60 died on the spot (may his soul RIP)! The condition of the person who drove the car is not know but was told that is legs are broken. A lady & a Kid with sitting at the back seat had lots of injuries and were bleeding, they were taken to a nearest Hospital!!! I'm still shaken.
RIP!! Hope the rest of the injured get well soon.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 21st December 2009 at 10:28.
Old 21st December 2009, 12:08   #4254
BHPian

Here is something I clicked while returning from college. Was parked at a garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-crashed-qualis1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-crashed-qualis2.jpg  

Old 21st December 2009, 12:18   #4255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
All they have to do is wait till they can make a cut on the road. I think they derive sadistic pleasure making other car users brake at their mercy.
Isnt this typical of local culture across the country

I am approaching a crossing at high speed, there is no traffic behind me, and they cross the road as i approach closer to the crossing.

But when i was farther away, they were still watching me. ***?
As i come closer they cut a turn.

They could wait 2 secs and let me pass, as there was no one behind me, on an empty road. I dont know if this is a genetic problem.
Old 21st December 2009, 12:25   #4256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
Here is something I clicked while returning from college. Was parked at a garage.
Seems like the guy hit a high GC vehicle like a truck from behind at high speed.
Old 21st December 2009, 16:16   #4257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
Sad to see this as I can see the blood on the front door. How many person were traveling? any details?
Old 21st December 2009, 23:23   #4258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
Sad to see this as I can see the blood on the front door. How many person were traveling? any details?
They gave me a masala story. A guy said only the driver survived. Now, he said only, I'm assuming at least 2 people were traveling. I'll ask the guys there again.

The sight is horrific. My friend wanted to touch it which I whacked him for obviously.
Old 23rd December 2009, 13:37   #4259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilanjar View Post
I wonder how the Maruti Manufacturing standards are so low that the Alto bumper is literally 'torn off' after being hit by the esteem. The bumpers cant even withstand an impact like this one ... its simply gives up so easily, its a safety concern.

I dont think these cars even qualify for the Crashtests..
AFAIK, bumpers are bound to take the impact and rupture and break otherwise if they remain sturdy as you mentioned , then they will transfer the force of the impact to the occupants and the chasis of the car.That is why we do not encourage the use of bullbars on cars as unlike OEM bumpers, the bullbar is sturdy and transfers the entire impact on collision to the chasis and the occupants of the vehicle
Old 23rd December 2009, 16:51   #4260
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure if u can call this an accident
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-19261_383537340480_755280480_10282854_7533679_n.jpg  

Most Viewed