Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2010, 14:46   #4486
Senior - BHPian

Lost my cousin's husband to an accident two weeks back.

Late night, group of 5 driving down the Madikeri-Mysore stretch. 3 killed on the spot, 2 in critical condition in hospital. One of the survivors has both his legs amputated. My cousin's husband was in the co-driver's seat. Barely a year since they got married and moved to the US. Had come back on a holiday. He had gone to Madikeri with his friends.

Last edited by discoverwild : 18th January 2010 at 14:47.
Old 18th January 2010, 14:52   #4487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruiser View Post
Saw this report in Deccan herald this morning - sad to hear a case of careless driving yet again

Three software engineers were killed instantaneously in a road accident in the City in the early hours of Sunday.

The accident occurred when the car in which they were travelling rammed into a truck on Hosur Road near Veerasandra Gate in front of Prashanth Cylinders.

The deceased were identified as Pradeep J Bhat (29) of Ananthnagar, Prabod Kishore Behra (31) of HAL, and Richard Blancho (30) of K S Layout. Pradeep was from Mangalore and Prabodh and Richard from Behrampur, Orissa. Pradeep was a team leader with Infosys BPO, while Behra was working with HP and Blancho with JP Morgan.

“All the three were heading towards Hosur Road. Rash driving is beileved to have caused the mishap. It is yet to be ascertained if they were drunk as we are awaiting the post mortem reports,” police said.

Pradeep was driving the Alto car at break-neck speed. None of the passengers was wearing fastening belts. Pradeep lost control while overtaking a truck and crashed into the vehicle’s rear.

They sustained severe head injuries and died on the spot. The driver of the truck, registered in Maharashtra, fled the scene. The police did not get any response when they called the phone numbers found in the truck.
i was on housur road that time and passed the badly mangled alto wreck maybe sometime after the accident happnd as i could see a lot of cops and people on the road.

I would doubt it being a case of rash driving, as i did hear people talk that the truck was parked w/o any parking light on the road and not the service road. God have mercy, and bless the souls of people who died in that accident.
Old 18th January 2010, 15:10   #4488
BHPian

We all saw the Alto wreck on our way to Yelagiri yesterday morning. It was badly mangled and the front passenger area was non-existent.

Witnessed another accident minutes away from my home in the evening.

There's a 2 lane road which has been recently relaid. A good excuse for the local boys to ape Rossi sans the helmet.
The road has a park on one side and residential houses on the other. A gentleman in his Cedia came home, crossed the road and was parking his car in his portico. He had to cross the road since he approached from the Park side. As he was parking, a "Rossi" on a Activa (no helmet), smashed into his rear bumper, skidded off and as he was giving into the forces of gravity, a speeding Indica (who else!) mowed him down and ran away.

I reached the scene minutes after this. Saddening to see most people take a u-turn and flee the scene( there went our educated folks). There sure were some local boys to assist the injured. Called in an ambulance and the cops. Ambulance showed up in 5 mins and the hapless gentleman accompanied the injured to the hospital. Cops, as usual, were a no show! So much for efficiency!
The angry mob then turned to the gentleman's wife for not moving the injured in their car to the hospital. The mob was pacified. The lady was however trying to locate a eyewitness lady who saw the scooter being ridden rashly and the indicab ploughing into the guy. The eyewitness just moved away from the scene(Some social responsiblity). Thankfully, one of the local boys volunteered as a witness.I could imagine from the scene of the accident and was willing to vouch for the fact that the witness was genuine.
Even as I drove back with shaky hands, the scenes of the bloody face of the victim, the trashed activa and pools of blood on the road kept flashing by.

I had a camera on me. However, I felt it to be really unethical to take pictures of anything that gory.

The last update from today morning is that the victim seems to be stabilizing but he's still in the ICU.
Old 18th January 2010, 15:10   #4489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A visiting-tourist friend of mine took a trip from Chennai to Thiruvannamalai during the past few days. Even I found it hard to believe that she saw the remains of no less than six accidents, including one head-on between a bus and an SUV

Hmmm you said it here. Actually the most accidents in that road NH66 happen due to bad roads.

I saw a truck fully loaded with metal bars ramped into a culvert and flipped down to the canal. Since the truck loaded with metal rods and the sudden slop created huge impact and killed 3 people on the board instantly. I couldn't stand on my foot after seeing that accident last weekend hence no picture.

Later I understood, the truck tried to escape to run over a rock put on the middle of Z bend crashed into the culvert. The rock was placed middle of a Z bend where visibility is close to NIL due to a big path hole on the road.

The whole Krishnagiri to Pondichery road maintenance contract has been given to some partymen and he is delaying the work so all these accidents. Only in India we have no options to actually catch hold of these culprits.
Old 18th January 2010, 15:26   #4490
Senior - BHPian

This is common nowadays for trucks parking on the road in the wee hours.We have to be very careful during night/early morning drives
Old 18th January 2010, 18:15   #4491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
This is common nowadays for trucks parking on the road in the wee hours.We have to be very careful during night/early morning drives
During my Fri Night Drive on the way to Mysore, a Truck was indeed parked on the left with just stones and twigs. I was not driving much fast and saw it quite beforehand. Why cant they have working indicators atleast?
Old 18th January 2010, 19:51   #4492
BHPian

Saw on TV a couple of days back about this 15 cars pileup at Delhi. Was a very bizarre story - one truck was left in the middle road after it was involved in some accident. Due to heavy fog, an approaching vehicle could not spot the truck and rammed into it. And then 14 more cars followed suite, thanks to the heavy fog. I myself felt so angry imagining how much time and money the owners of those 15 cars would have to pay for what the moron truck driver did.
Old 18th January 2010, 19:58   #4493
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai santro crash
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-102_1024.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-102_1029.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-102_1041.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-102_1043.jpg  

Old 18th January 2010, 20:00   #4494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
Came accross this at outer ring road, Bangalore last month, i don't know how the driver managed this feat !!
Vertical horizon. Is that a NHC?
Old 18th January 2010, 20:11   #4495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Vertical horizon. Is that a NHC?
Its a Hyundai Verna!
Old 18th January 2010, 22:22   #4496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai santro crash
Hey Sid I hope that is not your's. By the way the vertical car on the last page is a Verna.
Old 18th January 2010, 23:04   #4497
Senior - BHPian

2 more pics of Hyundai santro crash
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-102_1045.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-102_1046.jpg  

Old 19th January 2010, 00:49   #4498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
... Due to heavy fog, an approaching vehicle could not spot the truck and rammed into it. And then 14 more cars followed suite, thanks to the heavy fog. I myself felt so angry imagining how much time and money the owners of those 15 cars would have to pay for what the moron truck driver did.
No anger for the 15 morons driving too fast to stop?

Old 19th January 2010, 09:24   #4499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
During my Fri Night Drive on the way to Mysore, a Truck was indeed parked on the left with just stones and twigs. I was not driving much fast and saw it quite beforehand. Why cant they have working indicators atleast?
When the vehicle is new the indicators would be present, but as time goes by due to the way these trucks are used the indicators don't work and the truck drivers/owners are least bothered.
Quote:
Hyundai santro crash
I am 100% sure that when everyone sees this santro the first question is "Sid is it your car?"
Old 19th January 2010, 17:25   #4500
BHPian

Did anyone from Gurgaon see the Accident Right Next to the Exit of IFFCO chowk while going towards Delhi, All I could see was smoke, A Fire Truck. Any Pics?

Most Viewed