Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2010, 20:16   #4696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Biker falling to death sounds like typical indian rumor.

I can see that the biker left his helmet on the roof of the car.
Are you sure the helmet belongs to the bike rider, and no one else?
Old 9th February 2010, 21:13   #4697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Yes, unless the BPO cab driver was wearing one!
Old 9th February 2010, 22:04   #4698
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Yes, unless the BPO cab driver was wearing one!
The way these cabbies drive, I'm sure the Cops will need to make helmets (and possibly, even a roll-cage!) compulsory for the drivers!

Jokes apart, it's sad to see lives being wiped out just like that. These cabbies' licenses need to be revoked and they need to be banned from driving for the rest of their lives! And shame on people who spread rumors (the biker being thrown off the fly-over) and convert a tragedy into sensational news!
Old 9th February 2010, 22:49   #4699
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm sad to know that the biker died in that accident, and that it was through absolutely no fault of his own. I'd like a compulsory limiter on public vehicles, taxis, buses and all... maybe keep them to 30Kph, even: make them slow down, and even if proper driving tests for the general public are a distant dream, they could be introduced for public-service drivers. Oh, and how about a minimum age. 40, maybe.

The must be some way...
Old 9th February 2010, 23:18   #4700
Senior - BHPian

There was a crazy accident on Kathipara flyover in Chennai today. The load on a truck fell on to a MTC bus that was overtaking it I guess. Dont know what happened, just saw the mangled mess. I have a feeling the truck was taking the curved exit at speed and bus was trying to overtake, sudden braking etc etc., truck tilts and load falls on bus! Anyone got pics? The bus had substantial damage, cud mean fatal injuries to passengers.
Old 9th February 2010, 23:33   #4701
BHPian

This just in today - BBC News - Deadly tractor crash kills 23 in northern India
Old 10th February 2010, 00:09   #4702
Senior - BHPian

Hi..

I had an accident today. It feels weird writing about it knowing how close it came to me being an ex-member here.
Me and my father were traveling from Dehradun to Delhi in an Innova around 2.30 in the afternoon. Now, the driver since starting from home had a predisposition to speed.

We hadn't even cleared city limits when our Innova rammed into a truck that was turning right through a cut.
The truck was initially in the left most lane and was almost stationary. I can't recall if he had given a turn signal (not that they are very visible). Our guy was speeding away to glory at around 80-90 kmph. Now it had been raining all day and the roads were pretty wet.
It seems that the driver was looking out his window at something when dad shouted and warned him of the truck. The driver slammed the brakes and the wheels locked.

We skidded our way into a half turned truck. The impact was pretty hard and the rear wheels were thrown up.

The Innova's left front ended up 6 inches away from the truck's fuel tank.

Somehow we all escaped with no injuries. Having foreseen what was about to happen, I grabbed the front seat and lowered my head.

Thankfully there were no injuries, but it was sort of scary .

We both ended up with a few scratches and I got a sprained wrist. I guess I sprained my shoulder too as my left arm is sort of stiff right now.

Lesson learned: No highway traveling on a car without ABS and airbags.

Sadly no pics. :(

For people who know the area... this was just before Mohand, near the Graphic Era university.

Freaky day! We continued on to Delhi and reached safely around 11.
Old 10th February 2010, 00:25   #4703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Hi..

I had an accident today. It feels weird writing about it knowing how close it came to me being an ex-member here.
oh man! what a close call you guys had. Thank god all of you are safe n sound (bar the minor scratches).
I hope your driver and the truck driver has learnt something from this.
Old 10th February 2010, 01:02   #4704
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi..

I had an accident today. It feels weird writing about it knowing how close it came to me being an ex-member here...

...Freaky day! We continued on to Delhi and reached safely around 11.
Wow! Close call, dude! That's gotta send jitters down your spine for a couple of days! It's a good thing no one was hurt and that's what matters at the end of the day!
Old 10th February 2010, 01:15   #4705
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Lesson learned: No highway traveling on a car without ABS and airbags.
Possibly the sort of accident in which ABS would not have helped. It helps you to steer while breaking, but if there is nowhere to safely steer too...

Seat belts would have been good. Were you using them?

Anyway, it looks like the vehicle did a good job of preserving you. Glad to know nothing worse happened.
Old 10th February 2010, 01:24   #4706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
oh man! what a close call you guys had. Thank god all of you are safe n sound (bar the minor scratches).
I hope your driver and the truck driver has learnt something from this.
They were busy blaming each other when I last noticed.

Our driver did not even bother to turn the ignition off, I had to lean over to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Wow! Close call, dude! That's gotta send jitters down your spine for a couple of days! It's a good thing no one was hurt and that's what matters at the end of the day!
True true! It was quite scary. You never imagine it could happen to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Possibly the sort of accident in which ABS would not have helped. It helps you to steer while breaking, but if there is nowhere to safely steer too...

Seat belts would have been good. Were you using them?

Anyway, it looks like the vehicle did a good job of preserving you. Glad to know nothing worse happened.
True... There was precious little the ABS could have done in the situation. There was a bit of space i.e the left kerb, but it would have been a long shot even with ABS.

We were in the rear seats and were not using the belts. Thankfully the rear seating helped.
Old 10th February 2010, 01:41   #4707
BHPian

Quote:

We were in the rear seats and were not using the belts. Thankfully the rear seating helped.
That doesn't mean that you do not wear your belts, Sitting in the back seat is only a little better than sitting in the front, I make sure all occupants wear belts in the car before hitting the highway. Hope you're gonna do that from now on
Old 10th February 2010, 01:56   #4708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
My gosh! Just a bit more and the bike would have been on a downfall to the road below.
I wonder where the biker has gone. Hope he has not fallen down the flyover. His helmet is seen on the Indicab though.
Old 10th February 2010, 02:42   #4709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_ View Post
I wonder where the biker has gone. Hope he has not fallen down the flyover. His helmet is seen on the Indicab though.
Johnny - the poor soul has left the earth as per the updates on the forum. RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm sad to know that the biker died in that accident, and that it was through absolutely no fault of his own.
Yeah Thad. Absolutely no mistake of his. Broad day light mad rush has claimed another innocent soul. These reckless cabbies need to be punished.
Old 10th February 2010, 07:59   #4710
BHPian

Here is an accident where in something hit the truck (probably a car which i could'nt spot at the site). what happened the truck got "fractured"!!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00992.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks