Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2010, 10:19   #4741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
At times I feel like not going through this thread. But then the very thought of this thread makes me a safe driver on the road!!!
I wonder what would be the state of the lorry & bus drivers who were responsible for this accident. Will they give up driving, even if they get away with the peanut fine & jail? Will they ever repent? Will they start any "I did a mistake & let me ensure no one else gets killed like this?"
Very true. This thread makes one feel uneasy, insecure behind wheels. This Verna accident, probably the worst that I have seen.

For the lorry/bus drivers, hope guilt catches up. For guilt could be a very difficult roommate to have.
Old 11th February 2010, 10:54   #4742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Very true. This thread makes one feel uneasy, insecure behind wheels. This Verna accident, probably the worst that I have seen.

For the lorry/bus drivers, hope guilt catches up. For guilt could be a very difficult roommate to have.
On the contrary this thread also kind of educates you to understand many situations which you think can never happen to you. I've enlightened myself with many situations which i've never imagined in the wildest of my dreams.
Old 11th February 2010, 10:59   #4743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
On the contrary this thread also kind of educates you to understand many situations which you think can never happen to you. I've enlightened myself with many situations which i've never imagined in the wildest of my dreams.
+1 to that.
In fact, each situation is being analyzed for possible causes, which in turn educates us to avoid being in such situations or to be prepared to react quickly. Even if the thread scares a bit, it is good to get scared than being ignorant of the consequences of totally unexpected events.
In middle east, very scary wrecked vehicles (or parts of) are placed right in the middle of round-abouts or next to major traffic lights, very similar to the split-Verna, only to make people aware of consequences, and those are definitely scary too.
Old 11th February 2010, 11:24   #4744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From the looks of it, they wouldn't have gone any further due to damages sustained to their vehicles as well. From the looks of it only.
Old 11th February 2010, 11:28   #4745
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
It was a businessman's family from tirupur where they were returning after finishing the admission formalities of their daughter.
That route, the bus drivers are totally homicidal.

Numerous times I have driven down this road I wonder why no one says anything. I am alarmed such incident dont happen everyday.

Its very easy to rein these drivers in. The same situation used to happen in our state too. People stopped using the services of these private operators. No political backing helps them. Over the years with constant public outrage against the bus drivers the whole route was nationalised, i.e no private operators can run.

Maybe Coimbatore and Erode and surrounding areas are a backward places where people dont bother about such things and are are more interested in their own lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
I'm not sure i understood.
Verna, behind it is the truck. Bus comes from opposite side hits Verna head on and sandwiches it between itself and the truck behind the Verna.

The bus is totally on the wrong lane.

Quote:
That wont happen. For the last 5 yeas I have been driving down this route. And since my wife is from Coimbatore she has been witnessing such incidents for the last 10 odd years. The drivers come back after going underground. Are saved by their political bosses and some more lives are lost.

Nothing will happen until the public there who are more like cockroaches get a spine.
Old 11th February 2010, 11:40   #4746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Even if the thread scares a bit, it is good to get scared than being ignorant of the consequences of totally unexpected events.
In middle east, very scary wrecked vehicles (or parts of) are placed right in the middle of round-abouts or next to major traffic lights, very similar to the split-Verna, only to make people aware of consequences, and those are definitely scary too.
True, some amount of fear should be there in our minds to cultivate responsible driving behavior. Whether rash drivers or moderate drivers, carelessness costs lives and property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Maybe Coimbatore and Erode and surrounding areas are a backward places where people dont bother about such things and are are more interested in their own lives.
That wont happen. For the last 5 yeas I have been driving down this route. And since my wife is from Coimbatore she has been witnessing such incidents for the last 10 odd years. The drivers come back after going underground. Are saved by their political bosses and some more lives are lost.

Nothing will happen until the public there who are more like cockroaches get a spine.
That is surprising. In KA, in such cases, the locals are very prompt in torching the bus/lorry.
Old 11th February 2010, 12:09   #4747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That route, the bus drivers are totally homicidal.
very true. every december we drive down to my hometown (Thrissur) and we always find these idiots on the road. they'll have their headlights on all the time and overtake however and whenever they feel like - even if there is a vehicle coming from the opposite side. many i times i've had to get off the shoulder just to avoid these maniacs!

on our way back to Bangalore last December, after Dharmapuri on the ghat section, a bus driver suddenly turned right to overtake the bus in front of him - this inspite of me honking and letting him know that i'm overtaking. i was midway through the overtaking maneuver. he almost plastered us on the divider!

another big problem on these roads is people driving on the wrong side of the road and that too in the fast lane! big vehicles we can see, but it is the smaller 2-wheelers that have the potential to cause accidents.
Old 11th February 2010, 12:25   #4748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
on our way back to Bangalore last December, after Dharmapuri on the ghat section, a bus driver suddenly turned right to overtake the bus in front of him - this inspite of me honking and letting him know that i'm overtaking. i was midway through the overtaking maneuver. he almost plastered us on the divider!
Same on the Namakkal to Trichy route. The bus drivers know the lane is narrow but still they will come on you like they don't care. One has to stop at the shoulder be it a scorp or a zen or anything else.
If it is a norm in these places means that they have nice backing from the authorities which makes them invincible.
In MH, even a broken mirror has to be accounted for, from the driver's pocket. Let alone big incidents.
Old 11th February 2010, 12:29   #4749
BHPian

Quote:
Verna, behind it is the truck. Bus comes from opposite side hits Verna head on and sandwiches it between itself and the truck behind the Verna.

The bus is totally on the wrong lane.
Thanks. it makes sense now.

That route is full of "Point To Point" superfast and "Non-Stop" buses driven by maniacs.

-- Torqy
Old 11th February 2010, 12:43   #4750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
RIP to the family in the Verna; drinks or no drinks generally these bus & truck drivers care a damn for the small vehicles on the highway.
cars and bikes are given no space by the trucks and buses. Esp, when you are driving in the night. When you dim & dip your headlight, they care a damn about switching the lights to low beam. I slow down completely as I'm completely blinded with those light.

on the other hand if you are driving an SUV, you get good respect from the truckers. They give you way to overtake, they respond to your dipper.
Old 11th February 2010, 15:07   #4751
BHPian

That Verna crash is really shocking. May their souls rest in peace.
On a different note: Last night when I was watching TV (at 1am) I heard a loud screech and a 'THUD'. Then in 15 minutes i could hear sirens, I was sure it was an accident and wanted to go there, but my car is in the service station. Today morning, after coming to office i was informed that a BPO Sumo cab had rammed a Canter truck on the ring road near Lottegollahalli. 2 people are dead, both BPO employees. Will post the pictures if I can find the wreckage near a police station.
Old 11th February 2010, 15:30   #4752
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday night I was driving on the old airport road and I saw an Indica and Innvova which had collided in to each other and were badly damaged. Not sure if someone was seriously hurt or anything.
In fact the Indica was resting perpedicular to the road, partially blocking the traffic and Innova was found on the other side of the road divider/fencing.
I could not take any pictures.
Old 11th February 2010, 15:32   #4753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Yesterday night I was driving on the old airport road and I saw an Indica and Innvova which had collided in to each other and were badly damaged. Not sure if someone was seriously hurt or anything.
In fact the Indica was resting perpedicular to the road, partially blocking the traffic and Innova was found on the other side of the road divider/fencing.
I could not take any pictures.
HAL Airport Road? Where exactly on this road?
Old 11th February 2010, 16:33   #4754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Have seen similar stuff being done by traffic police on the inner ring road in Bangy. There was a totalled red Verna/Accent which had done a full speed parking under a truck and was put up on a tow truck parked on the ring road with big banners all over saying "My Driver was drunk (and now dead!)".
Old 11th February 2010, 17:01   #4755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Lesson learned: No highway traveling on a car without ABS and airbags.
Please, don't take that as a lesson learned. That don't deserve to be a lesson. Wear seat-belts, drive sensibly. Expect the unexpected - this is a much much bigger lesson to be learned than making it a point to travel in a car with ABS and airbags.

Just linking the picture few pages behind in this context. It has ABS, but it couldn't save this beauty from hitting the pole - wonder why?

Last edited by clevermax : 11th February 2010 at 17:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks