Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2010, 01:17   #4801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Feel these Japanese and Korean cars are the worst when it comes to withstanding impacts.Even the Indian built Tata cars are way ahead of these ductile cars from the Far East as far as the build quality goes.
Any car (Japanese, Korean, German, American...) when involved in an accident at 110 kmph is not going to survive the crash especially against a bus!!! Please remember that Lady Diana died in a car crash and she was in a Benz!!!

One of the features of most cars is to absorb the energy from the crash and dissipate it on the body of the car. So the car will buckle, break, crumple rather than passing on the energy to the passengers.
Old 15th February 2010, 02:05   #4802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Witnessed this accident between Karwar - Hubli highway near a place called SUNKAL. It was happened on 12th Feb around 12 in the afternoon, i heard a loud noise ahead of me. It was a horrific scene.

3 is believed to be dead on the spot as no one was attempted to take out the bodies including a dump local police person. After i made some noises he allowed me to check . I checked the pulse of the mother and a small kid and there was no sign of life. I was not able to find or check the father who was driving as the metal plates were jammed on to him.

Behind this car (lancer) one more car were accompanying them (Ambassador) in which the grand dad (i believe) and the second son of the victims were travelling. I called up the ambulance they were saying it has to come from Hubli.

The sad thing was no one was willing to help including the Police person.

The mom and kid were sitting at front without wearing the seat belt. and i strongly believes a seat belt could have saved the lady as her head slammed in to the dash board.

I'm only attaching two pictures as other shots are so disturbing as the victims were still on the car.
Sir, I feel sorry for the victims. May their souls RIP. But at the same time, I must point out, it takes a lot of courage/strength of character to check out the condition of the victims in such a horrid accident. Its an inspiring message by a Team BHPian to all of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Any car (Japanese, Korean, German, American...) when involved in an accident at 110 kmph is not going to survive the crash especially against a bus!!! Please remember that Lady Diana died in a car crash and she was in a Benz!!!

One of the features of most cars is to absorb the energy from the crash and dissipate it on the body of the car. So the car will buckle, break, crumple rather than passing on the energy to the passengers.
Very true. I agree with you completely Sir. You couldn't have said it better.

Last edited by Dippy : 15th February 2010 at 09:15. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use the edit function if posting within 20 minutes of your earlier post.
Old 15th February 2010, 09:19   #4803
Distinguished - BHPian

The lorry was to the extreme right and this seems to be a curve. I have been on this route quite a few times, there are quite a few blind curves and these lorries carrying load from mines are too many and pose too much of danger to the other road users.

May their souls RIP.
Old 15th February 2010, 10:01   #4804
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Any car (Japanese, Korean, German, American...) when involved in an accident at 110 kmph is not going to survive the crash especially against a bus!!! Please remember that Lady Diana died in a car crash and she was in a Benz!!! .

....she died since whe was not wearing seat belts. If she had, she would be alive also she was have suffered some injuries
Old 15th February 2010, 10:09   #4805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Witnessed this accident between Karwar - Hubli highway ... 3 is believed to be dead on the spot ...

I checked the pulse of the mother and a small kid and there was no sign of life. I was not able to find or check the father who was driving as the metal plates were jammed on to him.

Behind this car (lancer) one more car were accompanying them (Ambassador) in which the grand dad (i believe) and the second son of the victims were travelling.
wildon, it takes a lot of courage to do what you did.

I just pray that the second son who survived gets enough strength to face the situation. How old is he?
Old 15th February 2010, 11:01   #4806
BHPian

Saw this M800 at M.A.S.S., we were in a hurry so could not ask how this happened.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-0213_163516.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-0213_163555.jpg
Old 15th February 2010, 11:09   #4807
BHPian

That lancer crash is a terrible one.
I wish people become a bit more responsible when it comes to driving. The crash might have been due to the truck drivers wayward driving, but if the passangers had used their seatbelts it might not have been this bad.
Hard to say anything about the guy in the driver seat. The crash seems to be so bad that it could have been fatal for him even if he was wearing his seatbelt.
May their souls Rest In Peace.
Old 15th February 2010, 12:09   #4808
BHPian

It's not about Japanese cars or build quality...put a Scorpio or an Indigo in place of that lancer and the result wouldn't be too different and wouldn't be surprised to see worse results in a Scorpio or Indigo.

Hats off to the courage displayed by a fellow member to at least try and help while the rest were just looking at the scene.
Old 15th February 2010, 12:33   #4809
Senior - BHPian

Oh dear. Every single panel on that 800 is damaged. Rollover?
Old 15th February 2010, 12:42   #4810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Oh dear. Every single panel on that 800 is damaged. Rollover?
Well, from the condition of the roof/pillars it looks more like just a side collision and not a subsequent rollover.

Regards.
Old 15th February 2010, 15:32   #4811
Senior - BHPian

Wildon,

I read your post on Lancer accident the same day you posted it and really appreciating your courage, I have heard of many instances where people hesitate to help victims in such conditions, you may have few thoughts running across the mind before you step forward to help but the one who takes that step has to be Brave.

You have set an example for all of us BHPians.
Old 15th February 2010, 18:54   #4812
Senior - BHPian

Yat another Verna CRDI crashed. I don't know but its becoming a habit for me to see a Verna CRDI in a mangled heap every second or third day. Why?

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02270.jpg

Yet once again.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02271.jpg

Last edited by sidindica : 15th February 2010 at 19:00.
Old 15th February 2010, 20:03   #4813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
I don't know but its becoming a habit for me to see a Verna CRDI in a mangled heap every second or third day. Why?

Attachment 288515
I'll tell you why. Because they didn't plonk that engine into too many Getz (else you'd have seen more Getz in worse condition than you see Vernas ). 110 bhp on tap, 24 kg-m of torque, responds like rocket-powered roller skates, and with an idiot behind the wheel. I'm sure there are more Vernas being crashed around the country than any other similar-priced sedan.
Old 15th February 2010, 21:44   #4814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
The lives of the passengers are in their own hands,not the government's.It not possible for the government to make each and every driver/passenger buckle up against their own will.The best they can do is increase awareness.
The rest is in our hands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The rules are already in place, but as long as our attitudes do not change we will have people who will go along with your view point.

At the end of the day it is the people on the road who end up injured, dead or losing their loved ones and to the government it is just one person less amongst a 100 crore = does not matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
+1.
How can we put blame on government for our casual behaviour? For how long can government teach people about their own safety? We have had enough of "wear helmet" and "wear seatbelts" campaigns. I guess every driver in India knows that wearing seatbelt is for his/her own safety, so even if he does not knows about the laws that should not keep him from wearing seatbelts.
Also, DLs are issued to 'adults'. Citizens who are deemed to responsible enough to vote and to enjoy all the civic ammenities. So, should government expect behaviour akin to high school kids from such adults?
Is government merely a nanny who should teach us adults about our own safety? At the end, it is us who are involved in a mishap and 99 times out of 100 its due to our fault. Our on-road behaviour should be put to blame more often than blaming the government for poor roads. Laws are all in place, its on to us to put them to good use. As for the 'government', even that body consists of citizens like us its not as if the laws are written in the Holy Bible.
If it is 'people' as government that can construct such laws then it is the same 'people' who are bound to follow them.
Merely making laws and enforcing them is not the need of the hour rather its high time for all the road users to realise that their lives are at risk and they should protect them rather than leaving it all to the government.

Take this case as an example, if a person has enough money to travel in a Lancer (which is a 'big' car in India), can any of us vouch for the fact that he or his family was unaware of the utility of seatbelts? Sure, whatever happened was tragic and its not that am not sad for the grief stuck family, but in the end if they would had not be so casual towards their own safety perhaps one of them may have been alive at the moment.

Sorry for the long post, got carried away but I stand by the fact that government should not be blamed for such mishaps atleast after some extent. When, government can identify us as adults and responsible enough to drive, its not wrong in considering us matured enough to care about our own safety if not of other road users.

Regards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Absolutely wrong statement friend.
If an individual can't take responsibility of himself, how can he blame government.
Considering India's population, I don't think government will be concerned at all.
And there is certainly a practical difficulty in countries like India to ensure everyone follows rule.

Feel sad for the occupants of the Lancer. May not be their mistake at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Guys, I think akshay_b was being a bit sarcastic, he doesnt mean it.

RIP to the Lancer guys and dude it needs guts to feel the pulse of victims in such accidents. Good that you tried to help, may your tirbe grow.
Taking Karnataka into consideration, Seat belts are not mandatory in any parts of KA, i know it is mandatory in Delhi and Mumbai, This is what i'm trying to tell, Helmet rule was enforced a few years back and every rider on the road HAS to wear a helmet or else he would be flagged down,
again, each and every one of us would wear seatbelts if it was made compulsory and with fine ,us indians are not taught road manners at school nor in the so called driving schools, we blame the auto drivers and local bus driver for not keeping in lane or not stopping for a red light, they are'nt as fortunate as us to travel to developed countries and adapt to their style of driving or log on to tbhp like us, many dont even know what lanes are for, we just think road is the place to travel and we never bother to learn completely about it, my point is, Most of the people know that it is not right to stop beyond the stop line at a red signal but people even cross the zebra cross and stand beyond it, People would definitely learn to stop before the stop line if our govt. Impose heavy fines for an offense.
if our govt. makes the rule more strict and impose heavy fines, each and every person would learn about the rules and adhere to even if it is an uneducated lorry driver.

Last edited by akshay_b : 15th February 2010 at 21:48.
Old 15th February 2010, 21:58   #4815
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
wildon, it takes a lot of courage to do what you did.

I just pray that the second son who survived gets enough strength to face the situation. How old is he?
The second son looked like under 6-7 yrs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks