Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2010, 15:33   #5071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Where this happened?
Oh- I never realized I left out that detail. This place was 10'ish Kms from Tiruvanamalai.

TVMalai; which is half way between Bangalore - pondicherry route; is known for this famous Shiva Temple, this town is ~150Kms from Chennai, ~100Kms from Pondicherry (interior TN, far from the coast). Surprisingly this accident on TVMalai - Thindivanam road which is part of NH66. You have to see this place to believe it - its a 15foot (max) wide road part of the NH grid. So many tricky bends... Pity!!
Old 9th March 2010, 10:40   #5072
Distinguished - BHPian

A good friend's son and niece died last Thursday in a car crash in my locality.

Kerbstones on VK road cause car crash, 2 dead - Delhi - City - The Times of India

Such a tragedy does not come visiting so close to home very often, and it has been a very depressing few days for us.
Old 9th March 2010, 10:52   #5073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

Kerbstones on VK road cause car crash, 2 dead - Delhi - City - The Times of India

Such a tragedy does not come visiting so close to home very often, and it has been a very depressing few days for us.
Sad to read that.
Couple of things that really left me dumbstruck from the article:
1. The police saying, "However, so far we have not found enough evidence which would enable us to book any civic agency or its sub-contractor for negligence"
2. "The police said it was standard procedure to take accident victims to the nearest government hospital " I thought saving lives would be the topmost standard procedure for those who promise to protect and serve!
Old 9th March 2010, 11:12   #5074
Senior - BHPian

Quote: The kerbstone - led a young driver to swerve and bump into a pole at high speed on Mahipalpur Road, near Vasant Square Mall in Vasant Kunj, early on Thursday morning. The Corolla car then jumped the divider and collided with an Innova, which was travelling in the other direction from Gurgaon."
Man, What kind of speed the guy must have been driving at 1:30 am.?
IMO, If he had maintained moderate speed, he would have lived today.
Old 9th March 2010, 12:14   #5075
Senior - BHPian

@RajaTaurus:

Maybe, maybe not

Ever since the CWG work has picked up pace, the PWD is after everyone's life to rebuild all roads. And this means ALL roads!
Even ones which are perfectly alright.

Apart from this the central dividers have been dismantled and the stones scattered in the middle of the road (scene right outside my colony). I don't know who is the smartass responsible for this, but it sure is an accident waiting to happen.
Old 9th March 2010, 13:29   #5076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

Really sorry to hear this. But I feel if they were not speeding on an accident prone road, they would have survived. Nonetheless, whats happened has happened. Its human tendency to push the gas pedal on empty roads and especially late night.
Old 9th March 2010, 13:37   #5077
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vaisakh,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
Its one of the most dangerous roads in Kerala (4line NH-47 from Aroor to Cherthala). If you are riding through that road always expect the unexpected to happen.
Even at 60 to 65 kph speed, I find it quite dangerous and I rarely cross 70kph.
Old 10th March 2010, 00:13   #5078
Senior - BHPian

Details_

This happened on Saturday morning on the way to Tirupathi somewhere near Chittoor. My friend from our apartment complex lost his life in this accident. I'm still trying to figure out how this accident could have caused the i10 to be so badly ripped apart.

According to the news that reached us, seems two buses were trying to overtake each other and one of them rammed into the car.

Warning: picture could be graphic in nature.
Old 10th March 2010, 10:45   #5079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
This happened on Saturday morning on the way to Tirupathi somewhere near Chittoor. My friend from our apartment complex lost his life in this accident. I'm still trying to figure out how this accident could have caused the i10 to be so badly ripped apart.

According to the news that reached us, seems two buses were trying to overtake each other and one of them rammed into the car.

That stretch is notorious for such accidents. There are no dividers, and speed limit is 100 KMPH. Hence drivers get enthusiastic. On top of this, there are local cyclists and mopeds using the same road.

I know 4 people who have lost their lives in that stretch (in seperate accidents). Two of them were very senior scientists in space research.
Old 10th March 2010, 11:16   #5080
BHPian

These kerbstones are a real danger. I have a nasty ding on my linea because of one such kerbstone and It is unfortunate that two lives were lost because of another. To all pointing fingers here and there- A sincere request - Please be sensitive towards the loss of human life. This thread is to discuss incidents but not to trivialize human tragedies.
Old 10th March 2010, 15:23   #5081
Senior - BHPian

@pradster
+1 to the comments on kerbstones.
I myself have been a victim. Happened some years ago in Powai, I was at 30 -40 Kmph max and my Zen brushed an iron rebar jutting out nearly a foot or so at road level (parallel to the road itself therefore invisible to the driver) from concrete blocks being used as dividers. The front right tubeless Michelin Certis exploded. I was somehow able to control the car and roll to the left shoulder otherwise I would have been a number too.

As for pointing fingers, I agree with you that the departed souls are to be respected. The way I read the above comments, I believe the teamsters are merely expressing their concerns on the perils of speeding.

Last edited by khoj : 10th March 2010 at 15:25.
Old 10th March 2010, 15:41   #5082
BHPian

This is a maruthi 800 I saw dumped at the Pattom police station. Don't know the owner is alive. Took the pic with my mobile.So please excuse the quality. Also one constable Drove me away for taking the pic. I suppose he thought i'm taking a pic of him for some media purpose.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-100310_1356.jpg  

Old 10th March 2010, 15:47   #5083
Senior - BHPian

@Anupam, if the driver was wearing a seatbelt then he would be having small bruises. I don't think he would be killed. But you never know what might have happened until we get the facts
Old 10th March 2010, 15:55   #5084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
pradster[/b];1774799]To all pointing fingers here and there- A sincere request - Please be sensitive towards the loss of human life. This thread is to discuss incidents but not to trivialize human tragedies.
pradster, I don't think anyone is pointing fingers or trivialising any accident. That would be the last thing some one would do, after going through 340 pages of posts here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The way I read the above comments, I believe the teamsters are merely expressing their concerns on the perils of speeding.
Exactly.
Old 10th March 2010, 16:38   #5085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Details_

Sad!...this is indeed a very fast and dangerous stretch on the old madras highway ...A fast driver would easily max out the speedo here .I remember having a close call in the zen when a bus suddenly darted out from behind another bus...I also remember a OHC which had just overtaken me being taken out by a bus ...4 gone ...on the spot .
Even though this is one fast road...this is one road where I am really scared of when driving.

BTW in this accident ,the bus looks on the correct side of the road.

Another of the many accidents on this road The Hindu : Front Page : 10 killed, 23 injured as KSRTC buses collide near Mulbagal

Most Viewed