Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2010, 16:49   #5086
Senior - BHPian

The i10 and the bus are on the correct side of the road. After the hit, i10 was thrown back to the footpath I believe. But on NH, it is common for all busses and trucks to suddenly come out from the behind for overtaking without seeing what is coming from the front and then don't even brake down or slow down but just continue their speed. I have tasted this treatment recently so I know.Sentil let your friend soul RIP.
Old 10th March 2010, 16:55   #5087
Senior - BHPian

Sentil, condolences. Looks like an overtaking manuever gone wrong for the i10 & it tried to get back in but it was too late. The Bus looks like it was well within the centre median

Last edited by suman : 10th March 2010 at 16:57.
Old 10th March 2010, 18:21   #5088
BHPian

[quote=diecast;1767402]Given below are some statistics from the website of The Department of Road Transport and Highway, Government of India:

Agreed these are just statistics. However can notice a few trends -

1. Observation - the number of accidents is increasing Year-on-Year (YoY)
2. Positive trend - The rate of increase in accidents is far lower than the rate of increase of registered vehicles.
3. Disturbing trend - Despite all improvements in road quality and advances in vehicle safety, the "kill ratio" is continously increasing. a simple ratio analysis indicates one fatality for every 4.7 accidents (i realise that a single accident can claim more than one life.. but the same ratio was almost 1 in 8 in 1970)

In my opinion, a lot of this could be attributed to poor quality of drivers who drive beyond their limits resulting in more fatal accidents.
Old 10th March 2010, 19:04   #5089
Senior - BHPian

Bad news, once again.

Dad gave his jazz for the 3rd service at 9,700 km (6 monthly) and went back home. While I was coming from Connought Place to go to prime Honda to make the payment (car delivered by service personnel at prime Honda later at home), I have to take a U-turn towards Mother dairy crossing to go to prime Honda and while I am signalling and also hand signalling, this school kid comes in a FZ-S and without looking here and there, bang!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02414.jpg

The Santro's rear quarter panel is hit by him. Since there is a police booth in front of it, I call 100 and describe the incident and just as I mentioned before, my mind was a ticking time bomb ready to explode anytime, and it happened. He is driving without a licence, must be 15-16 years old, was NOT wearing a helmet and wearing a school uniform at the time of accident, he starts crying and pleads not to call his parents.

I pressurise him and get his house number and when we call him, his mom is at the scene in 15 minutes and that too in an old ACCORD. Exchange of words, more people from prime honda are at the scene and the kid's bike is damaged from the front to the fairing and handlebar. I told her that all this happened and she behaves RUDELY with me and takes out her purse full of currency notes and asks me how much for damage.

I tell her, look, keep this money to yourself and better teach your kid that how illegal it is to ride a bike under the age of 18 and without the licence.
Heated words, again, by her, defending her kid and the police and prime staff are all by my side. The bike is impounded and while the lady argues with the police, I go there, make the payment and rush back home.

Dad did not say anything and told me that you did the right thing by refusing to take the money for the repair. Those are super rich people with spoilt brats, and they think that money can buy everything including the law. But I stood still and gave the boy a punishment he deserved.
the bike is currently in the police station. Let his parents deal with it in their manner.

Car will be sent to capital, Noida for repairs under insurance tomorrow.

IDIOTIC spoilt kids, and more importantly, even their spoilt parents who abide by them.
Old 10th March 2010, 19:07   #5090
Senior - BHPian

Tough Luck Sidindica,

You took the right stand and I hope you have further taken necessary steps to claim the damages from the Richie Rich family's insurance(FIR etc), otherwise the police will just take the money and let them off.

I assume it is their insurance you are referring to in the penultimate line of your post.

Last edited by khoj : 10th March 2010 at 19:10.
Old 10th March 2010, 19:18   #5091
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Bad news, once again.
That's sad, Sid, and plain bad luck.

A couple of trucks stopped on the NH58. Opponent not seen anywhere nearby.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-abcd0011k150.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-abcd0012k150.jpg
Old 10th March 2010, 19:21   #5092
Senior - BHPian

looks like these HCVs rear ended some other HCV which may not have been affected by the shunt .
Old 10th March 2010, 19:26   #5093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
But on NH, it is common for all busses and trucks to suddenly come out from the behind for overtaking without seeing what is coming from the front and then don't even brake down or slow down but just continue their speed. I have tasted this treatment recently so I know..
Even I have encountered this disturbing trend of reckless overtaking without seeing/caring for the vehicle in front.

You will find the vehicle (usually a truck or bus) (which is behind the approaching vehicle in front) suddenly coming in front and appearing to narrowly miss your vehicle. Its a hair rising and experience and very dangerous.

The only way I've found to counter this is to proactively keep flashing the headlights whenever you anticipate or feel that the vehicle behind the approaching vehicle is going to come in your way. This helps rather than taking a passive stance but still have to watch out.

By design, all bus and Truck driver seats should be very low just above the bumper at car level, then they will think twice before overtaking.
Old 10th March 2010, 19:33   #5094
Senior - BHPian

Saw a charred Tavera in front of ESI hospital (Rohini) in the morning.

Anyone got any news on the same?

@Sid

Sad stuff man! Kids driving rash and without a helmet are way too common in Delhi. I wish someone did something about it.
Old 10th March 2010, 19:43   #5095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Sad!...this is indeed a very fast and dangerous stretch on the old madras highway ...A fast driver would easily max out the speedo here .I remember having a close call in the zen when a bus suddenly darted out from behind another bus...I also remember a OHC which had just overtaken me being taken out by a bus ...4 gone ...on the spot .
Even though this is one fast road...this is one road where I am really scared of when driving.

BTW in this accident ,the bus looks on the correct side of the road.

Another of the many accidents on this road The Hindu : Front Page : 10 killed, 23 injured as KSRTC buses collide near Mulbagal
The bus could have been moved so as not to obstruct the traffic. So we never know. I still think the bus hit the car in an angle and basically shredded the car. All the pillars are gone. There were 2 other people in the car and maybe in the effort to rescue them, the car was wrecked even more! Made me drive with more circumspect this week on my trip to Chennai.
Old 10th March 2010, 20:08   #5096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tell her, look, keep this money to yourself and better teach your kid that how illegal it is to ride a bike under the age of 18 and without the licence.
But I stood still and gave the boy a punishment he deserved.
the bike is currently in the police station. Let his parents deal with it in their manner.
Fantastic Sid; this is the way to teach them; but you know what? those spoiled rich will try to buy the cops & again the cops are not Sid right?

The best joke here is the unnecessary headache to run to court to pay a fine of Rs 1000 or so while she could've bought the entire case with more than this money.

Anyway we shouldn't expect that spoilt brat will not touch his FZ again & only IF the next time he doesn't meet another Sid who will be happy to accept money, this will keep continuing.

But, whatever you did, I'm glad.
Old 10th March 2010, 20:15   #5097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bad news, once again.IDIOTIC spoilt kids, and more importantly, even their spoilt parents who abide by them.
Yes, blame their parents for that. Good that you did not take money, Did you file a complaint?
Old 10th March 2010, 20:17   #5098
BHPian

Three hundred forty pages and adding. What is being covered here maybe just the tip of the iceberg. It should ring alarm bells for all of us, if not the people really responsible.
Why is this happening ? Who is responsible ? what should be done ?
I guess our road infrastructure is certainly growing, but do we have the road manners. Smooth roads does tempt people to speed especially after leaving a bottleneck. At most places you may find certain road surfaces acting in a way of throwing things that ply on them.
The vehicles have got faster, but what about the tyres & the brakes. In a bid to cut costs car makers are offering thinner tyres. Powerful engines and thin tyres equation is simple. How many cars come with ABS as a standard option.
Finally its us who push both us and the machine to the max. One should appreciate the importance of safety and ofcourse life. if things cant be adopted they need to be enforced in the strictest ways.
So many lives lost something absolutely irreplaceable.
Driving discipline is what is necessary but it should strart from strengthening the RTO system. Many have received their licence by just making a simple signature.
Old 10th March 2010, 20:21   #5099
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Details_

This happened on Saturday morning on the way to Tirupathi somewhere near Chittoor. My friend from our apartment complex lost his life in this accident. I'm still trying to figure out how this accident could have caused the i10 to be so badly ripped apart.

According to the news that reached us, seems two buses were trying to overtake each other and one of them rammed into the car.

Warning: picture could be graphic in nature.
Really a tragic incident.Was thinking as to how these tiny and shiny cars get totally smashed upon impacts!
Thats the difference between a 8 ton and a 1 ton motor vehicle.
Old 10th March 2010, 22:11   #5100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Three hundred forty pages and adding. What is being covered here maybe just the tip of the iceberg. It should ring alarm bells for all of us, if not the people really responsible.
Why is this happening ? Who is responsible ? what should be done ?
We are making it happen. We are responsible. We should stop pointing fingers and improve ourselves, one driver at a time and others will follow.

Quote:
I guess our road infrastructure is certainly growing, but do we have the road manners. Smooth roads does tempt people to speed especially after leaving a bottleneck. At most places you may find certain road surfaces acting in a way of throwing things that ply on them.
The question should be, Do I have road manners? If all of us look inwards there will be episodes where we did not display manners whether it was on the highway or an intersection where the lights were not working or in the mall for the last visible parking slot. Manners just like charity begin at home. Let us start behaving and others will be shamed into following.
As for the bad roads, how many of us have actually taken the time out to write a letter to our local MLA/MLC/MP. I know I have not done so but I am going to start writing and urge that the rest of you do the same in your respective areas. This applies to all regardless of whether you are on the local areas voters list or not, nobody is going to take out the list and check but those letters reaching them day in and day out will hit a mark somewhere.

Quote:
The vehicles have got faster, but what about the tyres & the brakes. In a bid to cut costs car makers are offering thinner tyres. Powerful engines and thin tyres equation is simple. How many cars come with ABS as a standard option.
The guys approving the less than safe designs are also from amongst us they are not strangers or exempt from the perils of driving. But then how many of us have made a noise about lack of basic safety features in the basic models. OK will not make a difference immediately but trust me you walk out a showroom saying I will buy the other competing car as it has better safety features will be heard at the next sales meeting and an increasing cacophony will certainly make an impact. It takes only one of these car manufacturers to be the turncoat the rest follow like docile sheep. A consumer has a lot of Potential energy in his/her hands it takes only a few words to convert that to Kinetic energy and then its showtime. Make a noise flood the forums and the social blog sites and the Auto magazines in boxes it will have an impact for sure.

On the other hand how many of us actually spend on available safety features even if we can afford to. Answer truthfully and you will know the path ahead.

Quote:
Finally its us who push both us and the machine to the max. One should appreciate the importance of safety and ofcourse life. if things cant be adopted they need to be enforced in the strictest ways.
Great Idea, let us implement it in our own homes. let us refuse to start driving till both riders on a 2 wheeler are wearing helmets and all people in a four wheeler are buckled up.
I started doing this ages ago. irritated a lot of people including my parents, miscellaneous uncles and aunties and wives and children of some of my most dear friends including the friends but I persisted. Now a days either they refuse to ride with me or buckle up quietly rather than miss movies,flights(factual) arrive late at their destinations etc.etc. DO this and God knows how many lives you will save directly or indirectly

Quote:
So many lives lost something absolutely irreplaceable.
Driving discipline is what is necessary but it should strart from strengthening the RTO system. Many have received their licence by just making a simple signature.
True, I got my license at 16 as a wedding gift for me amongst others as the marriage was between the families of very high ranked bureaucrats. The wedding photographer delivered our snaps to the PS and we signed the D/Ls after they were put in our hands. One of my many social uncles who was a pretty high ranking official with the traffic police smiled when he saw the license at the end of its 5 year tenure as the inspector got it converted to a card one while I enjoyed keema roti from the dhaba next to the RTO.

Ten years later the uncle having retired, the local AA came in handy for replacement of the original license which was in tatters and while I was waiting with the Inspector they were conducting colour blindness tests for HCV drivers and guys who could not see the colour red between the myriad patterns were helped along. Not seeing Green is something the horns will make you aware of but not being able to see red and still driving along....

Another 10 and I hit 40 so went in again. Surprise surprise now they actually fail you for not being able to recognize road signs most of which I have not seen on our roads in the past 24(26) years of driving. The agents are more or less gone but I met someone who I know is a lawyer and he was running a shanty posing as a Doctor validating the medicals regarding eye sight, hearing etc etc. The guy is a within the same complex and told me he makes more from this trade than he was earlier making as a lawyer! He was very upset with me for having gone to a real doctor for my checkup.

I am not merely putting out stories here but just opening up the window to show you and remind myself of the scrap that lies accumulated inside us and the system of which we are but an integral part. However, let us make a start to clean up the mess one person at a time. Let us all do our bit and see the difference it will make in another 10 or maybe 20 but have faith in yourselves it will make a difference one day.

That snap of the i10 has had such an impact that I just could not stop myself from typing all of the above but I am glad I did as I believe I have my agenda for the next 10.
How about the rest of you?

Last edited by khoj : 10th March 2010 at 22:20.

Most Viewed