Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 22:47   #5296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Are you serious?

Speeding car at 140 need to be given way by all others because otherwise they will be killed? Maharaja on road?

What is speed limit on this road? 140 KMPH?
Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Probably you missed the eyewitness account by a school boy, who narrated entire episode in detail with vehicle nos, according to him BMW was speeding and had hit a bike first attempting an overtake and overturned and finally landed up on old man attending nature's call by roadside.When PCR came to the spot they rushed towards the occupants of mangled BMW who were still in better shape, leaving the poor old fellow who had severe leg injuries....
Now can you explain how the old chap was at fault( leave that natures call part) ?

I'm sorry.
I take my words back.
I do feel sorry for that old man.
May his soul RIP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Doubt: Do BMW's have a feature where the speedo needle reduces to half of the actual speed during a collision?

The damage seen on the BMW cannot be just because of hitting a human. It seems more like the damage was caused by trying not-to-hit and hitting a wall/divider/whatever!

OT: Why does the media always have to bring in 'BMW'? Why don't we see Hyundai, Maruti, Honda, Tata, etc in similar news! Bias?
I got carried away, but this is the point I was trying to make.
I have recently lost a friend who wanted to save someone, and lost his life himself, and still contemplations are on about whose fault it was.
Sadly, he was driving a Swift and it was not flashed in the papers.
Old 8th April 2010, 23:14   #5297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by preetam_KORG View Post
Sorry brother...no offence, but why is it that only the car driver is always to be blamed?
The car may have been doing only 40, and the old man might have come in between without seeing.
Even if the car was doing 140, the old man is at fault.
The old man should have judged that the car is coming pretty fast.
No offence to anyone, may his soul rest in peace!
Let the truth be told, then we can decide.
Till then, I'd stand my ground.
Since you have already admitted your mistake about the old man at being fault, I will leave it at that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
^Exactly. Its the same tendency that we see on the roads. The bigger vehicle is always at fault. Let's wait for details to emerge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post

+

Many people challenge the big vehicle by their behavior (not careless but intended)
Dudes, none of you saw the context in which statement was made. Nowhere was it about big/small vehicle in terms of size/brand

The intent/meaning of my post was - since Delhi has better road infra, people tend to overspeed the moment they get an empty stretch. Add to that a fat wallet and connections (no big deal in a city which is the seat of power, that every tom, dick and harry knows some or the other minister/MP/MLA/bureaucrat), you have a heady mix which often results in road rage and accidents.

Would request you folks not to jump the gun and join the bashing bandwagon without at least properly reading/understanding what others post.
Old 8th April 2010, 23:20   #5298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by preetam_KORG View Post
Sorry brother...no offence, but why is it that only the car driver is always to be blamed?
The car may have been doing only 40, and the old man might have come in between without seeing.
Even if the car was doing 140, the old man is at fault.
The old man should have judged that the car is coming pretty fast.
No offence to anyone, may his soul rest in peace!
Let the truth be told, then we can decide.
Till then, I'd stand my ground.
After hitting the poor old man, the car overturned, at 40kmph?? Or the driver couldn't stop it in time?? Get real dude. Show me one guy who drives a BMW and is sane enough to drive within the speed limits at early morning hours when the roads are clear.

It's not the BMW brand of automobiles that the media wants to highlight. It's the brand of the brash and reckless young kids of super-wealthy and influential parents.
Old 8th April 2010, 23:36   #5299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OT: Why does the media always have to bring in 'BMW'? Why don't we see Hyundai, Maruti, Honda, Tata, etc in similar news! Bias?
Rich guy returning home in imported luxury car after a night's partying, probably drunk, and hitting an early morning walker.

This would make sensational headline news. Would serve as a daily dose of cynicism for middle class.

Why BMW? Of the luxury brands, BMW and Merc are famous.
Old 9th April 2010, 00:04   #5300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rich guy returning home in imported luxury car after a night's partying, probably drunk, and hitting an early morning walker.
I would stick to 'Innocent until proven guilty' for the driver.
We are not witnesses to the incident and hence cannot pass a judgment!

Quote:
This would make sensational headline news. Would serve as a daily dose of cynicism for middle class.
Exactly. Our media needs a lot of maturity and try to report a BMW accident as yet another car accident!
Aren't we already aware of the unwritten rule that the bigger/costlier vehicle is always at fault?

P.S: We are going OT on this thread. I rest my case!
Old 9th April 2010, 09:23   #5301
Senior - BHPian

This morning paper carried this freak accident. A Scorpio, took a near-fatal de-tour to avoid traffic on the GST road and took to the arial route, through an unfinished flyover. The flyover apparently had no warn signs or barricades at the entry point. The Scorp was speeding and even people at the foot of the bridge shouted him not to go, but he seemed did not listen. Result? A near-fatal stunt jump. Right on the railway track. Luckily, no trains were passing and the car avoided the HT traction lines. It happened at 11:10 a.m.!
Take a look.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-car1.jpg  

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 9th April 2010 at 09:24.
Old 9th April 2010, 09:29   #5302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
A Scorpio, took a near-fatal de-tour to avoid traffic on the GST road and took to the arial route, through an unfinished flyover.
Boy, this comes straight out of a movie.

Quote:
The flyover apparently had no warn signs or barricades at the entry point.

Quote:
The Scorp was speeding and even people at the foot of the bridge shouted him not to go, but he seemed did not listen. Result? A near-fatal stunt jump. Right on the railway track. Luckily, no trains were passing and the car avoided the HT traction lines. It happened at 11:10 a.m.!
Take a look.
The guy is very lucky to survive that. I cannot imagine what he must have gone through after he had no tarmac under the tyres.
Old 9th April 2010, 09:56   #5303
BHPian

The ToI article is here.

Quote:
CHENNAI: A deadly combination of rash driving and official callousness caused one of the freakiest accidents in the city on Thursday, when a speeding SUV fell off an unfinished rail overbridge in suburban Pallavaram. There were apparently no signboards or barricades at the entrance of the flyover.

The car, which according to eyewitnesses was moving very fast, fell from a height of about 50 feet and landed on the railway track around 11.10am. The driver, who was the lone occupant of the car, was rescued from its mangled remains and admitted to a private hospital in Velachery with head injuries and fractures of the legs.

Passengers waiting at the Pallavaram station witnessed a scene right out of an action movie when the car literally flew off the edge of the flyover and crashed on the railway line. The car driver was later identified as Divakar (30), a resident of Vyasarpadi.

Railway police sources said Divakar was on his way to a private engineering college to pick up an application form for his sister. As GST Road was clogged with traffic, he took the flyover without realising that the structure meant to connect GST Road with Old Pallavaram was incomplete.

Onlookers said some of them at the foot of the bridge had shouted at the driver not to proceed, but Divakar did not hear them as the SUV’s windows were rolled up. Witnesses said the driver could have tried to apply brakes when he realised that there was no road ahead, but it was too late. Fortunately, the vehicle did not get entangled in the high tension power-line over the railway track. Luckily, there was no train passing by.

An official of the state highways department, which is constructing the flyover, admitted on condition of anonymity that not erecting barricades and signboards at the project site was the department’s fault.

A railway police official said the railway track was not damaged. “We used a crane to remove the vehicle from the spot. EMU operations between Tambaram and Chennai Beach were disrupted for more than an hour. A case has been booked against the driver for rash and negligent driving,” he said.
My thoughts:
1. Even if people shouted at the driver to stop, he would not have heard because his windows were rolled up. And everybody would roll up their windows and keep the A/C running in the Chennai heat.
2. I don't know why the paper always has to say "speeding" and "rash driving". We don't know what speed the Scorpio was driving at, and this could have happened even if he was driving within the speed limit and saw the road ending ahead of him too late.
3. The case has been book against the driver? Unbelievable! The case should have been booked against the officials who did not leave a barricade or warning signs.
Old 9th April 2010, 09:58   #5304
BHPian

How fast was he going to have not noticed that there was no road up ahead ?

Last edited by toiingg : 9th April 2010 at 10:00.
Old 9th April 2010, 10:10   #5305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would stick to 'Innocent until proven guilty' for the driver.
We are not witnesses to the incident and hence cannot pass a judgment!
Sir, I was not speaking of this incident. In general, media highlights because of those reasons. Hope you got the message.
Old 9th April 2010, 10:22   #5306
BHPian

Quote:

Why BMW? Of the luxury brands, BMW and Merc are famous.
This delhi BMW accident took place when the beemer guy was trying to overtake a bike, after he overtook, the car hit the pavement and overturned and then hit the old guy and finally eneded up hitting a wall, the old guy was stuck in between, and the guys were going to a railway station to pick some relative.

Poor guy died unnecessarily, may his soul RIP.

Source: HT
Old 9th April 2010, 10:32   #5307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
How fast was he going to have not noticed that there was no road up ahead ?
On a slight elevation which is turning flat ahead there is limited view of the road. So if there is no road ahead it seems there is a flat surface ahead which might have fooled the driver.

But what beats me the most is that when people are not using the deserted flyover and struggling through traffic on normal roads, then I would ask myself why is the flyover empty. And chalo I would atleast be careful. I'm sure the guy must have smiled at the fools not using the flyover and opting for the choked roads below.
Old 9th April 2010, 10:54   #5308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
This delhi BMW accident took place when the beemer guy was trying to overtake a bike, after he overtook, the car hit the pavement and overturned and then hit the old guy and finally eneded up hitting a wall, the old guy was stuck in between, and the guys were going to a railway station to pick some relative.

Poor guy died unnecessarily, may his soul RIP.

Source: HT
Exactly, all the area near the Akshardham is under WIP because the Commonwealth Games (in fact, beautification of most parts of Delhi is going on for the same). The contractual labour who work on repair of roads/ pavements leave empty drums, concreate boulders, etc on the road, which cause many accidents. This time the BMW 5 series that was being rashly driven hit similar boulder & overturned.

BMW driver was not drunk, but in hurry to pick relative from Ghaziabad Railway station, after driving halfway to New Delhi Railway station from his home in East Delhi. Rash driving lead to the accident.

But, it was the callousness of the police to cause death of the old man. It seems that police-wallahs were more interested in minting money from rich family than saving the middle class old man.

Delhi needs better Police Men/Women not only for CWG, but generally.

BTW, no roads or any public places are meant for defecating or urinating. If the old man could has held is (nature) urges & walk 5-10 to his home he would have been alive.

Biggest issue if one man kills (knowingly or otherwise) another man does it gives all others to hold the traffic & cause inconvenience to general public (this has become the habit of people these days), which could have consisted of few ill needing immediate medical attention or other rushing to finish some important job.
Old 9th April 2010, 11:03   #5309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob View Post
My thoughts:
1. Even if people shouted at the driver to stop, he would not have heard because his windows were rolled up. And everybody would roll up their windows and keep the A/C running in the Chennai heat.
But even if he had windows rolled up and music on, when entering a deserted bridge, he should have watched around and if he had the habit of watching RVMs and ORVM,s he would have seen people waving behind him not to proceed. Secondly, when approaching a flyover, and with limited visibility ahead, one is supposed to slow down.
The way his car has been thrown off the bridge, flying in the air for about 50 meters before landing, it looks he was speeding and didn't have time at all to brake. He would have been in the air before even he realized he was. If he had been less than 30 kmph speed and applied brakes, he could have stopped, or the worst case, he would have just spilled over the bridge, head-down.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 9th April 2010 at 11:05.
Old 9th April 2010, 11:10   #5310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
If he had been less than 30 kmph speed and applied brakes, he could have stopped, or the worst case, he would have just spilled over the bridge, head-down.
Yeah, that would have been more fatal. Dropping nose down would have meant curtains for the driver. Good for him he did not brake.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks