Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2010, 23:00   #5416
Senior - BHPian

Modern cars are made to take the impact on the body and dissipate it. So you would see the bumpers flying off, the panels getting crumpled etc. These are far better than the car just transferring all that energy into the passenger bay.

The F1 car is the ultimate when it comes to this. They will go head on into a barrier, the car will go into pieces but the driver literally walks out unscathed.
Old 18th April 2010, 23:25   #5417
Senior - BHPian

Just saw an accident at the beginning of the Mayapuri flyover on the inner ring road in Delhi.
An Indica had rammed right into the divider wall. The wall had cut through the engine compartment. Could not see anyone injured. The driver seat belt was stuck in an extended form, so I am guessing it was employed.

Reason for the accident according to me:
A lot of people in Delhi enjoy cutting inwards diversions right at their mouth. In this case, coming down the really long Naraina flyover at a reasonable speed, the person might not have seen the dividing wall of the connected Mayapuri flyover. Looked a like a decently high speed crash.

Sincere request to people: Please don't cut lanes at high speeds. It does not show that you are a great driver. Your fate at the point in time depends on the people you are cutting around. One unexpected move and you could be dead meat.
Old 19th April 2010, 10:25   #5418
BHPian

In a terrible accident in South Delhi, four people travelling in a car were pierced with iron rods after they tried to overtake a truck carrying the rods.

Delhi: Iron rods pierce four inside car
Old 19th April 2010, 11:16   #5419
Senior - BHPian

And I hope the police don't book the car driver for negiligent and rash driving (as done in Chennai Scorpio jumping over the bridge) and let the truck driver go scot-free.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 19th April 2010 at 11:17.
Old 19th April 2010, 11:43   #5420
BHPian

Mangled Vista

Saw a mangled vista at the Prerana Motors yard in peenya. I guess the car had rolled over pretty bad. The service guy quoted that the car was just 4 months old and would be scrapped now. Not sure how the wheels were lost.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0080.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0081.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0082.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0083.jpg  

Old 19th April 2010, 11:48   #5421
Distinguished - BHPian

The Vista has really taken a nasty hit and roll over. Definitely a write off. What about the occupants in the car, any news on that?
Old 19th April 2010, 11:49   #5422
Senior - BHPian

Sad! Any news on the occupants ? Why scrapped ? The bay area 'appears' intact. If I were the owner I would hand it over to Shivajinagar Gujri guys for some price and some for the 'Give away to T-Bhp' thread.
Old 19th April 2010, 12:07   #5423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
May be difficult to break for milkman with load of milk tanks.

Really rammed hard. Looks like rider was on 80+ speed and accent applied brake at once (what ever may the reason). But Twowheel rider should understand that fourwheeler have better breaking efficiancy and it may be dangerous for them.

I agree, i was in a similar situation on Saturday on my way to the service station (Prerana Motors). I turned into a two lane road without dividers, and was driving close to the center, there was a car ahead who had to take a right and had braked, another car braked behind it and so did i (though i had to go straight) and it was a casual smooth braking and i was doing a meager 40 KPHM. My usual instinct is to look at the rear view mirror when i break and to my horror, i noticed a two wheeler guy revving towards my car at close to 70 KMPH. He spotted the stopped cars, mine being right in front of him and tried panic braking, his front tyre skidded, i noticed the bike going down and before i could do react, i heard the bike crash into my rear.

By then the cars ahead of me had moved and i started to move my car to the left lane to stop and check. I could hear something badly rubbing against the tyre and for a while thought my car was pulling the bike along with it. When i got down, i noticed that the plastic cover behind the wheel (which prevents mud from getting into the bumper was bent and was scrapping the wheel). I went to the self appreciated super hero biker and he had bruises all over his face and hands. This super hero had his helmet hung from his arm while he was riding . Worst thing, he happened to be my junior at school . People around gave him some water and after a while, the guy left. I was really sad since my new Vista (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-aura-abs.html) was damaged yet again. But when i got down at the service station, i noticed that the bumper had not cracked or deformed. The sheet metal behind the bumper had taken the impact and was bent, i got the mechanic to put it back to shape and the rubber marks from the tyre of the bikes (which usually look like serious scratches) were removed with the help of some thinner. There was just one small scratch left and one can hardly notice it. I was happy that the damage was not as bad as i thought it to be.
Old 19th April 2010, 12:10   #5424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The Vista has really taken a nasty hit and roll over. Definitely a write off. What about the occupants in the car, any news on that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Sad! Any news on the occupants ? Why scrapped ? The bay area 'appears' intact. If I were the owner I would hand it over to Shivajinagar Gujri guys for some price and some for the 'Give away to T-Bhp' thread.
Not sure about the occupants, but i heard the owner had contacted the body shop guy for insurance formalities, looks like no fatalities.

The body shop guy told me that the owner would get whole of the ex showroom price since the vehicle was just 4 months old. I think its not a bad deal.
Old 19th April 2010, 12:15   #5425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Modern cars are made to take the impact on the body and dissipate it. So you would see the bumpers flying off, the panels getting crumpled etc. These are far better than the car just transferring all that energy into the passenger bay.

The F1 car is the ultimate when it comes to this. They will go head on into a barrier, the car will go into pieces but the driver literally walks out unscathed.
Its not just about the crumple zones but the threshold at which they come into play. If my car crumples by getting hit or hitting a cycle, there sure is some serious problem.

Although it still hard to believe that Accent got by a bike and if it did, I am sure it must be travelling at a fair pace to induce this amount of damage.
Old 19th April 2010, 12:32   #5426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If my car crumples by getting hit or hitting a cycle, there sure is some serious problem.
Don't be too surprised if a new car looks damaged even if it is just a minor hit. It's also called pedestrian safety. The car's exterior is designed to absorb impacts and even minor hits can result in quite visibile body damage. I've posted about the same thing just few posts ago.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 19th April 2010 at 12:33.
Old 19th April 2010, 12:33   #5427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
+1. If you are sure, then the bikes might be a Bullet for sure. Looking at the damage of the car, the bikes would have surely been scraped.
our Getz was rammed by a Bullet travelling at about 50-60kmph. didn't even get a scratch on the bumper! find it hard to believe that damage to the ANHC and Accent was caused by 2-wheeler.

the Accent looks like it hit the divider in reverse!
Old 19th April 2010, 12:50   #5428
Senior - BHPian

While on tour to Kalpa / Chitkul last August saw this turtle on the road.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc09168.jpg

For the life of me I could not find out how this happened, I think the turtle was a Sumo, not sure. A local standing on the road-side said nothing serious happened, could not stop for long as there was traffic behind me and they were honking mad.

---------

Last edited by ramkya1 : 19th April 2010 at 12:51.
Old 19th April 2010, 13:06   #5429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
While on tour to Kalpa / Chitkul last August saw this turtle on the road.
Attachment 332835

For the life of me I could not find out how this happened, I think the turtle was a Sumo, not sure. A local standing on the road-side said nothing serious happened, could not stop for long as there was traffic behind me and they were honking mad.

---------

Looks like a alloyed Bolero , not sure though.
Old 19th April 2010, 13:20   #5430
Senior - BHPian

I think thats a Bolero.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks