Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2010, 14:52   #5536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
Its not about being Menaka Gandhi. Its about being human, considerate and sensitive.
It is an imbibed and understood nature. Some people fail to realize this.

How do you know if he did or did not ? Should he have diverted his path and jumped lanes (and caused mayhem in the next lane) ? His target was to not hit that creature with his vehicle and he successfully did that.

Still the driver/s fault.
You (the drivers) have to be even more careful if they are travelling with kids or aged people. Tailgating at high speed and not being able to control your vehicle is not an excuse.

Simply try to do what you see, and what you can. Take your point - be practical.
That is what I am emphasising.

No. Basics of driving.
Anything ahead of you - it is your responsibility to control.

Anything behind you out of your control - thats where you bring in the element of destiny.

Glad to know. Good practice. Lets just hope we have more people on the road follow suit.
Thank you. At least we agreed in the end.
Old 29th April 2010, 14:56   #5537
BHPian

Not very sure Amit about higher powers. But for sure fatigue is one of the reasons. It happens that to pray for half a minute, people travel 12 or more hours and would like to start back immediately!! So the rest time for the driver will be very less in those pilgrimages. Some time people try to club many more gods in one go, so imagine the amount of stress and fatigue the driver would go through. Probably the message from higher power is to come to him leisurely and spend enough time for such visits? Hmm .... only if God could answer our questions directly!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Given the number of accidents that occur to people going to or returning from a pilgrimage, you'd think there is a message there somewhere that the higher powers are trying to tell us.
Old 29th April 2010, 18:09   #5538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold class View Post
YET ANOTHER VOLVO ACCIDENT
The Kallada group multi-axle volvo operating in Bangalore - Alleppy route(red colour B9R) rammed in to a tipper lorry yesterday night near Krishnagiri.Casulaties are not known. The bus had a heavy damage on left side as told to me by a driver of another bus.
Yet another accident involving Kallada Travels? Not surprising. The speeds at which they drive are scary, especially at night.
Old 30th April 2010, 05:15   #5539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Interesting. Let's imagine a situation where you are driving in a car, your wife beside you and your kids in the backseat. You stop at a red signal, a lot of other vehicles pull up around / behind you. The signal turns green, everyone accelerates and within seconds the vehicles reach 60+kmph. There's a curve and as you enter the curve you see a stray dog standing in the path of your vehicle. You start honking, hoping to catch its attention and warn it off the road. It seems to be deaf. A Sumo has caught up with you and is running parellel to you on the right, a bus running on the left and a BMC dumper insanely honking and flashing right behind you. Would you have the nerve to slam on your brakes and be rammed from behind by the BMC dumper? Would you swerve to the right and hit the Sumo? Or would you swerve left and be rammed against the bus?

I wish it never happens to you or your near and dear ones. But if I were you, I would sacrifice the stray dog instead of my family.

I appreciate your concerns over animal safety, but personally I would prefer to save humans in my car than stray dogs on the road who are idiot enough to not get out of the way.
Your solution seems like that of any other narrow-minded person. Think about it; it's not the dogs fault its on the road in busy traffic, it's the authorities who have failed to take it from the streets and put it in a safer environment. Succumbing to pressure from rash drivers (I mean all the time) is what keeps those nincompoops' egos fed.

If you've seen the dog from a distance and brake smoothly, I'll bet you the BMC dumper will brake too. Don't let it's dumb-driver-honking-like-crazy dent your personal morals and humanity.
Old 30th April 2010, 05:22   #5540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
So what creature should you eventually stop for if not a snake ?
A small kitten ? A puppy ? A dog ? A horse ? Humans ?
Beg hopefully - for elephants ?

Why do we always take the existance of all creatures apart from humans 'for granted' ? We take over their land and then run over them for coming into our way?

The first car was dead right to 'stop'.

The idiots behind should know what speed to do and how to control their vehicles.

What if it was a kid instead of that reptile ?
You're right because one day it will be a human in your way. I bet you you'll stop then. We don't own other's lives, be it human or animal. Respect it.
Old 30th April 2010, 08:57   #5541
Senior - BHPian

9 people killed when a scorpio hit a stationary truck near Thanjavur. The group from Kerala was on a pilgrimage to Velankanni.Initial report suggests the driver sleeping behind the wheel.
Manorama Online Malayalam News=@@@

Last edited by poloman : 30th April 2010 at 09:01.
Old 30th April 2010, 10:08   #5542
Senior - BHPian

Yet another accident in front of Command Hospital, HAL Airport Road, Bangalore. A chain of rear endings.

Indicab in front hard braked. A Zen rear ended the Indicab; zen has a bend bonnet; fluid leakage seen in near engine bay area. Logan behind the Zen hard braked and avoided rear ending the Zen. But Logan got rear ended by a Zen Estilo, which in turn got rear ended by a Santro. Five vehicles involved.

This place comes immediately comes after a signal. Those waiting for the signal start accelerating. There is a bus stop ahead. To overtake the stopped buses, vehicles cut across from left lane into right lane, forcing the right lane vehicles to hard brake.

I will not be surprised if a speed breaker is constructed here.
Old 30th April 2010, 10:19   #5543
Senior - BHPian

[quote=I doubt if the car was tailgating the lorry at 100. The Innova definitely has better braking than the lorry and would have been able to stop, if not before, at least with minimal damage (notice the drive side is not damaged completely). This is unless, the driver wasn't paying attention and panicked at that moment.

Regardless, unfortunate loss of life! RIP![/quote]

That is a rented innova , a private taxi with out driver , because of bharath Bandh , few friends(all are in to gold business) decided to rock at Bangalore. They spend a day and was returning from bangalore , it was then the fatal crash happened.

The driver had minor injuries he weared seat belt and the air bag worked for him , the rest 4 passed away.
Old 30th April 2010, 10:19   #5544
J.Ravi

Today's The New Indian Express reported that 8 members of a family travelling in their Scorpio from Ernakulam to Vailankanni were killed and five others injured when it rammed against a stationary truck. May the souls of the deceased rest in peace.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accd.jpg  

Old 30th April 2010, 10:25   #5545
Senior - BHPian

So many accidents using SUV/MUV's means only one thing. People are not giving importance to the driver's fitness. Either the driver is drunk or fighting fatigue which is a perfect recipe for disaster. It won't happen to us attitude.
Old 30th April 2010, 10:33   #5546
Senior - BHPian

Early mornings are extremely dangerous if one has been driving throughout the night. This Scorpio accident looks like such a case. Every chance that the driver dozed off for a moment, to hit the stationary truck.
Old 30th April 2010, 10:47   #5547
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Today's The New Indian Express reported that 8 members of a family travelling in their Scorpio from Ernakulam to Vailankanni were killed and five others injured when it rammed against a stationary truck. May the souls of the deceased rest in peace.
Another report in today's Dinamalar says that the driver had stopped the truck carrying granite coarse aggregate to attend the Nature's call, when the tragedy struck the victims in the form of an accident.

Four members of another family were killed in yet another road accident in Dindigul district, Tamil Nadu, as per this report in today's The New Indian Express.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fourkilled.jpg  

Last edited by J.Ravi : 30th April 2010 at 10:55.

Old 30th April 2010, 11:01   #5548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
All I wanted to say was that the 1st car driver was a bad driver as he could have not only avoided the snake but also the accident.
I am no animal lover but even I will try to save the animal. How am I responsible for the moron who's rear-ends into me?

In this case the guy behind has to be speeding and tail-gating for the Innova to reach such a state. So he was the moron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I appreciate your concerns over animal safety, but personally I would prefer to save humans in my car than stray dogs on the road who are idiot enough to not get out of the way.
Actually I feel that more humans than dogs tend to do this. I cannot count the number of instances I have seen people walking close to the median/divider (not on it but just next to it), sometimes talking on the cellphones while doing that.

Coming to you point, what if it's an elephant on the road? Or a stupid moron talking on the cellphone and deciding to cross the road without looking? I guess you will try your best to save yourself and the elephant/person.
Old 30th April 2010, 14:57   #5549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
13 in a scorpio ...even if there were couple of infants..11 is also too much. Have read lots of accidents by the way of ramming into stationery vehicles at early mornings.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-lat_accident_112562f.jpg  

Old 30th April 2010, 15:50   #5550
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Given the number of accidents that occur to people going to or returning from a pilgrimage, you'd think there is a message there somewhere that the higher powers are trying to tell us.
+1. There certainly is a message, I hear it loud and clear. I havent been on a pilgrimage ever.

Most Viewed