Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2010, 00:24   #5566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
I immediately reversed the car about 200 meters
This Octavia met its fate because of its driver's or someone else's fault. But why on earth did you endanger your life and that of other road users by driving in reverse for ~200 meters on the expressway?
And if that wasn't sufficient, from the pics, I am assuming blue getz to be yours - and if indeed it is yours, there is another mistake you did - blocked the left-most lane of e-way..
Please don't mistake me, I understand and appreciate your intentions, it's your actions which, god forbid, could have been fatal. Thankfully, no harm done!
Old 2nd May 2010, 08:40   #5567
Senior - BHPian

Shot quite some time back by my friend. A Swift VDi.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-a10.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-a11.jpeg  

Old 2nd May 2010, 09:24   #5568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Oh no!! What happened to that car? It is as if 'it is there but not there at all'.
I very much doubt any of the occupants would have escaped unless the damages got amplified during the clearing process.
Old 2nd May 2010, 09:30   #5569
BHPian

Quote:
More details please... Look at the back side of the Car ... Probably it was hit by a Truck at very high speed...
Old 2nd May 2010, 10:03   #5570
BHPian

Oh god,It looks like it got squashed between two heavy vehicles,with the one on the back being faster.Its reduced to like half its length.
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:04   #5571
Distinguished - BHPian

A horrible reminder of just how frail these little boxes that we drive really are.
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:48   #5572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
This Octavia met its fate because of its driver's or someone else's fault. But why on earth did you endanger your life and that of other road users by driving in reverse for ~200 meters on the expressway?
And if that wasn't sufficient, from the pics, I am assuming blue getz to be yours - and if indeed it is yours, there is another mistake you did - blocked the left-most lane of e-way..
Please don't mistake me, I understand and appreciate your intentions, it's your actions which, god forbid, could have been fatal. Thankfully, no harm done!
Buddy I reversed in the extreme left lane; and did it very carefully. There are no divider-gaps on the express-way so I had no other choice.

And you are right, this is my Getz. I parked it on the left-most lane, after turning on the hazard lights. And in line with the Octavia, so there was no real danger to me or anybody else.

Anyways, thanks for your concern.

Nitin
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:59   #5573
BHPian

If there were passengers at the back, none of them must've escaped this alive I fathom.
Very sad sight this one.

Off Topic: Pic#2 reminds one of the Enzo Ferrari crash photos.
Old 2nd May 2010, 13:42   #5574
BHPian

Quote:
oh god! crashes like these remind us of how very vulnerable we are on the road. just looking at the pictures gives me goosebumps, the car is completely jacked from both the sides
Old 2nd May 2010, 13:54   #5575
BHPian

Quote:
One need to accept that the fact that suzuki vehicles are not as strong as the toyota hilux truck. I feel the driver would have survived, even the best built car would have crumbled under such impact.

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 2nd May 2010 at 13:55.
Old 2nd May 2010, 13:54   #5576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like the Swift got hit from behind and the impact made it to hit another vehicle on the front left side. Both the other vehicles seem to taller (lorries?). Swift driver might have survived. Don't think any safety device could have saved the occupants.

Horrible sight. It sent shivers down the spine.
Old 2nd May 2010, 13:54   #5577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Interesting. Let's imagine a situation where you are driving in a car, your wife beside you and your kids in the backseat. You stop at a red signal, a lot of other vehicles pull up around / behind you. The signal turns green, everyone accelerates and within seconds the vehicles reach 60+kmph. There's a curve and as you enter the curve you see a stray dog standing in the path of your vehicle. You start honking, hoping to catch its attention and warn it off the road. It seems to be deaf. A Sumo has caught up with you and is running parellel to you on the right, a bus running on the left and a BMC dumper insanely honking and flashing right behind you. Would you have the nerve to slam on your brakes and be rammed from behind by the BMC dumper? Would you swerve to the right and hit the Sumo? Or would you swerve left and be rammed against the bus?

I wish it never happens to you or your near and dear ones. But if I were you, I would sacrifice the stray dog instead of my family.

I appreciate your concerns over animal safety, but personally I would prefer to save humans in my car than stray dogs on the road who are idiot enough to not get out of the way.

You are still justifying the drivers in the tailgating vehicles, in my experience I've seen in US and UK, people leave a reasonable gap between the vehicles, this GAP will increase if the speed increase. This gives the driver following another vehicle just enough time to take the crucial decision. What I have seen in India, mostly in the new roads are people tailgating (some time I saw the gap is less than a meter) blindly even at vary high speeds.
I can't agree with your/few other bhpians arguments that the first driver is the culprit. my personal view is the drivers who tailgating are responsible.
again it is my OWN view..
Old 2nd May 2010, 13:55   #5578
Senior - BHPian

Found this on NDTV:

Four killed in car crash near south Delhi mall
Old 2nd May 2010, 16:05   #5579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post
in my experience I've seen in US and UK, people leave a reasonable gap between the vehicles, this GAP will increase if the speed increase. This gives the driver following another vehicle just enough time to take the crucial decision.
yes, IMO as a rule of the thumb, one should leave a 5sec gap from the vehicle in front - this give enough time to react. one should always be able to see the rear tires of the vehicle in front. unfortunately in India, we like travelling bumper-to-bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Holy Mother of God! that Accent is scrap metal! when will people learn! reminds me of the old CEAT ad - SPEED THRILS, BUT KILLS!

Last edited by IronH4WK : 2nd May 2010 at 16:10.
Old 2nd May 2010, 18:59   #5580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
This is what happened right in front of my house the day before yesterday.
I saw the tree yesterday and was wondering what happened? I was planning to call you up and enquire. Stupid Moron Driver, as if tree-cutting isn't enough...

Good thing you took your car off from there earlier... so many cars parked on the roads everywhere there!!!

Most Viewed