Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2010, 19:07   #5656
Senior - BHPian

A crashed tata safari GX BS 4 just a week old.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02912.jpg  

Old 6th May 2010, 21:18   #5657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
I feel you should have been a little more conservative with the words. This sounds really harsh.
May he rest in peace.

Although it is a rather bitter truth, a lot of the bikers on the road... especially the R15 and ZMA/ZMR crowd seems to be over their heads into rash driving. I sincerely hope something could really be done to change things and educate people about road safety.

After starting of on bikes, graduating to cars and now back to bikes; I have actually realised that 2-wheelers are a 2-wheeler's worst enemy.
agreed that my words would pinch many but its the fact.
People every day are spending literally spending millions or Rupees on Bikes that give you much more Ps/Ton than any thing close to 10 times the amount paid for it.
But they never learn to respect the machine and its capabilities(speaking in General Here and not pointing fingers at any one so keboard junkies can refrain here).
No matter what people say Indian Roads(no matter how good the quality of the road is) is not suitable for performance bikes.

One guy cutting across a lane suddenly is enough to spin a Biker driving at 180 out of control.

In one way he was rather responsible, He used to always wear High Grade protective equipment when driving.
once again RIP sandy.

@Phamilyman
That is what you call an Opinion ,its a free world and everyone has the freedom to express his views and concerns. Not every one will agree, some may find it stupid,rationalist etc.
regarding the electric bikes issue, although they were a mess "on road" its any day better than lying "across the road" without a pulse , wont you agree?

Last edited by vinaydas : 6th May 2010 at 21:26.
Old 6th May 2010, 21:59   #5658
Senior - BHPian

Yeah - its a lopsided opinion - not a fair one. And that's that.

Since you didn't get the issue with the electric bikes - let me repeat - riding at 30kph is NOT enough to ensure safety if they don't obey lane discipline and cut lanes at will into high speed traffic. So what you just said is not relevant.

And like SUV said - they were a pain for other bikers as well!
Old 6th May 2010, 22:20   #5659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Yeah - its a lopsided opinion - not a fair one. And that's that.

Since you didn't get the issue with the electric bikes - let me repeat - riding at 30kph is NOT enough to ensure safety if they don't obey lane discipline and cut lanes at will into high speed traffic. So what you just said is not relevant.

And like SUV said - they were a pain for other bikers as well!
Let me Tell you one thing buddy, Lane discipline is not the only solution to the problem.
People Following Proper lane Disciple do get into major accidents at times. Imagine a guy driving in his lane continuously and goes to a sudden halt to ask directions(yes i have seen this on the very very Busy and Dangerous underpass/ Road) you get tailed.
My post is actually a rather efficient solution.
Firstly i never said limit the speed's of bikes to 30, but instead 60(which i also feel is rather unsafe for 2 wheelers) which basically is the speed limit of two wheelers in almost all cities in India.

Secondly you mistook my two consecutive posts. They are totally Independent,i did not see the matter regarding the super bike accident(later while browsing through older pages i found out about it)

Thirdly i feel you are a bit upset because you probably also sometimes use two wheelers to commute and you probably feel im biased against it. well Like most Indians i do some times in a month use a Two wheeler to commute and I know how unsafe they are.

The Term that i would use time and time again to significantly reduce accidents is "Mass Education",teaching people how to drive from scratch by say,a authorized private institution and not some corrupt government division.
This tackles the problem at the core level.
Old 6th May 2010, 22:52   #5660
Senior - BHPian

The city below hit a stone left on the road by a truck at high speeds and rolled over multiple times.
All the occupants survived with minor scratches and the front airbags did not deploy as there was no direct impact from the front!
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_2490.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_2491.jpg
Old 6th May 2010, 22:57   #5661
Senior - BHPian

OMG! On seeing the car, hard to believe that all occupants escaped unhurt! The roof has caved in dangerously.
Old 7th May 2010, 00:03   #5662
BANNED

One thing we need to see is the car flipped over and the roof could not handle the weight which needs to be taken in to consideration while designing ABC pillars.Though the passengers are lucky .
Old 7th May 2010, 01:08   #5663
BHPian

That ANHC is gone for good. The occupants were plain lucky. Strangely both the headlamps remain intact.

Sidindica, any idea how that happened to the Safari?
Old 7th May 2010, 12:58   #5664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
The city below hit a stone left on the road by a truck at high speeds and rolled over multiple times.
All the occupants survived with minor scratches and the front airbags did not deploy as there was no direct impact from the front!
What happens to the side/curtain air-bags in such instances? Will they deploy? Probably that would have minimized the injuries? I am just trying to understand if the air-bags can deploy independently or it is all the air-bags or none?
Old 7th May 2010, 15:23   #5665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highsteem View Post
What happens to the side/curtain air-bags in such instances? Will they deploy? Probably that would have minimized the injuries? I am just trying to understand if the air-bags can deploy independently or it is all the air-bags or none?
City doesnt have side or curtain airbags.

But other than front impact detection, computer should also analyze if the car has rolled or toppled.
Old 7th May 2010, 22:40   #5666
J.Ravi

Five killed in a road accident near Coimbatore

According to today's Tamil Murasu, five members of a family were killed in a road accident at Madhukkarai, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, on NH 47 this early morning at 1:30 am when it was raining heavily. They were returning in 3 cars to their native Tripunithura, Kerala, after their pilgrimage at Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh. This horrific accident occured when one of the three cars, following the other two cars going ahead, collided with a truck coming in the opposite direction, when it tried to overtake a bus. One of the deceased, Nishanth, who drove the car, was working in an IT firm at Coimbatore, it is reported. May the souls of the deceased rest in peace.

Last edited by Eddy : 7th May 2010 at 23:27. Reason: Removing one pic. It might be too graphical for some readers.

Old 7th May 2010, 22:55   #5667
Senior - BHPian

OMG. This place is so near to my Under Graduate college! People tend to speed up in this area as the roads are relatively deserted and good.

May the deceased souls RIP :(

Car seems to be a top of the line i10!

And yeah! Another pilgrimage accident.
Old 7th May 2010, 23:10   #5668
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
One thing we need to see is the car flipped over and the roof could not handle the weight which needs to be taken in to consideration while designing ABC pillars.Though the passengers are lucky .

What is most disturbing is that the stupid uneducated foolish (I'm lost for adjectives and superlatives) truck drivers on our highways leave huge stones on the roads both under their wheels and around their trucks when they break down. I personally have had my alto tyre burst and rim dent, as well as my gearbox develop a crack after I hit those on 2 different occasions.
Old 7th May 2010, 23:21   #5669
Senior - BHPian

Come to think of it, the car that met with the mishap was the third in the convoy which would have been overtaking the bus blindly following the two cars in front. This is a practice quite common in Kerala roads where 99% are two lane ones. The occupants are from Kerala and perhaps this would be the reason for the head on collission.

Never overtake in similar manner because you become a sitting duck against oncoming traffic.

My heartfelt condolences to the bereaved families.

Last edited by rajeev k : 7th May 2010 at 23:30. Reason: grammer
Old 7th May 2010, 23:27   #5670
Senior - BHPian

I also notice that the airbag has inflated and then punctured in the impact! (Driver side)

Most Viewed