Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 23:40   #5716
BHPian

Spotted this on Bannerghatta Rd.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-cimg5062.jpg
The bike apparently went under the tanker.
There was too much traffic and a huge crowd, so I could n't make out if anyone was injured.
Old 10th May 2010, 23:55   #5717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Not really possible. There has been incidences when the court ruled that "the bigger vehicle being more powerful had more chances of causing more damage - the driver of the bigger vehicle could have braked in time to save the smaller vehicle". That is, if you are driving a bigger vehicle, and a 'smaller' vehicle decides to jump on to the wrong side and hits you, the court would still say you are faulty - because, why did you not brake in time?
I doubt if you can produce corroborating evidence and make a good case, any court would simply go by "the bigger vehicle is responsible" approach. Even if a lower court ruled against the truck driver, you could always appeal to the high court. The MV Act nowhere states a bigger vehicle must be more careful than a smaller vehicle, or in case of a likely accident, it's the bigger vehicle's duty to take evasive measures. I personally believe it's only cases where no evidence is available to suggest the contrary, the judgets would hold the driver of a bigger vehicle guilty. Indeed there are so many incidences where bigger vehicles are guity, due to faulty brakes or unserviced/unrepaired parts (axle breaking, wheel coming off etc).

Maybe we should have some detailed info on how to gather evidence in case of an accident.
Old 11th May 2010, 09:27   #5718
J.Ravi

Seven people were killed in two separate road accidents in Tamil Nadu as reported in today's The Hindu. The vehicle Toyota Qualis is reduced to a pulp, as could be seen in the photograph.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-hindu.jpg
The driver and the cleaner of a truck were killed near Tumkur, Karnataka, on NH 4 in yet another road accident, according to today's The Hindu.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-tumkur.jpg
Two motorcyclists were killed in a Hyderabad road accident, today's The Hindu reported.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-hyd.jpg
One person was killed and four injured in this New Delhi road accident, according to today's The Hindu.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-delhi.jpg
Yesterday, there was a traffic jam on Mysore Road, Bangalore, thanks to an overturned truck, according to today's Deccan Herald.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accd.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 11th May 2010 at 09:29.

Old 11th May 2010, 11:22   #5719
Senior - BHPian

Guys, can we just post accident pictures rather than uploading the news too? You may give the link to the accident but please avoid uploading the news.
Old 11th May 2010, 11:25   #5720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Spotted this on Bannerghatta Rd.

The bike apparently went under the tanker.
There was too much traffic and a huge crowd, so I could n't make out if anyone was injured.

When and where on Bannerghatta road?
Old 11th May 2010, 14:45   #5721
BHPian

A little after 8:30, the location, a side road, near the Fortis Hospital. I can't be exact, because I'm not familiar with this area.
Old 11th May 2010, 16:07   #5722
Distinguished - BHPian

Notice the stupid, ignorant way that the New Indian Express speaks of the Perambalur accident:
Unexpectedly, the vehicle dashed against a tamarind tree
The media a very guilty of perpetuating the dangerous myth that accidents are something that happen to us, not something we cause.

Sorry... OT perhaps, and I feel another "your post has been deleted" coming on --- but this makes me so angry, because I think it is so important.
Old 11th May 2010, 16:13   #5723
Senior - BHPian

4 on a motorcycle? On a highway? And dangerous overtaking?

Serves them right!
Old 11th May 2010, 20:05   #5724
BHPian

@DRIV3R.
4 on a motorcycle. On a highway. Who would want to risk doing that?
A shortage of money, other circumstances or a lack of awareness might have been the cause this.
I don't really think they deserved their fate.
Old 12th May 2010, 00:22   #5725
Distinguished - BHPian

An overloaded bike, dangerously overtaking in the face of oncoming traffic? That's not fate, it is murder. Or at least criminally negligent driving.

(freely admitted: I don't know details of this accident, and speak in principle only).
Old 12th May 2010, 10:11   #5726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@DRIV3R.
4 on a motorcycle. On a highway. Who would want to risk doing that?

Quote:
A shortage of money,
This might explain why there were 4 of them on a bike. It doesn't explain dangerous overtaking maneuvers on the highway.

Quote:
other circumstances
And what are they?

Quote:
or a lack of awareness might have been the cause this.
What awareness? That a motorcycle is meant for only 2 persons? That you are supposed to overtake only when you have visibility and no oncoming traffic?

The rider should not hold a license if he is unaware of these bare basic facts, leave alone risking three other lives on a highway!

Last edited by DRIV3R : 12th May 2010 at 10:13.
Old 12th May 2010, 10:40   #5727
BANNED

Its Darwin Law at work here. Survival of the fittest. The dumb will get eliminated. Problem is they take some innocents along.
Old 12th May 2010, 10:43   #5728
BHPian

@DRI3VER:
'Circumstances' could be many. Not that I can guess of any.
Awareness? There are thousands of people in India who drive/ride haphazhardly. Do you think they do this on purpose? Why would anyone want to risk both life and limb. This shows how aware they are.
Many people in India do not have basic awareness, a known fact.
Old 12th May 2010, 11:57   #5729
BANNED

Quote:
Many people in India do not have basic awareness, a known fact.
Yes they are aware, that if you ride with 4 people and go up the wrong side while overtaking your chances of ending up in a morgue go up exponentially.

Problem is the belief in fate and it will not happen to me line of thought. Compounded by the total lack of regard for rules.
Old 12th May 2010, 12:12   #5730
Senior - BHPian

I am inclined to take a very cold (and maybe cruel) line on this. Darwin's law of the survival of the fittest is at work. Plus, our accident rate is too low when compared to the fertility rate.

I saw a funny sight today. Mom & dad in Wagon-R, both nicely belted up. Kid playing around the car unrestrained. I guess they were thinking that if an accident happened, the kid might die and they would survive to produce another kid

Most Viewed