Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2010, 16:21   #5986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
As promised, here are the pics from the police station yard.

EDIT: The pic where ive tagged the ecu isnt really the ecu. I just had a closer look!
Sheesh ! The RR looks terrible. Very sad sight indeed. Still on temp plates. Big time people realize, "With more power comes more responsibility!"
Old 1st June 2010, 17:03   #5987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Unless you meant something else, I would presume it to be 'trauma care'.
Yeah you meant trauma care.
Typo error, Sorry.

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd June 2010 at 16:38. Reason: U = you. Please type in full words as per the Team-BHP rules. Thanks.
Old 1st June 2010, 17:03   #5988
BHPian

A Tata lorry (a rigid truck by the looks of it; I could only glance at it) climbed on the divider in front of Powai lake and was obstructing traffic flow in the morning on the JVLR near the Powai lake/Hiranandani stretch. The right side of the driver's cabin, including the right front wheel was hanging on the other side of the road. A pic was out of the question as I was alone in the car and traffic albeit very slow, was moving, it being the office rush hour in the morning.

Seems the driver lost control at speed or swerved to the right at speed to overtake/avoid a vehicle/object in its path.

Didn't look like a fatal accident, but very very dangerous.

Regards
Old 1st June 2010, 22:34   #5989
Distinguished - BHPian

And here's a trailer doing what it's not supposed to - pulling down new lampposts. No casualties.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-tr1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-tr2.jpg
Old 1st June 2010, 23:14   #5990
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
A Black Range Rover was totalled in mangalore last evening. it Supposedly rammed the piller of the Kulur return bridge at high speed. The guy driving broke some bones and all the passengers(girls) are more or less fine.
Pics tomorrow IF possible!
The build quality of the RR is tough no doubt about it!
See this Suzuki Vitara which turned turtle while negotiating a turn. The A pillar is only somewhat bent. The driver (only occupant ) escaped with minor bruises.This is a two year old accident.The build quality of this one is also quite solid.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02960.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02958.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02961.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02957.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02959.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 1st June 2010 at 23:17.
Old 2nd June 2010, 02:45   #5991
BHPian

About Cars in India.

I dont go through this thread very often but whenever I go through I go back with a really bad feeling. I mean we all go to admit that the cars that we all drive around have very minimal safety features, and sometimes none. For many of the cars that we drive around, our faces usually are the crumple zones. When I say this I mean 2 car companies 1. Maruti Suzuki and 2. Hyundai.

Both these manufacturers no matter whats the model they are just badly made. The quality of materials used, the chassis design and many things that are critical during an accident. Most of these crashes that are listed here aren't high speed collisions or may be they are. But when they are compared to international standards the impact speed may be much slower than cars that crash elsewhere. The cars that are involved here in India are damaged beyond recognition.

The point I wish to address here is that the government should be very strict with car companies when it comes to safety. There are many cars like the 800, Santro, A-Star, and many more that are horrible things to be in the event of a crash. And if there is an icing on the cake here, it has to be the Maruti Omni.

Our country still lacks a governing body that defines safety measures for cars when it matters, or may be it has and it may have a 1000 people getting paid for no reason. They should come up with safety standards for cars and other vehicles too.

Well I am no safety expert here, but its high time that our country realizes that safety is a priority and with more and more people saying yes to cars it becomes ever more evident.
Old 2nd June 2010, 03:08   #5992
Distinguished - BHPian

This thread is for documenting the events, rather than general discussion, for which we ought to go to some other thread. However, briefly... Whilst there are certain specific vehicles that are just not safe, many of the Marutis and Hyundai cars of which you speak are driven all over the world. It is the drivers that cause the accidents; not the cars
Old 2nd June 2010, 07:45   #5993
Senior - BHPian

In this thread, one can see accident pictures of all sorts of vehicles. Not just Marutis or Hyundais. Hence I believe such a generalization cannot be made. Their build quality may be inferior. But lot also depends on the person driving and the uncertainties on road.
Old 2nd June 2010, 09:11   #5994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The build quality of the RR is tough no doubt about it!
See this Suzuki Vitara which turned turtle while negotiating a turn. The A pillar is only somewhat bent. The driver (only occupant ) escaped with minor bruises.This is a two year old accident.The build quality of this one is also quite solid.
Attachment 360084

Attachment 360087

Attachment 360088

Attachment 360089

Attachment 360090

I remember seeing this GV long back, was this vehicle driven rashly or all GVs have a problem with their center of gravity, i heard of couple of more incidents like this, i considered picking up one but let go the thought as the dealer told me its prone to these issues.

Pramod
Old 2nd June 2010, 09:29   #5995
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
all GVs have a problem with their center of gravity,
A load of buffalo dung. This car is very stable and a beauty to drive. I recently had an opputunity to drive the first gen model over 100+ kms. COmpare this to the Scorpio and you would know.

Its either the idiot behind the wheel or hazardous traffic conditions in India that would need to be blamed for this vehicle to end up like that.

Quote:
the dealer told me its prone to these issues.
Now you know which dealer not to buy the car from.
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:51   #5996
Senior - BHPian

Accident on NH-47

Was on my way to Coimbatore from Palakkad on monday, when I saw a mangled swift and a truck. It was some 3-4kms after Walayar checkpost. Seemed like a head-on collision, the front right portion of the white Swift was completely crushed. The truck, an AL Comet had its front right side crumpled. Don't think the driver survived the crash.
No pics, because i was driving.
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:31   #5997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
A DL-reg Scorpio went on a trip to HP and fell off the mountains. Landed on its roof. Two died.
Horrible crash, i wonder what could have caused such a fatal error. Night driving?

Last edited by gurudutt : 2nd June 2010 at 11:33.
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:51   #5998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is the drivers that cause the accidents; not the cars
I think he's talking about passive safety i.e. how well the car protects you after the crash.

But I would like some hard data before blaming Maruti and Hyundai entirely. The 800 and Omni are unsafe but I think the rest of the models are no better or worse than their direct competition
Old 2nd June 2010, 14:17   #5999
Senior - BHPian

hey, i've no problem with our Getz. once she got rammed at the back by a Bullet doing roughly 50-60kmph. not even a scratch!

in the almost 4yrs we've had her, other than a few scratches here and there (due to the wonderful traffic of Bangalore), we've never had an accident (touch wood). but again, the driver's skill also plays a major role.
Old 2nd June 2010, 14:27   #6000
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think he's talking about passive safety i.e. how well the car protects you after the crash.
Yes, certainly, but we still have to look at whether the driver used, for instance, the most basic and essential safety features, ie seatbelts.

Whilst India may have a particularly bad record for accidents and road deaths, don't forget that they happen in other countries too. Short of a tank, it is hard to find the invincible car.

I do not agree with blaming road conditions*, ever for an accident. Road conditions are what the driver has to cope with: if they fail, it is their failure, not the road's!

*traffic conditions, yes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks