Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 22:37   #6106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
^^ This even after the sari guard ? Time to redesign the saree guard to..whaaaaaaaaat ? Wait, how can a foot go inside a saree guard and later reach till
the spokes of the alloy wheels ? I can't see the text properly so please let me know how this can happen. I can see a mention of a fashionable bike. Now which segment is that ?
The bike had slipped and fallen down and it is said that the lady was sitting with both feet positioned towards the left side.So the fore-foot was detached on the spot, as it came in between the alloy spokes.In the case of a fall, the legs can be entangled into the wheel, even below the chain cover into the lower half of the wheel where there is no guard.
The bike was a brand new black Pulsar 150.
Old 16th June 2010, 22:42   #6107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The bike had slipped and fallen down and it is said that the lady was sitting with both feet positioned towards the left side.So the fore-foot was detached on the spot,
Ouch! That is a sad thing to happen man! I get it now!
Old 17th June 2010, 10:22   #6108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Sad to know about this.
Were you injured?
Whose indica have you mentioned?
all the best to put the culprits in soup.
From what I gathered, he was in his Indica & the Scorpio reversed into him. The Indica suffered damage over the front wheel well.
Old 17th June 2010, 10:43   #6109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^ This even after the sari guard ? Time to redesign the saree guard to..whaaaaaaaaat ? Wait, how can a foot go inside a saree guard and later reach till the spokes of the alloy wheels ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
In the case of a fall, the legs can be entangled into the wheel, even below the chain cover into the lower half of the wheel where there is no guard.
The bike was a brand new black Pulsar 150.

I doubt if there was a saree guard at all. I have seen very few Pulsars, FZ etc with one. It is mandatory but is either not installed, or the owners remove it immediately as it is infra dig to have one on their manly steeds! The only 150 cc that normally sports a saree guard is the Unicorn.

That a foot may foul with the wheel in spite of the saree guard is beside the point. A head injury may happen despite the helmet, so can we do away with it? The real danger in the absence of the guard is that loose clothing such as saree, dupatta etc may be sucked in to the wheel, causing the bike to fall as well as strangling the female pillion rider.

BTW a crash bar too is mandatory for bikes, but we see many "modern" bikes without one as well!

Last edited by Gansan : 17th June 2010 at 10:46.
Old 17th June 2010, 10:43   #6110
BHPian

Two different accidents read about in The Hindu today

One in Bihar Twelve killed as minibus overturns: The Hindu : States / Other States : Twelve killed as minibus overturns

the other in Tamilnadu 16 members of marriage party killed in TN mishap :
The Hindu : States / Tamil Nadu : 16 members of marriage party killed in TN mishap

may the Departed RIP
Old 17th June 2010, 10:44   #6111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
You can see 2-3 accidents a day at this L&T bypass. Most of the worst accidents in Coimbatore district happen here.
The L&T by-pass road is an abrupt transition to a smooth express way from the regular asphalt on NH-47 and other side roads. And it's common for drivers to let go off the adrenaline surge by stepping on the A-pedal. Not many are familiar with the contours of the road and also to the ups and downs (literally).

You can often see bulkers and tankers turned turtle at the turns, mangled up sedans and MUVs along this road during the rains.
Old 17th June 2010, 10:58   #6112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Not sure why you have masked the number.
Hope you file a hit and run case in the nearest station.
I am unsure of the sequence of the digits as it was dark and it happened in a flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
You have full right to be peeved mate. Make sure you register an FIR specifying the culprit vehicle's registration number at the police station under whose jurisdiction accident took place.
If I locate him, that's definitely top of my list.

Quote:
Shucks man! Family and all. Nevertheless, file a complaint and hunt the bugger down. Good to know you and your family are safe.
Thanks, Pervez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
chief, you had good reason to be angered, but IMO - you should not have left your family at the spot of the incident alone.
No, Ironhawk, my wife and son had just got into the car. And this happened barely 10 seconds later.

Quote:
Sad to know about this.
Were you injured?
Whose indica have you mentioned?
all the best to put the culprits in soup.
The Indica was mine and no one was injured as we were in the car. Thanks for the concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
From what I gathered, he was in his Indica & the Scorpio reversed into him. The Indica suffered damage over the front wheel well.
That's right, Suman.

Last edited by discoverwild : 17th June 2010 at 11:02.
Old 17th June 2010, 11:43   #6113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I doubt if there was a saree guard at all. I have seen very few Pulsars, FZ etc with one. It is mandatory but is either not installed, or the owners remove it immediately as it is infra dig to have one on their manly steeds! The only 150 cc that normally sports a saree guard is the Unicorn.

That a foot may foul with the wheel in spite of the saree guard is beside the point. A head injury may happen despite the helmet, so can we do away with it? The real danger in the absence of the guard is that loose clothing such as saree, dupatta etc may be sucked in to the wheel, causing the bike to fall as well as strangling the female pillion rider.

BTW a crash bar too is mandatory for bikes, but we see many "modern" bikes without one as well!
We see a lot of so-called sports bike without all these mandatory safety accessories. There should be a strong rule to curb these bikes. Also we find a lot of bikes without the rear mirrors. I myself have had one too many close shaves with bikes that dont have rear mirrors. Worst part is those bikers that feel mirrors degrade their bikes and their persona, are the ones that dont bother to indicate when turning.
Old 17th June 2010, 15:34   #6114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The only 150 cc that normally sports a saree guard is the Unicorn.
Wrong! The Pulsar, FZ 16, R15, HH CBZ X, Hunk, Suzuki GS150R, all sport the saree guard standard. Fitted from the factory.

It is HONDA which charges the customer for everything. Even the number plate, side stand are fitments made at dealer's end.
Old 17th June 2010, 15:41   #6115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post

The Indica was mine and no one was injured as we were in the car. Thanks for the concern

That's right, Suman.

It must be real bugging when something like this happens. What is the extent of the damage done to your Indiaca's nose?
Old 17th June 2010, 16:17   #6116
BHPian

Quote:
What is the extent of the damage done to your Indiaca's nose?
You remind me of my 8-year old nephew

Anyway, from what I gather, the front wheel well of discoverwild's Indica has caved in - means, there is a dent and would require denting, and if needed, painting too.
Old 17th June 2010, 17:00   #6117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Wrong! The Pulsar, FZ 16, R15, HH CBZ X, Hunk, Suzuki GS150R, all sport the saree guard standard. Fitted from the factory.

It is HONDA which charges the customer for everything. Even the number plate, side stand are fitments made at dealer's end.
Buddy you missed the RTR!!

All 150 cc Bikes come with Saree Gaurd, but most of the buyers remove it for reasons known only to them !!!
Infact they remove the front crash gaurd and ORVM's that come along with the bike too.
Old 17th June 2010, 17:11   #6118
BHPian

Private Volvo Accident near Hyderabad - info needed

Just read this article on TOI and I was not sure which private operator was operating the ill fated bus. Any updates from anyone on the forum

Condolences to the departed soul and thank god no one else was hurt.

Times of India Publications
Old 19th June 2010, 18:07   #6119
BHPian

Trailer turtled in rains

Trailer skidded off the road due to rain on NH17
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-060820101302.jpg  

Old 19th June 2010, 19:19   #6120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
You remind me of my 8-year old nephew