Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2010, 18:24   #6196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That would be speeds over about 5kmph?

Yes, this is offtopic, but the myth of what happens at what speeds continues to pervade even this informed forum, with people speaking of seat belts, city speeds, etc. If you are too close, ABS will do nothing to stop you hitting the guy in front who has just stopped suddenly. Set belts and airbags may well save your face, though.
Oh I totally agree that buckling up is THE best thing one could do protect one's safety - at any speeds - and its more critical than ABS / Airbags / whatever else the techies come up with. So lets keep them belts out of the equation.

If you are too close to the guy up front then really, God save you. Indian roads require you to be a really good driver who
  • notices all main traffic and peripheral movements
  • never takes his eyes off the road for more than 2-3 seconds at a time
  • guesses motives of any and every road user
  • budgets for fools to appear out of every blind spot possible
  • and accordingly controls his/her vehicle speed all the time
Therefore I think ABS comes in particularly handy to deal with (inevitable) lapses in any of the above departments. I thought I personally was a watertight safe driver who takes care of all these aspects. Until I almost skidded into a truck on a ring road once. The car (a Skoda Octavia) had airbags but no ABS. I wasn't a happy man that day. Hence in an unfortunate case of an Either/Or selection between ABS and Airbags, I would trust ABS to save my skin better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carZest View Post
As to the Micra, lets assume the Micra sells enough, but not to Nissan's expectations. Market feedback suggests it is perceived as being 20K-25K over-priced by junta. I hope I am wrong, but my gut feeling is we will have a variant that is 20K cheaper but minus the driver-airbag.
Yes one gets scared of such things happening to pioneering firms right? But Nissan has probably given it a hard thought before going ahead with driver airbags on even their lower models. Its got to be an image thing, and that carefully built image might take a hit if they renege on this 'core value'. Fingers crossed. What would also be interesting to see is Honda's safety strategy with the Jazz if/when they finally decide to go downmarket.
Old 27th June 2010, 20:10   #6197
BHPian

A couple of accidents i saw on my recent trip to dharmastala.

The trax toofan that was hit by the force traveler seen in the next pic. No one was seriously injured in the accident.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image0506.jpg
Apparently the traveler driver was watching the movie which was playing in the LCD inside, instead of paying attention on the road.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image0507.jpg
Accident on charmudi ghats no idea how it happened
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image0514.jpg
another one on the same ghat road.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image0536.jpg
Old 27th June 2010, 22:19   #6198
BHPian

The story of this Verna begins on first week of Nov 2007 and ends at 8:00 PM on Dec 24, 2007. This was owned by my friend and one of his acquaintance took his car for a Joy ride. The guy lost control of the car @100 km/hr when he failed to notice an oncoming car. In his desperate attempt to avoid head-on collision, he swayed left and back right. Instead of breaking, he oversteered the car which narrowly escaped hitting the side wall of the bridge and flies directly in between an electric post and a tree to the other side of the stream .

There was three more guys along with him when this incident happened. Due to DIVINE EXISTANCE, the car landed on somewhat mushy soil with rear half in water, the land acted somewhat like a cushion and the rest of the car took the crash.

The guys were all safe with just bruises. To note, they were NOT wearing the SEAT BELTS!!!!. Two guys who were sitting in the rear seats without realising that the rear of the car is in water, opened the door and both had a nice bathe at the right time.
ATTACHING SOME RANDOM PICS!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-verna.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-verna-1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-verna-2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-verna-3.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-verna-4.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-verna-5.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-verna-6.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-verna-7.jpg  

Old 27th June 2010, 22:33   #6199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
A bad accident has taken place near the Andheri Flyover, Mumbai. A cement mixer has fallen over a Toyota Innova. Luckily there were no casualtie, although the driver and passengers are injured. The news is being telecasted on various channels. It seems the cement mixer fell off from the flyover.
Dude, I was there just after the accident had taken place and I saw total chaos below and over the flyover. People had abandoned their cars on either sides of the flyover and were watching the rescue team in action.

I was so irritated and frustrated just looking at these stupid people who were causing a huge traffic jam over the flyover. They have all the time to stand and stare but not volunteer or contribute to the rescue. Because there was another ambulance stuck on top of the flyover because of the abandoned vehicles I did my bit by making way for the ambulance by forcing people to move by constant honking and flashing my lights.

I dont know why people cant mind their own business and move on. "If you cant be helpful at least dont be a nuisance to others"

I pray for the driver who is critical. Other 5 passengers are safe and unhurt.
Old 28th June 2010, 09:48   #6200
BHPian

Shineshine,

Your friends were plain lucky to survive from this horrible accident, considering:
No seatbelts, folded RVMs, highspeeds.
And unfortunate to drown a new unregistered Verna in a ditch.

Do you have some PICs showing the road from where it started flying? I am not able to judge how this happened.
Old 28th June 2010, 11:23   #6201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Shineshine,

Your friends were plain lucky to survive from this horrible accident, considering:
No seatbelts, folded RVMs, highspeeds.
And unfortunate to drown a new unregistered Verna in a ditch.

Do you have some PICs showing the road from where it started flying? I am not able to judge how this happened.
Look at third pic. He has depicted with red arrows.
Old 28th June 2010, 11:33   #6202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineshine View Post
The story of this Verna begins on first week of Nov 2007 and ends at 8:00 PM on Dec 24, 2007. This was owned by my friend and one of his acquaintance took his car for a Joy ride. The guy lost control of the car @100 km/hr when he failed to notice an oncoming car. In his desperate attempt to avoid head-on collision, he swayed left and back right. Instead of breaking, he oversteered the car which narrowly escaped hitting the side wall of the bridge and flies directly in between an electric post and a tree to the other side of the stream .

There was three more guys along with him when this incident happened. Due to DIVINE EXISTANCE, the car landed on somewhat mushy soil with rear half in water, the land acted somewhat like a cushion and the rest of the car took the crash.

The guys were all safe with just bruises. To note, they were NOT wearing the SEAT BELTS!!!!. Two guys who were sitting in the rear seats without realising that the rear of the car is in water, opened the door and both had a nice bathe at the right time.
ATTACHING SOME RANDOM PICS!
Bad accident there. Good that your friends made it. Also was the car being driven in temp number for over a month?? I could not digest that
Old 28th June 2010, 13:11   #6203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Bad accident there. Good that your friends made it. Also was the car being driven in temp number for over a month?? I could not digest that
A lot of people buying their car in November and December do this, they keep running on temp registration till the next year so that they can then register the car the following year, helps during resale.

Was the Verna owner able to claim insurance ? I think not since registration itself has'nt been done.
Old 28th June 2010, 13:21   #6204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
I am not very good in explaining things like these but still, here is what I think:

In case of a severe collision, your head tends to experience lots of jerks. Though head-rests are designed to avoid a whip-lash , there is a fair probability that the head might strike the window glass. Side airbags therefore, play quite a role even if the collision isn't exactly on the left or right side of the car. Its not that the side airbags safeguard occupants from impacts on doors of the car only. Even in a head on collision these things play a significant role.

Overall, even though their utility may be considered marginal, why take chances if one can afford to buy a car loaded with full quota of airbags?
Look at this video, it shows the driver and passenger airbags deploy during a frontal collision and the side/curtain airbags deployed during a side impact.
Euro NCAP Media | Hyundai i20
Old 28th June 2010, 17:29   #6205
BHPian

Another Kallada travels Mishap - 4 Dead.

This is the remains of a Blore-Kerala (pathanamthitta) Kallada travels bus which which met an accident near Salem. I had two of my friends traveling in it, fortunately the only ones who escaped completely unhurt.he said he saw the tail of the truck just by his side after the impact!!! so so close!!!!

As per their narration => The driver was feverish right from the onset and they had heard the co-driver asking him if needed to drive. Driver was running on an antibiotic it seems which made him drowsy and eventually ran the bus into a stationary truck late night when he slept at the wheels!. Completely irresponsible and careless behavior from Kallada travels to play with the lives of innocent people.

And the worse part => My friend who was still stuck inside crying for help says, three Kallada buses passed through and none stopped to help. Eventually a car driver came up with a rod, broke open the glass and pulled him out.

Such is the mentality of some travels in here in South India. Hats off! And the media, who cover everything, 'miss' such things too often. Travels mafia playing big hand?

Here is the malayalam news link :-
Mathrubhumi - ??????? ????????, ????? ?????????? ???????

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 28th June 2010 at 17:40.
Old 28th June 2010, 17:37   #6206
BHPian

Finally we get to see Verna in its home territory . Though I fell sorry for your friend, I am pretty much sure Verna's mad power with its boaty handling had contributed to this mess.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-verna.jpg  

Old 28th June 2010, 18:01   #6207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineshine View Post
This was owned by my friend and one of his acquaintance took his car for a Joy ride. The guy lost control of the car @100 km/hr when he failed to notice an oncoming car........
The guys were all safe with just bruises.
Talk about luck man! I don't give my cars to anyone except close family who are responsible drivers and will take unconditional ownership for repairs if things go wrong. And if I am not wrong the car was a brand new Verna. I cannot imagine the plight of the owner.
Old 28th June 2010, 18:55   #6208
Distinguished - BHPian

It is amazing that the occupants survived this crash unhurt, but even more amazing that they survived reporting back to the car's owner!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005
As per their narration => The driver was feverish right from the onset and they had heard the co-driver asking him if needed to drive. Driver was running on an antibiotic it seems which made him drowsy and eventually ran the bus into a stationary truck late night when he slept at the wheels!. Completely irresponsible and careless behavior from Kallada travels to play with the lives of innocent people.
Is there ever prosecution and punishment in these cases? One sees reports that police are investigating, or even bringing charges, but nothing after that. If court cases do result, why can't the media report it? It might act as a deterrent.
Old 29th June 2010, 10:34   #6209
Senior - BHPian

Article Window

I cross this stretch everyday and have always found it quite dangerous. There is serious congestion at both ends of the underpass and people invariably zoom in to complete their desired overtaking maneuvers.
Add to that re-carpeting has left the road level very uneven. The lights installed are absolutely inadequate and moving from a bright to a dimly-lit area creates visual difficulties as well.

Saw a Wagon R cab bang into to a bike right after the toll point on the DND flyway towards Noida. People zoom off like crazy after paying the toll.
Old 29th June 2010, 16:17   #6210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post

This is the remains of a Blore-Kerala (pathanamthitta) Kallada travels bus which which met an accident near Salem. I had two of my friends traveling in it, fortunately the only ones who escaped completely unhurt.he said he saw the tail of the truck just by his side after the impact!!! so so close!!!!

And the worse part => My friend who was still stuck inside crying for help says, three Kallada buses passed through and none stopped to help. Eventually a car driver came up with a rod, broke open the glass and pulled him out.

Such is the mentality of some travels in here in South India. Hats off! And the media, who cover everything, 'miss' such things too often. Travels mafia playing big hand?

Here is the malayalam news link :-
Mathrubhumi - ??????? ????????, ????? ?????????? ???????
Is that an AL or a Volvo? Seems like an AL to me.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 29th June 2010 at 16:18.

Most Viewed