Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2010, 22:52   #6286
BHPian

Example of overload Truck

Saw this today morning on MahaMaya flyover, noida. The truck was so overloaded that it could not climb the flyover. Just imagine the driver condition when this might have happend. Please excuse for the low resolution pic (Phone Cam)
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image0199.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image0198.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image0197.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image0196.jpg  

Old 9th July 2010, 01:39   #6287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive View Post
Saw this today morning on MahaMaya flyover, noida. The truck was so overloaded that it could not climb the flyover. Just imagine the driver condition when this might have happend. Please excuse for the low resolution pic (Phone Cam)
One question ....
How the hell did the driver get down after this??
Did he get a ladder or what??
Old 9th July 2010, 01:53   #6288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
Sorry mods wrong post.
Reason for error.
Replying from my phone and somethings wrong.
Seriously, this is insane. Poor fellow, I hope he was able to climb down along the chassis.
Old 9th July 2010, 02:29   #6289
Senior - BHPian

I had once seen this happen to another trucker with heavy logs in a mail chain, and I thought the picture was edited. But, now I know that was not edited. This can happen. Whaaat!
Old 9th July 2010, 07:29   #6290
BHPian

Page No 420

This truck is almost making a V.
I wonder what would happen once the whole load came off. Would it crash back down?

On the lighter side. The is Page number 420
Old 9th July 2010, 09:29   #6291
BHPian

Considering the fact that the truck is so precariously balanced on its rear wheels, it is absolutely shocking that authorities allowed traffic even before the mess is cleared (or at least the truck was brought on all its 4) - perfect recipe for another disaster
Old 9th July 2010, 09:44   #6292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
This truck is almost making a V.
I wonder what would happen once the whole load came off. Would it crash back down?

On the lighter side. The is Page number 420
Yes. The chassis along with the Load carrier would come crashing down. This would have needed a crane to hold the chassis/cabin up and slowly remove the stones and lower the truck to the ground slowly. As of now, the carrier is standing vertical on its own, held by the stone's weight and truck cabin is just hanging from it.
Amazing that the hydraulic piston is in its 'unloaded' position!
Old 9th July 2010, 09:51   #6293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
the hydraulic piston is in its 'unloaded' position!
Surely overloading could have contributed to the truck's position, however, keeping in mind the observation above, there is a likelihood that somehow the hydraulic piston got disengaged accidentally while the truck was on move and led to this situation.
I could be wrong though in drawing such an inference as I am not familiar with the unloading mechanism of such trucks
Old 9th July 2010, 10:02   #6294
PSA

I agree with Aloksriva, Piston might have been disengaged and truck overturned!!!
Old 9th July 2010, 10:07   #6295
BHPian

Whoa, that is so insane! We really should have checks for overloaded trucks. I feel that's something way too common in India
Old 9th July 2010, 11:45   #6296
BHPian

Guys, instead of pitying the driver who was part of the crime, imagine what could have happened if some innocent family was in a car behind this truck. they would have paid the price for no fault of theirs !
Old 9th July 2010, 11:50   #6297
BHPian

We do have check for overloaded trucks in india. The cops check any heavily loaded vehicle and automatically their pockets get loaded heavily too.
P.S : The lorry says "All goods". I guess they have to repaint that now
Old 9th July 2010, 13:07   #6298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
Guys, instead of pitying the driver who was part of the crime, imagine what could have happened if some innocent family was in a car behind this truck. they would have paid the price for no fault of theirs !
+1 to that. Sometime back in hyd, there used to be these heavily loaded trucks with huge boulders sitting precariously on them. Most of the times, these trucks will have their back wide open and they'll be in the middle lane of the uphill Gachibolwi road (that leads to host of IT companies like Infosys, Wipro, MSFT etc.,) that too at peak time. There used to be many cars closely following these trucks to overtake them and it'll look as though all it'll take for the boulder to roll over and fall on your car is a bad gear jerk from the truck.

I consciously avoid following such trucks (atleast not on the direct impact path). However, I don't see these trucks nowadays. Police action - not too optimistic, lack of boulder blasting due to real estate crash at Hyd - more probable!
Old 9th July 2010, 13:26   #6299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
Yet another reason never to drive close to the vehicle in front, especially if it is a truck and especially if the truck is loaded with stones, sand, grit, pebbles etc. It only takes one stone to smash your car and maybe your head!
Old 9th July 2010, 14:08   #6300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KESriram View Post
all it'll take for the boulder to roll over and fall on your car is a bad gear jerk from the truck.
Tell me about this.. A couple of weeks ago, had gone out for a family dinner and while returning, there was this dumper loaded with stones driving recklessly driving in the same direction ahead of me.

I intentionally kept myself in a lane different from dumper while I was a good distance behind it. While overtaking it, there was a metallic clank followed by a big thud (or was it the other way round - don't remember clearly). Immediately switched on the hazard lights, went ahead of the dumper, slowed down and indicated him to pull over.

Got out of the car, walked round to the left side and did a thorough inspection. No damage, but my wife sitting in the passenger side did mention there was a stone which fell off the dumper while we were overtaking it.

Dumper driver came down and when I asked him why can't he have his loaded truck covered with trapaulin/tirpal and that why was he driving recklessly all this while, he started off in his haryanavi tone at the top of his voice as to it was not his fault that the stone fell off. Probably he thought that the local accent coupled with a high decibel level will shoo me off. However it did piss me off even more (I was already peeved with something hitting my car for no fault of mine) and it culminated in a tight slap on driver's face with a warning to tone down else he would spend a week in lock up, to be beaten black n blue with little or no chances of bail and that the dumper would be impounded till the court gives a decision. Somewhat on the lines of 'jaanta hai mai kaun hoon'

Immediately this joker, who was roaring a few moments ago, had his tails between his legs, and started pleading giving a different story that he is poor driver and that he would be in trouble from all sides (from his employer as well for not following proper safety instructions)!

Anyway, since there was no damage to the car - probably stone had fallen off, rolled on the road and hit the underbody - I moved on..

Now before I am branded as rash in my attitude for slapping this idiot, there are a few things - '
1) I was in car with mine and my sister's family which included my 3 year old niece and 8 month old son; thank God for small mercies that the stone probably hit the underbody, what if it had fallen in a manner so as to cause an accident causing injury?
2) My observation of Gurgaon's road/drivers/traffic in last one year of my stay has taught me either to turn a blind eye to what's happening on the road or if you take it up, don't be cowed down with the local accent.
3) I would have moved on without slapping him, had this driver not started bullying around..

Not the best of things to do, but when its your family being threatened, I guess it tends to bring out the beast in oneself.

Last edited by AlokSriva : 9th July 2010 at 14:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks