Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2010, 18:03   #6361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I insisted on a friend of my wife's wearing a belt the other day, and she did not know how to fasten it.

metacafe doesn't work for me: any Youtube link?
Here's the Youtube link

Old 18th July 2010, 18:10   #6362
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks.... I managed 1 minute and 33 seconds --- and we see worse driving than that on Indian streets every day.

Cars... just as dangerous as guns...
Old 18th July 2010, 18:28   #6363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
learnt a lesson from the part in which the SUV gets hit from the back at the stoplight
Yes, that part was the most shocking. One needs to be on the brake even while stopped at stoplight.
Old 18th July 2010, 18:37   #6364
Distinguished - BHPian

That was the point at which I couldn't take any more.

That's a valid lesson, to apply handbrake. Remember when red traffic lights used to have the word "relax" on them?

The other big lesson is that anytime you are driving too fast to stop in the distance you can see you might be about to kill someone.
Old 19th July 2010, 07:08   #6365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Have seen this video 10-15 times, but it still hits me hard.

Guys... don't just drive safe, encourage others to do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i do that and i get laughed at! some of my friends don't even want to sit in the front seat in my car because i enforce the seat belt rule! i don't understand why people have aversion to safety
An easy way to pass this video to other friends would be to post it on your facebook / orkut update page. I just did that, hopefully it will get passed on to others too.
Old 19th July 2010, 07:44   #6366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
An easy way to pass this video to other friends would be to post it on your facebook / orkut update page. I just did that, hopefully it will get passed on to others too.

At times it feels like a useless cause. People will post and repost Joachim Loew eating boogers but they want even watch a video that tells them to drive safe.
Old 19th July 2010, 07:49   #6367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
Oh my gosh! I hope the driver of the sedan survived! When will we have proper trucks :-(
What has having proper truck to do with the stupidity of the sedan driver? We need to look at pictures more objectively before blaming the world and their brother.

Look at the picture again. Most likely the truck was parked on the right shoulder (judge from background of trees and the white lane marker in foreground and the "small branch" stuck to trucks left side as breakdown warning).

Alternatively if this was a two (or more) lane highway then truck was parked in the fast lane. Granted the fault of truck driver to stop there because of breakdown or what ever.

But what was sedan driver doing? Going under the truck parked on the right shoulder / lane of the road. In either case visibility would not have been a problem. Probably the OP can describe the locale better. Most likely this could occur due to either completely distracted (sleepy) sedan driver? Or a sudden over taking manoeuvre from behind a large vehicle only to discover lane blockage too late. Fault of sedan driver in either case.

The left A pillar and roof show deformation. So looks like car "bounced back" a little after coming to stop. The truck axle is not dislodged (see leaf springs) so one can conclude that the sedan hit the tyres and caused the damage. Also fits in to "bounce back assumption. From this picture alone can not comment of the right side damage. Hope occupants were safe.

Old 19th July 2010, 09:36   #6368
BHPian

From the leaves on the back of the truck, seems like it broke down and was parked and the car hit it from behind.
Old 19th July 2010, 12:09   #6369
Senior - BHPian

Sad incident in Kerala yesterday. A car fell into the river and two children lost their lives. The father, who had only recently got his DL, was taking the car out of the house when he lost control of the car and fell into the river opposite the house. He fell out of the car before it hit the river. The mother was outside, closing the gate, and was left watching.
Old 19th July 2010, 12:11   #6370
Senior - BHPian

The incident is a pointer to our driving tests for getting the DL.Here is the news of the above incident.
Manorama Online Malayalam News

Last edited by poloman : 19th July 2010 at 12:14.
Old 19th July 2010, 12:23   #6371
Senior - BHPian

Accident / Animal Fury?

Hi,

Different views of an incident In Thrissur town on 18/07/2010:

Kerala Kaumudi:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-keralakaumudi18072010.jpg

MathruBhumi:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mathrubhoomi18072010_medium.jpg

Malayala Manorama:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mm18072010_medium.jpg

The damage was to vehicles only other than the pain and suffering of the elephant.
Old 19th July 2010, 12:29   #6372
BHPian

Accident to my car

I hoped i'd never be posting to this thread about my car, but well, nows the time.
My Wagon R was being used to chauffeur around my Mom on Saturday. While they were crossing the Bisleri junction on WEH (in the middle lane of the road), a tempo jumped the lights and banged into the car from the right. It narrowly missed an autorickshaw which was to the right of our car.

Fortunately only the car was broken up, no injuries to the driver or to my Mother and the tempo was not going too fast. Most of the damage was caused by a huge towing hook in the front of the tempo (looks like a Tata Ace - fortunate that it wasn't anything bigger)
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0001.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0003.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0000.jpg  

Last edited by gomzi : 19th July 2010 at 12:31.
Old 19th July 2010, 13:55   #6373
BHPian

Source:
Speeding BMW hits Israeli embassy vehicle in Delhi

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bmw1.jpg

July 19, 2010 12:14 IST
Delhi: BMW, the super series of German cars from the stable of General Motors, have earned quite a reputation on Delhi roads. On Sunday night, yet another luxury sedan was involved in an accident.

The speeding BMW rammed into an Innova car of Israeli embassy and dragged it for few meters before coming to a halt on Aurangzeb Road around midnight. According to the police, no injuries were reported in the accident.

The police said there were two people in the car including a girl.

"The car suffered major damages and the driver could not start it again and he abandoned the car on the spot," a police official said.

The police are looking for the owner of the car. According to an eyewitness, the BMW was running at a speed of over 100 Kmph.
Old 19th July 2010, 13:59   #6374
BHPian

@ trrk: Man!! Look at the size of that beast... It looks larger than the normal ones that we generally see. Or maybe large is the standard elephant size down south! Other than the bodywork, the Zen definitely needs a new suspension setup as one can see.

Question : What was the reason for all that rage?
Old 19th July 2010, 14:10   #6375
Team-BHP Support

[quote=neeld;1987292 BMW, the super series of German cars from the stable of General Motors, have earned quite a reputation on Delhi roads. On Sunday night, yet another luxury sedan was involved in an accident. [/QUOTE]

GM would love that and so would BMW!

Most Viewed