Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2010, 15:11   #6376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post
Question : What was the reason for all that rage?
Read in newspaper that the elephant was hit by a football .
Old 19th July 2010, 15:12   #6377
Distinguished - BHPian

That is such sad news about the children in Kerala.

Thanks for the elephant damage pics. Saw one pic of the creature chasing its handlers, and thought that was dramatic enough: the car damage pics are amazing.

Question : What was the reason for all that rage? According to my paper, the bull was in musth (spelling?). Thus it should never have been involved in ceremonial activities. Those responsible should be punished.

Gomzi, sorry for you and your car. For having been hit from the side, I think you have been lucky; it could have been a lot worse. Towing hooks, bullbars, and all that horrendous stuff should be banned. Just think if your car had been a pedestrian.

Lucky or not, it is an experience and a bill you can do without.
Old 19th July 2010, 16:13   #6378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeld View Post
BMW, the super series of German cars from the stable of General Motors, have earned quite a reputation on Delhi roads.
GM has this uncanny ability for drawing itself into the fourth estate. I guess the journalist could not make out the difference up, when someone spoke of "BMW is a German car" and must have just written "BMW is a GM car". What?

After breaking news, is this meant to be called "breaking companies" especially a fragile GM?

BH.
Old 19th July 2010, 16:24   #6379
BHPian

Today morning at Fountain intersection near HSBC, Fort witnessed a BEST beast taking out a Swift VXI from behind (both moving towards Kalaghoda). The Swift probably braked for a pedestrian making a last minute dash and had the bus rear ending him. The bumper and tail lights all damaged beyond repair and hatch having a huge dent. The car driver abandons the vehicle and argues, gesticulating wildly with the (e)motionless bus driver. After venting his spleen poor guy goes back to continue his journey. He must surely have been setback by approximately Rs. 30,000 for the damages (replacement of the bumper, tail lights etc, denting and painting of the hatch and any other hidden damages).
Old 20th July 2010, 14:19   #6380
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeld View Post
Speeding BMW hits Israeli embassy vehicle in Delhi
Quote:
The speeding BMW rammed into an Innova car
Why do these press folk love the word speeding? I've yet to see an accident report without speeding in the title.

Quote:
BMW, the super series of German cars from the stable of General Motors
Old 20th July 2010, 14:55   #6381
Senior - BHPian

Wouldn't blame them. Half the bimmers I see on road are well over the speed limit.

Yesterday, one doing 150+ gave me a bad wobble when it passed me and I got sucked into the slipstream.
Old 20th July 2010, 16:07   #6382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Why do these press folk love the word speeding? I've yet to see an accident report without speeding in the title.
It must have been going at some speed, even if it was a slow one!
Old 20th July 2010, 16:22   #6383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Wouldn't blame them. Half the bimmers I see on road are well over the speed limit.

Yesterday, one doing 150+ gave me a bad wobble when it passed me and I got sucked into the slipstream.
Its rather an exception than a trend, i have seen a lot of beamers going well below the speed limit in kerala, may be the delhi boys are high on testosterone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It must have been going at some speed, even if it was a slow one!

sir Thad, its not a regular case. Delhi roads are being invaded by speed demons these days, its a norm here in india, the bigger the vehicle the more are you at fault. It brings sensation if we read beamer at 300 KMPS crashed into a stationary maruti 800/ Divider.

Pramod
Old 20th July 2010, 16:37   #6384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
beamers going well below the speed limit in kerala
That's probably because they are in God's own country
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
may be the delhi boys are high on testosterone
and this is probably because they are not in God's own country!!

Please refrain from bringing such discrimination based on geographic diversities on T-BHP and offending others..

Thanks!
Old 20th July 2010, 17:06   #6385
Senior - BHPian

Okay! Just to clear something, I did not feel offended by that.

And yes, people in Delhi are more rowdy on the road as compared to other places.

I wasn't at all incriminating the BMW guy in this case, but just illustrating by an example that it isn't uncommon for a BMW to be found well above the speed limit.

@PramodKumar

After driving through Haryana, UP, Uttarakhand and the likes, I found Kerela's traffic to be very civilized. Even the KSRTC wasn't as bad as UP Roadways. :P
Old 20th July 2010, 17:26   #6386
BHPian

On Indian roads, one doesn't need a high-end car to speed. I have seen umpteen 800/WagonR/Santro cars zipping through a crowded road in a manner as if they are being hounded by hungry canines and the driver was running/driving for his life!

There are n number of accidents taking place every hour on our roads but do all of them find a mention on our news channels? Why?

This has been discussed in past umpteen times - the moment media finds a high-end car involved in a road accident, they tend to make it a breaking news by sensationalizing the accident.

While we are at difference in driving styles in different cities, why do we tend to forget that the average speed is directly proportional to the quality of roads? No wonder folks have an impression that the speeding episodes are more in Delhi/NCR as compared to other parts of the country.

In fact forget Delhi/NCR, each city has its areas where average speed is far higher than that in other parts of the same town. What would you call the drivers driving on the former?

Last edited by AlokSriva : 20th July 2010 at 17:27. Reason: typo
Old 20th July 2010, 18:41   #6387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
After driving through Haryana, UP, Uttarakhand and the likes, I found Kerela's traffic to be very civilized. Even the KSRTC wasn't as bad as UP Roadways. :P
bro, you've not met the private bus drivers of Thrissur yet and if you're saying the KSRTC wasn't all that bad, i can only imagine how bad the ones you're comparing them to would be!!
Old 20th July 2010, 19:55   #6388
Senior - BHPian

saw this one the way to office today on Hosur road:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_mg_5505.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_mg_5506.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_mg_5507.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_mg_5508.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_mg_5509.jpg
not sure if the Zen rear-ended the Swift because the back of the Swift seems fine! apologies about the dark shots, my window was rolled up.
Old 21st July 2010, 09:02   #6389
BHPian

saw a fatal accident today morning, in front of Total (Airport road). BMTC bus mowed down a pedestrian crossing the road.The bus was driving very slow and hence it seems like it was the fault of the person who was crossing the road. I was in our office cab right behind the bus and our driver was lucky enough to prevent the cab from rear ending the bus. Unfortunately, the person got killed on the spot.Immediately after stopping the bus, driver and conductor started running in opposite directions.
Old 21st July 2010, 09:38   #6390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Please refrain from bringing such discrimination based on geographic diversities on T-BHP and offending others..

Thanks!
Sorry if i have offended anyone, i have spend 25 years of my life in Delhi and i used to live opposite to Bangla sahib Gurudwara and trust me all Saturday nights used to be sleepless nights for due to numerous daredevils on bikes ruling the road with their loud bikes.

Quote:
That's probably because they are in God's own country
You could have done without the sarcasm and try and understand the point i am trying to make, well you too are supporting it in your later posts

Quote:
On Indian roads, one doesn't need a high-end car to speed. I have seen umpteen 800/WagonR/Santro cars zipping through a crowded road in a manner as if they are being hounded by hungry canines and the driver was running/driving for his life!
Quote:
There are n number of accidents taking place every hour on our roads but do all of them find a mention on our news channels? Why?

This has been discussed in past umpteen times - the moment media finds a high-end car involved in a road accident, they tend to make it a breaking news by sensationalizing the accident.
My Point different words

Quote:
While we are at difference in driving styles in different cities, why do we tend to forget that the average speed is directly proportional to the quality of roads? No wonder folks have an impression that the speeding episodes are more in Delhi/NCR as compared to other parts of the country.

In fact forget Delhi/NCR, each city has its areas where average speed is far higher than that in other parts of the same town. What would you call the drivers driving on the former?
I Agree with you 100%

Quote:
and this is probably because they are not in God's own country!!
We are lucky??

I am once again sorry if i offended anyone by my previous/ current post.

Pramod

Most Viewed