Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 00:09   #6436
Distinguished - BHPian

anilisanil, very bad news. Good to hear that you were keeping good distance from the car in front, and that everyone in your car was wearing seat belts. I just goes to show that we can't always avoid the nasty stuff. What kind of speeds were involved?

The only thing I can think is that I try to avoid being part of a close group, a knot, of vehicles: either get ahead, or let others get ahead. If there is so much traffic, even this can't be avoided.
Old 26th July 2010, 08:51   #6437
BHPian

anilisanil, really sorry to hear this!

Please claim insurance and get your damages fixed asap, that will do your heart and mind worlds of good.

Also, this just shows the importance of wearing SEAT BELTS! I wonder why most assume nothing's gonna go wrong ... how much time does it take to put them on
Old 26th July 2010, 09:27   #6438
Senior - BHPian

Just saw this on TV, an ANHC runs over PWD workers in Delhi. 2 workers killed and 7 injured.

looks like the guys were racing to another car that had hit the rediwala a minute back.

Heres the link to NDTV website. Delhi: Car runs over labourers, 2 dead

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 26th July 2010 at 09:41.
Old 26th July 2010, 09:49   #6439
Distinguished - BHPian

Sunday 3:00 am, 2 vehicles of ours left for gopalswamy betta for which we had planned on the previous day 20:00 hours. We stopped by a tea stall in bidadi at 4:15 and headed for our next stop in gundlupet for breakfast.Never did we know that our next stop would be in mandya

4:40 am it was and this "everlovable" speedbreaker broke my speed as well as my car.

2 cars in front of me were going at 90-100 and were at about 500mts away from me.they had to brake hard for this hump put up by some local villagers on the mysore-bangalore highway. one vehicle was on one lane and to avoid that vehicle, the other car was on the other lane.
I saw it at around 400 mts before and applied my brakes. it came down to around 40kmph speed before my brakes got locked.at that speed my mind didn't work to release the brakes a bit and apply again. My car had a skid for about 100mts and hit one of the vehicles

I had worn the seatbelt just five minutes before after having forgotten to wear it after my previous stop. That action of mine was my life saver.
All 4 people in my car escaped unhurt except for my wife who was sitting behind me. she got some 3 cuts and she got 8 stiches totally in 3 different places. The vehicle which i hit was a UV and its guards protected that and damaged my vehicle. My M800 had become a nano

Luckily for me the engine is still starting. the car has been towed back to bangalore and I'm now going to check the damages.
After this incident my next car would be certainly a car with ABS.
Seat belt ki jai.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-25072010736.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-25072010737.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-25072010738.jpg  

Old 26th July 2010, 11:02   #6440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Sunday 3:00 am, 2 vehicles of ours left for gopalswamy betta for which we had planned on the previous day 20:00 hours. We stopped by a tea stall in bidadi at 4:15 and headed for our next stop in gundlupet for breakfast.Never did we know that our next stop would be in mandya

4:40 am it was and this "everlovable" speedbreaker broke my speed as well as my car.

2 cars in front of me were going at 90-100 and were at about 500mts away from me.they had to brake hard for this hump put up by some local villagers on the mysore-bangalore highway. one vehicle was on one lane and to avoid that vehicle, the other car was on the other lane.
I saw it at around 400 mts before and applied my brakes. it came down to around 40kmph speed before my brakes got locked.at that speed my mind didn't work to release the brakes a bit and apply again. My car had a skid for about 100mts and hit one of the vehicles

I had worn the seatbelt just five minutes before after having forgotten to wear it after my previous stop. That action of mine was my life saver.
All 4 people in my car escaped unhurt except for my wife who was sitting behind me. she got some 3 cuts and she got 8 stiches totally in 3 different places. The vehicle which i hit was a UV and its guards protected that and damaged my vehicle. My M800 had become a nano

Luckily for me the engine is still starting. the car has been towed back to bangalore and I'm now going to check the damages.
After this incident my next car would be certainly a car with ABS.
Seat belt ki jai.
chillax bro. such incidents keep happening . the locals at heggere, tumkur did a similar thing and we had bikers falling every day and coming to our college for treatment. we also saw a few 4wheelers crashing into one another .
Old 26th July 2010, 11:11   #6441
BHPian

OMG.
This is exactly the spot where my Esteem was rear ended by a truck, sometime ago. I slowed down as I noticed the speed breaker ahead. The empty sand truck just came crashing on my car from the rear, inspite of me sticking to the left most side. Seat belt saved mine and my friend's life then. The car was KL registered and had only 3rd party insurance then. I was too shocked to even react. Nothing much could be done: the cops will take their share and lodging an FIR would be no good as the insurance was just a 3rd party one and I had to get back home at the earliest.
While driving back, at the KA-KL border check-post, the cops/forest guys came up with some stupid rules and demanded money. Gave a piece of my mind in proper Kannada and carried on.

Inspite of the existing ones, they have built new massive ones close to Mysore. Its pretty much dangerous to drive at night, for people who are not used to this road.
I keep a note of landmarks before each speed breaker, so that I can prepare well in advance. It worked well for me! Actually it doesn't matter if you are a frequent driver on this stretch.

Last edited by jeeva : 26th July 2010 at 11:14.
Old 26th July 2010, 11:47   #6442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
I Somehow got pissed with the attitude of police and screamed at the police in telugu to clear the traffic and then try to act smart.

Police did not like it but he listened to me and asked to move the truck and car by their respective drivers. Car moved first and truck was following, he uses hand signals and the cleaner also screaming to other cars coming near to let him go first, well no one listens. Suddenly in front of my eyes, a NHC comes and hits the front left tyre of the truck and gets stuck. The driver gets down and abuses the truck guys in hindi for no fault of theirs. I asked the NHC driver to take car and leave as its his fault. He seemed to have got the point and then next question "sir, do you know how to drive ? I don't know how to take reverse"

I just did not know what to do, i am sure my blood pressure went to maximum, can't drive a car but tries to act smart. uh. Helped the car take reverse and ultimately ended up clearing the traffic. Policemen no where to be seen.
Car guy obviously is upset. Seeing his t shirt with a company name, i figured he knows english, spoke to hm and told "call your insurance guys and claim it, if you leave the car and proceed with a case, the vehicles will be left in the station rotting for few days, court case, bribe and ultimately you will have to lose money. Since its a new car, no depreciation and get full claim except for painting and tax. Car guy understands and calms down,
decides to shake hands with truck driver. Both thank me and then push off.

After i started walking the policemen follows me and following conversation,

Police - What's your problem ? are u a politician or an advocate ?
Me - No one, a normal citizen (in a sarcastic tone)
Police - We would have got something out of the issue and you ruined it (in an arrogant tone)
Me - Is govt. not paying you salary ?
Police - That's not enough, we don't have car/bike, fancy cell phone like you (He saw my Nokia E series)
Me - Is that a necessity ? Why can't you save money or try to move up the career and get what you want ?
Police - Got irritated, abused me (meaning mother whatever abuse) and was cursing me.

I smiled and walked off, wanted to hit him and kill him, but something controlled the generally short tempered me, felt happy for helping the accident victims and resolve the issue.
Great Job . We need more people like you .
Old 26th July 2010, 15:35   #6443
Distinguished - BHPian

but has to be mentioned in passing...

ABS does not reduce your stopping distance
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2010, 15:44   #6444
Senior - BHPian

Why are there so many accidents involving t-bhp in the last few pages!
Drive safe guys!!!

A lady chomping on apples decided to run her Wagon R over the foot while we were stuck in a jam.

Just for the record, I never squeeze through... or spread my legs too wide

The worst part was that she was unapologetic.

Had to use the heel for shifting gears for the next 20 kms. I don't think its broken, just hurts when something applies pressure on the top of the tip.
Old 26th July 2010, 15:49   #6445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
but has to be mentioned in passing...

ABS does not reduce your stopping distance
Say that the wheels locked and the car was dragged for 10 metres.

There is a possibility that the car would have stopped within 10 metres with ABS, no?

Even if it doesn't, the speed of impact would be much lesser as a car moving with locked wheels would be in greater momentum.
Old 26th July 2010, 16:07   #6446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Say that the wheels locked and the car was dragged for 10 metres.

There is a possibility that the car would have stopped within 10 metres with ABS, no?

Even if it doesn't, the speed of impact would be much lesser as a car moving with locked wheels would be in greater momentum.

In this case the stooping distance should have been less with ABS. Once the wheel get locked the ABS will be the star. The stopping distance of a non ABS vehicle compared to an ABS one will be a bit lesser in the case if the wheel doesn't lock.
And if also it didn't stop he sometimes would have been able to steer it away without a collision if the vehicle had ABS. Since with ABS the wheel keep moving without locking and hence providing more control of the vehicle with the steering
Old 26th July 2010, 16:07   #6447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
^^ Man, that is sad. I understand how bad you must be feeling, however, I commend you on getting everything right on your part. Keeping your foot on the break for the first impact was well done.

If your finances permit, get the car fixed tomorrow itself. This was just plain bad luck, here's wishing you better times ahead. Take care.
Thanks Amartya, just back from the service center. Hatch door has to be repaired for the lock jam to be removed.

Rear bumper was punctured due to the impact and a has a small hole, opted for replacing it.

Front bumper has a lot of scraches so getting it repainted.

Body shop quote 9500-10500 + taxes. Opting for insurance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
These things happen. Life still goes on.
Get it repaired soon. Rust should not be allowed to settle.
Thanks mate, yes getting it done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
anilisanil, very bad news. Good to hear that you were keeping good distance from the car in front, and that everyone in your car was wearing seat belts. I just goes to show that we can't always avoid the nasty stuff. What kind of speeds were involved?

The only thing I can think is that I try to avoid being part of a close group, a knot, of vehicles: either get ahead, or let others get ahead. If there is so much traffic, even this can't be avoided.
Thanks for the concern, I was doing with in the limit around 40 KMPH, even the swift behind me was doing safe speeds. I think it was i20 and OHC who were the culprits. And I was on the slowest lane.

I have started to accept that these thing can't be avoided! Otherwise it is cracking my nerves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
anilisanil, really sorry to hear this!

Please claim insurance and get your damages fixed asap, that will do your heart and mind worlds of good.

Also, this just shows the importance of wearing SEAT BELTS! I wonder why most assume nothing's gonna go wrong ... how much time does it take to put them on

Sure mate, as said above getting it done. Thaks for the concern though. Really helpful.

Is it ok to get things painted in heavy rains?

Last edited by anilisanil : 26th July 2010 at 16:10.
Old 26th July 2010, 16:20   #6448
Distinguished - BHPian

Whilst the most efficient point of braking is just before lockup, if I remember correctly, the advice endorsed by the UK police for an emergency stop is to stand on the brakes and skid to a halt. As there is no ability to steer during this, ABS allows of the possibility of steering around the obstruction; it is not intended to reduce braking distance. There are other "gadgets" like brake assist, which increases braking pressure beyond the normal when it senses an emergency stop in progress.

I know there are ABS threads, and I'm sensing "Your post has been moved/deleted" PMs on their way to us
Old 26th July 2010, 16:31   #6449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post

Is it ok to get things painted in heavy rains?
Not advisable, as moisture content in the atmosphere is high. But if the paint shop is professional enough, not to worry.
Old 26th July 2010, 16:50   #6450
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxer View Post
In this case the stooping distance should have been less with ABS. Once the wheel get locked the ABS will be the star. The stopping distance of a non ABS vehicle compared to an ABS one will be a bit lesser in the case if the wheel doesn't lock.
And if also it didn't stop he sometimes would have been able to steer it away without a collision if the vehicle had ABS. Since with ABS the wheel keep moving without locking and hence providing more control of the vehicle with the steering
You are right buddy. after coming back home after this unfortunate accident, coincidently on "Discovery Turbo" they were showing the difference between ABS and non ABS vehicles. non-ABS vehicles with locked wheels cover more distance than an ABS vehicle. So an ABS vehicle might just avoid collision or would certainly reduce the impact.

I came back from the body repair shop just now and Its more or less like I have lost the vehicle. the estimate will most probably cross the insured value and repairing the car is not seeming a worthy option.

Most Viewed