Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2010, 00:54   #6451
BHPian

2nd & 3rd pic-Our Ikon got elbowed hard.
1st pic- Our Corolla got a bit to close to the wall. (Sorry for the weird pic)
Pics are over a year old or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image005.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image006.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image025.jpg  

Old 27th July 2010, 09:06   #6452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Sunday 3:00 am, 2 vehicles of ours left for gopalswamy betta for which we had planned on the previous day 20:00 hours. We stopped by a tea stall in bidadi at 4:15 and headed for our next stop in gundlupet for breakfast.Never did we know that our next stop would be in mandya

4:40 am it was and this "everlovable" speedbreaker broke my speed as well as my car.

2 cars in front of me were going at 90-100 and were at about 500mts away from me.they had to brake hard for this hump put up by some local villagers on the mysore-bangalore highway. one vehicle was on one lane and to avoid that vehicle, the other car was on the other lane.
I saw it at around 400 mts before and applied my brakes. it came down to around 40kmph speed before my brakes got locked.at that speed my mind didn't work to release the brakes a bit and apply again. My car had a skid for about 100mts and hit one of the vehicles

I had worn the seatbelt just five minutes before after having forgotten to wear it after my previous stop. That action of mine was my life saver.
All 4 people in my car escaped unhurt except for my wife who was sitting behind me. she got some 3 cuts and she got 8 stiches totally in 3 different places. The vehicle which i hit was a UV and its guards protected that and damaged my vehicle. My M800 had become a nano

Luckily for me the engine is still starting. the car has been towed back to bangalore and I'm now going to check the damages.
After this incident my next car would be certainly a car with ABS.
Seat belt ki jai.

Looks like it was still dark when this mishap occured. I visit mysore quite often since its my hometown and even i find it difficult to remember the spots with speed breakers, they are dynamic and keep changing.

When i had my previous car (zen) and if its dark, i made it a rule not to cross 80 KMPH. My new car is equipped with ABS and it does help.

My parents own an 800 (last few sold in bangalore) and its of the same color as yours , i have driven it quite a bit. If i were you, i will always remember the lack of brake boosters in an 800 and to maintain one and a half times more distance than other modern cars would.
Old 27th July 2010, 11:17   #6453
Distinguished - BHPian

you are absolutely right.
Now...we have many similarities.Mysore is my hometown as well
Even I can't remember these dynamically changing humps.

Things that went against me:
Tyres were rather old...I was discussing of tyre replacement just the previous day and was in the process of shortlisting the next tyres.
There was a slight drizzle
There were some sand particles at that particular spot.
My brakes got locked and in that time I couldn't "pump" the brakes.

Things that went in favour of me:
It was a straight stretch and I could see the cars braking and I could bring my vehicle to half the speed.
I had worn sealt belt.
I hit the stronger of the vehicles. The other car was a hatchback

Well... we can do a lot of analysis after the accident.But in the end, an unfortunate incident happened but I'm lucky nothing serious happened.
My mind will definitely be a lot more careful after this incident.
Below is the song that i'm humming at present
Aaallll izzzz well!!!
Old 27th July 2010, 11:38   #6454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
Looks like it was still dark when this mishap occured. I visit mysore quite often since its my hometown and even i find it difficult to remember the spots with speed breakers, they are dynamic and keep changing.

When i had my previous car (zen) and if its dark, i made it a rule not to cross 80 KMPH. My new car is equipped with ABS and it does help.

My parents own an 800 (last few sold in bangalore) and its of the same color as yours , i have driven it quite a bit. If i were you, i will always remember the lack of brake boosters in an 800 and to maintain one and a half times more distance than other modern cars would.
Good that this stopped at just a damaged vehicle and a few bruises and cuts.Mysore road is one the most dangerous and poorly planned roads that I have been in.

Speedbreakers come up everywhere ...even in blind corners!!There are intersections at blind turns ...the road has no bankings at a few places..the list can go on and on ..
Old 27th July 2010, 16:08   #6455
BHPian

Witnessed on Sunday (late morining) at Indiranagar, on the road on which Heritage Grocery is located. The Indicabbie was turning into a by-lane with a huge radius, which is against the rules, and in the process got banged by a water tanker. Minor damage, only the rear bumper got twisted.
Name:  accdnt.png
Views: 3729
Size:  9.4 KB
It was clearly the Indicabbie's fault, but the Tanker driver could definitely have braked in time. The Indicabbie made a call, and 5 minutes later, a traffic constable arrived and started questioning.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-25072010311.jpg
Some guy who was in the tanker (R) and the Indicabbie (L)
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-25072010314.jpg
Twisted bumper.

EDIT: Delay in posting pics.

**EDIT**: Back with the pics.

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 27th July 2010 at 16:16.
Old 27th July 2010, 19:41   #6456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
The Indicabbie made a call, and 5 minutes later, a traffic constable arrived and started questioning.
I am impressed !

Somehow I am not sad for either of the two. Majority of the cabbies are rash. They could have atleast parked on the shoulder to avoid a blockage.
Old 27th July 2010, 19:48   #6457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I am impressed !

Somehow I am not sad for either of the two. Majority of the cabbies are rash. They could have atleast parked on the shoulder to avoid a blockage.
Indeed. It was clearly the cabbie's fault for taking a turn of a larger radius too soon. Maybe he wanted a case registered against himself!
Old 27th July 2010, 20:19   #6458
Senior - BHPian

According to the TOI dated today, a family of four traveling by bike was hit by two drunks driving an Accent who then tried to run away, unaware that the woman riding pillion on the bike had landed on their boot and was hanging on for dear life. The enraged public chased and cornered them, then the driver was dragged out and beaten black and blue. They also turned the car upside down. The Police say if they had not arrived in time and taken the driver and co-passenger in to custody, the mob would have lynched them.

Hit by car, mom and baby land on its boot, survive - Chennai - City - The Times of India
Old 27th July 2010, 20:47   #6459
BHPian

A brand new i10 automatic at pattom traffic police station,an elder person was killed in accident involving this car

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc04259.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc04260.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc04261.jpg

came to know about it's story through a relative.this car belonged to a neighbor of his friend

the elder guy was happily driving a Maruti 800 for sometime,his son decided to upgrade it an automatic car as it would be easy for use but it turned out in the other way as it rammed into some post/wall when he pushed accelerator pedal too hard forgetting about no clutch
Old 27th July 2010, 20:59   #6460
Senior - BHPian

My condolances to the affected family. The i10 crash does not look to be of that severity as a death should occur but I am complelled to ask about seatbeats. was the elderly gentleman wearing them ?

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th July 2010 at 02:56. Reason: typo corrected on request
Old 27th July 2010, 21:54   #6461
BHPian

My heart filled condolences. I feel very, very sore. My grandpa sits besides me as I'm typing him, and he too feels very sad about this. If only he had been wearing his seatbelt.
BTW, when I 1st saw the pic, I thought the i10 had banged into a pedestrian and the pedestrian died. Didn't expect the driver to die in such an accident.
Old 27th July 2010, 22:08   #6462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, when I 1st saw the pic, I thought the i10 had banged into a pedestrian
The pedestrian in question being IronMan?
Old 27th July 2010, 22:28   #6463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Just saw this on TV, an ANHC runs over PWD workers in Delhi. 2 workers killed and 7 injured.

looks like the guys were racing to another car that had hit the rediwala a minute back.

Heres the link to NDTV website. Delhi: Car runs over labourers, 2 dead

I have seen workers often work in the middle of the road with plastic cones ( chicanes ) placed either side to warn motorists. This I believe is for civilised societty. For our brash, power-drunk society, 4 ton massive concrete blocks must be placed on either side of workers to protect them from such maniacal drivers.
Old 27th July 2010, 22:32   #6464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
The pedestrian in question being IronMan?
Not exactly. Something like the car going out of control, then on a rampage killing a pedestrian.
Old 27th July 2010, 22:33   #6465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not exactly. Something like the car going out of control, then on a rampage killing a pedestrian.
Cheers mate! I was joking anyway

Most Viewed