Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2010, 22:38   #6556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Saw this on the Leh-Manali highway. The Innova taxi had rammed into an oncoming truck at a blind curve.
Maruti Suzuki Motor Sports, Raid Official, hmm.. Looks like it was some recce mishap.
Old 7th August 2010, 04:49   #6557
Senior - BHPian

Very ironical, but the taxi has this written on top of the windscreen:
MOUNTAIN RIDER: Experience the Himalaya Face to Face.

Unfortunately it literally happened!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Saw this on the Leh-Manali highway. The Innova taxi had rammed into an oncoming truck at a blind curve.
Old 7th August 2010, 17:25   #6558
BHPian

Saw this outside Tollygunge Police Station. Pic was taken ages ago. Wonder what managed to do this to an Endevour!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-picture13.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-picture18.jpg  

Old 8th August 2010, 01:20   #6559
abk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post
A brand new i10 automatic at pattom traffic police station,an elder person was killed in accident involving this car

came to know about it's story through a relative.this car belonged to a neighbor of his friend

the elder guy was happily driving a Maruti 800 for sometime,his son decided to upgrade it an automatic car as it would be easy for use but it turned out in the other way as it rammed into some post/wall when he pushed accelerator pedal too hard forgetting about no clutch
What is the usual practice of driving an automatic? I have recently started driving an automatic (BMW 540i) from manual. My friend advised me to use only the right foot to switch between the accelerator and brake. Left foot rests always on the dead pedal. I thought his suggestion was very sensible & would ensure that i don't get in a bad entangle when switching over to manual. Am i correct?
Old 8th August 2010, 01:36   #6560
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's a standard hint for acclimatizing to auto pedals:
Keep the left leg tucked back, foot near the seat, nowhere near the pedals.
If you put it on that dead pedal (I prefer to call it a footrest!) you can be sure that it will move to clutch as you break, or do a manual change with the selector lever. Keep it away from the pedals until it has learnt that it is not part of the driving process.
Old 8th August 2010, 01:41   #6561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk View Post
What is the usual practice of driving an automatic? I have recently started driving an automatic (BMW 540i) from manual. My friend advised me to use only the right foot to switch between the accelerator and brake. Left foot rests always on the dead pedal. I thought his suggestion was very sensible & would ensure that i don't get in a bad entangle when switching over to manual. Am i correct?
Yep, that's how it is supposed to be. And your right foot continues to perform the duties as it would in a manual tranny.
Whenever a friend who hasn't driven an automatic, takes my car for a spin, I tell him/her not to use the left foot at all and also, ask for a brake check within a few meters of taking off. That way we ensure that the correct footwork takes place.
Old 8th August 2010, 12:17   #6562
Senior - BHPian

Car hits train at un-manned level cross - Kerala

Four dies when an Indica Taxi was hit by a train while crossing an un-manned level cross near Maararikkulam- Kerala - Just a couple of hours back

A dutch couple who were staying in a private resort was going to a hospital in a taxi, accompanied by one staff of the resort.

The Taxi was NEW and was operating ONLY since yesterday. TV spokesman was saying that it was indeed his very first trip. Stupid dumb driver.

Last edited by clevermax : 8th August 2010 at 12:20.
Old 8th August 2010, 12:49   #6563
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Four dies when an Indica Taxi was hit by a train while crossing an un-manned level cross near Maararikkulam- Kerala - Just a couple of hours back

A dutch couple who were staying in a private resort was going to a hospital in a taxi, accompanied by one staff of the resort.

The Taxi was NEW and was operating ONLY since yesterday. TV spokesman was saying that it was indeed his very first trip. Stupid dumb driver.
Horrifying news indeed.
Breaking news in almost all regional news channels.
Should be the cab driver's fault.
Old 9th August 2010, 11:05   #6564
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod : Please discuss only automotive accidents on this thread. Thanks
Old 9th August 2010, 13:21   #6565
Senior - BHPian

It still happens in India !!

It happened at Mararikulam , happened in an watch gate less rail cross , 4 people including 2 German nationalities passed away , they where rushing to the hospital from Mararikulam beach resort.

The German couples have adopted 2 orphan kids from India and they came to spend the week end in Kerala. By the way the German mother Kathrine Suzzane had severe stomach ache and the taxi driver was rushing with the couples to hospital , a hotel employee was accompanying them , all the 4 passed away may their souls rest in peace , But the Orphan children became Orphans again lets pray for them.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-tr.jpg  

Old 9th August 2010, 16:44   #6566
Distinguished - BHPian

This article from The Hindu carries a close-up picture of what is left of the car.
Old 10th August 2010, 16:05   #6567
BHPian

8 charred to death in Tuticorin road mishap

Eight people were charred to death when the car in which they were travelling hit a truck near Manjanaickenpatti bridge on the Tuticorin-Madurai National Four Lane Highway, here early today.
Police said the mishap occurred at 0430 hrs when the Toyota Qualis car rammed into the truck loaded with some material (mentioned as Gypsum in other daily, the Truck was stopped in road side to attend a rear wheel puncture). Due to the impact of the collision, the fuel tank of the car ruptured and caught fire engulfing the occupants of the car.
The truck was partly gutted in the fire, forcing the closure of the busy highway in the early morning for a couple of hours. The driver and the cleaner of the truck managed to escape with injuries. They were admitted to the Government Hospital (GH) at Tuticorin. Senior police officials rushed to the spot and removed the charred bodies that were beyond recognition to the GH. The identity of the deceased was not known as the car was completely gutted in the fire. Even the number plate of the car was not visible to identify the vehicle details, police added.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-tuticorinaccidentdeath__3_.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-tuticorinaccidentdeath.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-tuticorinaccidentdeath__1_.jpg  

Old 10th August 2010, 16:10   #6568
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

Scary, but not so shocking. I always check on either side before driving through railway crossings...whether manned or unmanned.
Old 10th August 2010, 16:22   #6569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
Eight people were charred to death when the car in which they were travelling hit a truck near Manjanaickenpatti bridge on the Tuticorin-Madurai National Four Lane Highway, here early today.
Police said the mishap occurred at 0430 hrs when the Toyota Qualis car rammed into the truck loaded with some material (mentioned as Gypsum in other daily,............................................ ........................................ Even the number plate of the car was not visible to identify the vehicle details, police added.
Seems like an Innova to me. From the A and C pillars. Not a Qualis for sure.
Old 10th August 2010, 17:53   #6570
Senior - BHPian

@TeddyBear: This is a very sad incident. I would guess the truck might not have used his hard light while stationary and this car (looks Innova for me too) crashed in. Were there any survivors? Or was it 8 were travelling and all 8 died?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks