Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2010, 17:34   #6616
Senior - BHPian

I have no sympathy for those at the wheel. I sympathize those who were travelling along.

So far In my best Experience, I have not seen a costly car (Skodas and Above) do 80/90 . I have always seen them speeding. (This is my experience).

The same with the Indica crashing with the train and killing germans. A train makes lot of noise, and honks at every unmanned Level crossing.

I am sure the driver thought he could outrun the train, like Jason Statham in Transporter 3. "Give Way" is the only Mantra to safe drive.

On 90/100 occassions, poeple DONT give way to others

Whenever I see a potential threat on the highway, Tractors, 2 wheelers and similar, I honk / Flash Lights and then overtake. If it is a heard of cows, I slow down to 30 kmph and navigate accordingly (wiggle or honk and give way to cows).

This act has made me a safe driver. Trust me.

My Favorite Quote "Anyone can drive at 300 kmph. It is controlling the car at that speed that matters."
Old 15th August 2010, 17:59   #6617
BHPian

It is one of the safest SUVs. Even after this crash...see people survived...it is a total loss though...mad driving...people have to be responsible.....
Old 15th August 2010, 18:58   #6618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That is not what vinaydas said: you have to read his entire equation.

Mind you, this does not appear to be any sort of SUV stability problem here, just a complete moron who would probably have done the same thing (at even greater speed?) in a low-slung Porsche

I wish that the pain in this guy's ribs might prompt him to get some driving lessons!
Needless to say , I adore Rovers but She definitely deserved a better owner.
I think i may be the first person to say this "may her soul rest in Peace"
Old 15th August 2010, 23:01   #6619
BHPian

With that much impact and most of the crumple zones and body part gone, I doubt if there is any other option than to Total this LR-RR. Repairing at this level may lead to a compromise on structural integrity.

The owner might get a new LR-RR again, but a crore rupees has just gone down the drain.
Only if that vehicle could speak its plight....
Old 15th August 2010, 23:13   #6620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Insurance should come into play here.
And that looks like a total loss to me. Not sure though.

Regards.
From what I heard ..this RR didnt have the insurance ...dunno how true this is .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gov626 View Post
Hey Guys,

Apparently the driver was doing excess of 200kmph when this happend. He was overtaking a series of vehicles on a bridge when he lost control and rammed into the beam of the bridge.
No Offence to anyone ..but can guarantee that even a F1 car cant do 200 on this stretch
Old 15th August 2010, 23:53   #6621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
From what I heard ..this RR didnt have the insurance ...dunno how true this is .

No Offence to anyone ..but can guarantee that even a F1 car cant do 200 on this stretch
but dont you think its impossible to damage a car as mighty as the RR to this extent if he wasnt at speeds excess of 200 ?
I myself was involved in a car accident in oman about 6 years back when our Toyota Prado was hit by a truck at almost 180, i still live to tell the tale and i assure you that it took the hit better than the RR.
Old 16th August 2010, 00:06   #6622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasher26 View Post
My friends civic in Mumbai. Driver took a uturn at hughes road. Car was moving outside Ajinkya Hospital building (being broken down for redevelopment) . Outer wall comes crashing down on the car. Driver was pulled out of the car from the window. Escapes unhurt. Friend is saved because she got off on the opposite side of the road.

Now after the accident the builder has put road blocks a few feet away from the wall. Ironic that flats are sold for lakhs of rupees a square feet but safety is given no importance
As I see the car is not outside the police station anymore, there is just a black crv typical theft recovery, hope that is claimed by the owner fast. Hope your friend has claimed from the builder the part not recovered from insurance. There are single digit no. of developers having projects in South Mumbai area, with some good cashbooks so wouldnt really haggle.
Off the record- on my visit to one of them, the cash counting machine went on for a good 15 mins
Old 16th August 2010, 01:09   #6623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
And that looks like a total loss to me. Not sure though.
Regards.
A Total Loss it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
The owner of this car is from thrissur and he was dring it from blore when it happened , he survived the accident with 2 broken ribs and is fine now
Foby, this happened at around 1-2 at night. I cant remember who got hurt but i do know the rear seat was filled with girls and one dislocated her hip. Cant recall what happened to the rest but the driver did break a few ribs! Needless to say all were drunk and were testing the top speed. The cops were prepared to pull out bodies and were surprised when they saw live people! And he was not going anywhere near blore. He was just dropping people home after a night out!

There is a slight curve before the kulur bridge. I suspect he tried taking it and drifted off-course after going over gravel(found in abundance at that spot *duh!*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
The owner might get a new LR-RR again, but a crore rupees has just gone down the drain.
Not many people have heard from the owner after his lil' stunt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Seedsatya, we have done over 200 on that stretch in the lancer and cbr so its very much possible. You just need to know when to slowdown. The RR guy tried pushing his luck and paid for it. Sheer irresponsible behavior!!
Hey is it posible to get temp reg without insurance?

The car had been seen being driven recklessly in mangalore every evening for over a month. So not many people were surprised when he crashed. Do you know where diesel cafe @ balmatta is? there is a sudden dip in the road and our man nearly toppled the car there a few days prior to this.

Cheers!

Last edited by james : 16th August 2010 at 01:10.
Old 16th August 2010, 01:42   #6624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Rangies were never performance oriented so high speed maneuvers are a big no no , as is the case with almost all SUV's.

Clearly The Driver Did had no idea about the Limitations of his car.
Be it a SUV or a sports car, doing 200 KMPH on dual line is disastrous, it will give no time for the driver to think and take a decision in a dangerous situation.
Range rover has better suspension, which might have save the vehicle from topple upside down.
Old 16th August 2010, 01:55   #6625
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Needless to say all were drunk and were testing the top speed.
Doesn't this change the equations about the insurance claim?
Old 16th August 2010, 02:55   #6626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The car had been seen being driven recklessly in mangalore every evening for over a month. So not many people were surprised when he crashed. Do you know where diesel cafe @ balmatta is? there is a sudden dip in the road and our man nearly toppled the car there a few days prior to this.
What a shame that the law cannot keep, or is not interested in keeping, people like this off the roads.
Old 16th August 2010, 08:29   #6627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seedsatya, we have done over 200 on that stretch in the lancer and cbr so its very much possible but it was Sheer irresponsible behavior!
This is what your sentence should actually have read. Driving at 200kmph at the Autobahn might be alright, but in India, is criminal.
Old 16th August 2010, 10:43   #6628
BHPian

The first major damage to my car!

Amidst the major accidents, here my small one.

A reversing truck rammed into the back side of my parked Wagon R at my client's factory compound. The driver said he couldn't 'see' the car and there was no helper either. The security guard narrated the horror story. Its the first major damage to my car.

My client was cooperative enough to deal with the transporter, who said he would reimburse my expenses. But as it goes, there are some hassles about 'who' will pay. There are multiple levels of transport agents, who work on commission basis.

The car is now with 'Autokraft', a Maruti service station. Here's the pic after damage.

I did't want to claim insurance since I would be losing my NCB and transporter had promised to pay. Just a question on this, is there any depreciation on the glass parts in case of insurance? (windshield, rear glass, windows)
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-13082010-small.jpg  

Last edited by aroop : 16th August 2010 at 10:45. Reason: Resizing the picture
Old 16th August 2010, 11:40   #6629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post
Just a question on this, is there any depreciation on the glass parts in case of insurance? (windshield, rear glass, windows)
Yes, there is, it's 50%.
Old 16th August 2010, 11:48   #6630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post
Is there any depreciation on the glass parts in case of insurance? (windshield, rear glass, windows)

Hello

I once changed my windshield and claimed the insurance, there is no depreciation for glass articles and i was paid 100 % amount of the windshield price though the beeding and the paste which they use will have depreciation and those doesnt cost much, i do not remember about the labour charges if they had approved 100 % or any depreciation involved.

Most Viewed