Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2010, 11:41   #7156
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
Saw this accident yesterday. It happened near Hyderabad Central University. Don't know about the casuality. It happened in the night. By looking at the incident seems like the driver might have gone asleep. Because it is a straight road and noway he can hit the divider.
Seems like an i10. Sad.
Old 16th December 2010, 14:29   #7157
BHPian

Accidents caught in CCTV live in namma Bengaluru

Old 16th December 2010, 15:00   #7158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post
Accidents caught in CCTV live in namma Bengaluru
where did you find that! awesome - Bangalore traffic in a nutshell!
Old 16th December 2010, 18:44   #7159
BHPian

Crashed Cruze near Aleppey. Clicked by a friend. Only know that all the passengers survived.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-cruze1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-cruze2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-cruze4.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-cruze3.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-cruze5.jpg  

Old 16th December 2010, 23:48   #7160
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday night around 11 I was checking some travelogues on TBHP heard a loud thud and screaching noice. I did not bother much, but after few seconds I sensed something is wrong. I locked my house and ran to downstairs, saw a guy on road and few people around. He was riding a RX 100 and could not negotiate a turn and hit divider. His face (lips had a cross cut) and hand was injured. He was riding under the influence of alchohol and was doing good speed. Luckily he was wearing helmet. None of the other motorists bothered about the accident or the injured guy. 2 patroling policemen came and those people did not even get down from their motorcycle. With the help of an autodriver and other guy took him to the nearest hospital. Due to trauma he kept on uttering something during the whole initial treatment at the hospital. We took the some number from his phone and informed some of his relatives and friends about it. Waited till two of his friends to arrive the hospital.

When we asked the policemen what to do with the bike they replied "leave it somewhere near the spot" ..what an answer!!. There was no major damage, I took it to my house and parked safely and informed his friend and gave my contact number.

During the whole incident no one from nearby houses came out (its a residential area) and the behavior of the cops were bad and did not help at all. Kudos to the auto driver and other guy (poor chap was on the way to hosur for some important work).

After the whole incident when I was coming back home, saw the same policemen stopping motorists and checking (minting money!!! for sure).

-0-

DRIVE/RIDE SAFE

Last edited by Latheesh : 16th December 2010 at 23:56.
Old 16th December 2010, 23:55   #7161
Senior - BHPian

^^Kudos to you oh Good Samaritan for helping out the unknown. We can expect the Police to react that way since, like you said, the rider just had a cut here and there. A fatality, and things would have been different. We need more of you and less of the drunks on the road.
Old 17th December 2010, 00:09   #7162
Senior - BHPian

In a gruesome accident involving an Innova and a Tipper at Kochi, five youngsters were killed and five others got injured, one critically. The tipper driver fled the scene, it is reported
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident_309437f.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 17th December 2010 at 00:11.
Old 17th December 2010, 00:24   #7163
Senior - BHPian

Personal experience of a dreadful bike accident under the influence of alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Yesterday night around 11 I was checking some travelogues on TBHP heard a loud thud and screaching noice. I did not bother much, but after few seconds I sensed something is wrong. I locked my house and ran to downstairs, saw a guy on road and few people around. He was riding a RX 100 and could not negotiate a turn and hit divider. His face (lips had a cross cut) and hand was injured. He was riding under the influence of alchohol and was doing good speed. Luckily he was wearing helmet. None of the other motorists bothered about the accident or the injured guy. 2 patroling policemen came and those people did not even get down from their motorcycle. With the help of an autodriver and other guy took him to the nearest hospital. Due to trauma he kept on uttering something during the whole initial treatment at the hospital. We took the some number from his phone and informed some of his relatives and friends about it. Waited till two of his friends to arrive the hospital.

When we asked the policemen what to do with the bike they replied "leave it somewhere near the spot" ..what an answer!!. There was no major damage, I took it to my house and parked safely and informed his friend and gave my contact number.

During the whole incident no one from nearby houses came out (its a residential area) and the behavior of the cops were bad and did not help at all. Kudos to the auto driver and other guy (poor chap was on the way to hosur for some important work).

After the whole incident when I was coming back home, saw the same policemen stopping motorists and checking (minting money!!! for sure).

-0-

DRIVE/RIDE SAFE
Kudos to you man!
Drunken driving is almost similar to suicide. I had a horrible accident while driving my new bike about 7 years ago when I was totally drunk.
I was going above 100 kmph towards Nandi hills at midnight. Suddenly at a curve, a truck came out of nowhere with one one headlight. I noticed it very late, tried to avoid it and turned the bike towards the left, lost control and hit the side of the road and flew off from the bike!

I am lucky to be still alive! I spent 26 days in the ICU at Manipal hospital which was kind of a record at the hospital for a person coming out alive - at least the nurses told me so

Jokes apart, I still remember the night of the accident. I was lying on the road with blood all over. My friend who was the pillion helped me to stand on my feet somehow and limp to the side of the road. He himself had a broken shoulder but somehow managed to help me out. Then he screamed for HELP!
Remember, this was around 1 o'clock in the midnight and outside Bangalore, Some local guys were luckily hanging around and they came for our help.
We tried to stop some of the cars asking for a lift to the nearest hospital!
Most of the cars did not even bother to stop. Only one car stopped but for some reason, refused to take me.
When nothing worked, I was somehow taken on my own bike to the nearby hospital. The bike did not have too much of a damage as it stopped at the spot of the accident.

It has been a long time since then but whenever I remember that night, it sends a chill in the spine. Alcohol is fine but keep away from the driver's seat.

I am pretty sure that this would not have happened if I had not consumed alcohol.

First of all, the idea of driving towards Nandi hills at midnight would not have come to my mind.
I would have been doing much saner speeds and not the crazy speeds I were doing.
My reflexes would have been much better in case of some emergency.

This is a pretty long post. If someone reading this post has a change in mind, it will serve the purpose ! I learnt it the hard way but I sincerely hope that is not the case with anyone else!

And Latheesh, kudos to you again! We need people like you to make the world a better place to live! I do not know any of those guys who saved my life that night (along with my friend) - must have been some good-hearted souls like you!

Last edited by adimicra : 17th December 2010 at 00:29.
Old 17th December 2010, 01:55   #7164
BHPian

the innova accident is bad, was reading the article on tipper accidents in kerala at manorama and lawlessness prevails.

Manorama Online | Malayalam News |

These things are going to happen again when people are not afraid of law and when they know they can buy the police. World around its the same. I am driving in the US and realized there are bad drivers here too, but its just that they dont try to act smart beyond a point because the cops are on the right side of law. I saw a lexus driving past me at above 80mph at a 65mph zone and in not less than a couple of seconds he was chased and stopped by the cops in front of me. No bribe nothing, he had to pay fine and he drove slower. Can we imagine something like that in india ? I am trying to figure out some way to get some support in India to ensure the law enforcers are always on the right side of doing things. (would require some amendments to existing police force style of functioning and won't happen overnight) Once that happens, these issues would reduce a big way.
Old 17th December 2010, 13:17   #7165
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Personal experience of a dreadful bike accident under the influence of alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Drunken driving is almost similar to suicide.
Very often it is also equivalent to murder.

Good to know that you learnt the lesson and are now trying to pass it on to others. kudos to you!
Old 17th December 2010, 13:43   #7166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
Saw this accident yesterday. It happened near Hyderabad Central University. Don't know about the casuality. It happened in the night. By looking at the incident seems like the driver might have gone asleep. Because it is a straight road and noway he can hit the divider.
The car in question (i10?) must have had a high speed dead front crash.
Old 17th December 2010, 14:04   #7167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
Crashed Cruze near Aleppey. Clicked by a friend. Only know that all the passengers survived.
This Cruze was posted already few pages back.

@Sid: Yes, that's an i10.
Old 17th December 2010, 14:31   #7168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
In a gruesome accident involving an Innova and a Tipper at Kochi, five youngsters were killed and five others got injured, one critically. The tipper driver fled the scene, it is reported
According to the news there were 10 persons in this innova where 5 passed away and 5 survived , they were returning after a Mysore trip.
Old 17th December 2010, 15:04   #7169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
According to the news there were 10 persons in this innova where 5 passed away and 5 survived , they were returning after a Mysore trip.
Yes true, I meant, out of the injured one was very seriously injured.
The Tipper was at fault as it was crossing the bypass road at the live signal (In Manorama quoting the police)

What I feel is these lights do not function after about 10PM till 06AM but only the Yellow would blink which is very dangerous. Instead of look and proceed it generally is proceed and look if alive. End result similar sad accidents.
Old 17th December 2010, 15:14   #7170
Senior - BHPian

Re: Personal experience of a dreadful bike accident under the influence of alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
^^Kudos to you oh Good Samaritan for helping out the unknown. We can expect the Police to react that way since, like you said, the rider just had a cut here and there. A fatality, and things would have been different. We need more of you and less of the drunks on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Kudos to you man!
Drunken driving is almost similar to suicide.
And Latheesh, kudos to you again! We need people like you to make the world a better place to live! I do not know any of those guys who saved my life that night (along with my friend) - must have been some good-hearted souls like you!
He learnt the lesson hard way. I returned the bike to his friend, it did not have any major damage.

Last edited by Latheesh : 17th December 2010 at 15:30.

Most Viewed