Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2010, 15:24   #7171
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
Dear Justwheels, It was me who happened to sleep with my pregnant wife in the front seat. I will give you a bit more information on the incident so that you can upgrade me from 'irresponsible person' to an 'idiot'

During my graduation and post graduation, I was very much attached to my native place, family, relatives and friends there at Kochi. I was not that much bright in studies.. but since the ministry had announced that the first rank holder of that tough course will get posting wherever he want in india !! My sleepless two years made me to win the first rank in the tough competition with a clear margin of about 4% marks !!

But, unfortunately I got posted to Hyderabad. Even though I was really disappointed, I did not leave. Another unforgettable three years of effort resulted in a transfer to Kochi, my native place.

Since my first two years of sleepless studies for first rank had already made me a true hardworker, my three years in Hyderabad was really thrilling in terms of achievements to the company(government). Due to this reason, during the previous two days of my farewell, there were so many colleagues visiting my house for saying good-bye to me. We were also so overwhelmed with joy since the last five years of effort has become fruitful and we are joining back to support my poor family with only father working and having six sisters. In between all these visitors, we managed to do the packing of all items to my maruti 800 car (which was the first ever car in our family- for generations). So, the previous day night, we could not sleep well.

On the day of travel, we started at 05.00 am in the morning. Since my wife was pregnant and travelling with me, I was very careful while driving. To rule out any possibility of sleeping while driving, myself and wife engaged in (cultural) competitions etc continuously while driving. One of them was to sing the 'janaganamana' without any mistakes in the shortest possible time. This kind of talking, competitions and washing face etc continued. We were driving slowly and we were planning to reach Bangalore from Hyderabad in more than 15 hours. Even with all these precautions, my friends, the incident occured.

That is the reason why I was warning all my friends through some of my posts that one will never realise that he is sleeping while driving. Some stretch of road will not be in his memory ... that's all.

This can happen to anybody even with any efforts to prevent sleeping. The only way to prevent such incidents is to sleep well before the journey. Take breaks 'sufficient enough' during the journey also.

The continuing visits of all my loving friends during the last days was so sweet to remember for me, but had this negative aspect.

And the last piece of info, my first son (whom wife was carrying during this incident) is studying for BTech now !!! THANK GOD FOR ALL....

It happened to me-after buying my first bike with my own salary, HONDA UNICORN, I used to cover the distance between Trichy and Bangalore in around 5hours. This was in 2005 and the bike could touch 125kmph max. I always loved speed and dared to do my trips only in the dead of the night. Only during the monsoons did I breach the 6hour 30 min barrier for the rides,else clocking anywhere between 4hr40 mins and 5hr 25 mins for the REGULAR 346Km trips.After a tiresome night ride, I once shut my eyes, just 15 kms away from home and I heard a loud honk just into my ears.I woke up and found myself on the extreme right side of the road and saw a Karur bound bus whizzing past me.I managed to stop the bike. I never once dared to ride/drive when I felt sleepy after that. After getting my car, I once stopped in a forest area near Sathyamangalam around 11:30 in the night,for nearly 2 hours and started the car after reassuring that I can do the distance.I feared no Veerappan or his remnant bands, but I did fear my sleepy eyes. After I bought my Swift, I once took 9 hours on my way back to Chennai, just because my eyes needed a 4.5 hours sleep. Im still a highway/night rider/driver. But the only thing that Im scared of is my sleepy eyes. For I know that I have done the "MILES TO GO" before I slept off on the wheel
Old 17th December 2010, 15:29   #7172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Yes true, I meant, out of the injured one was very seriously injured.
The Tipper was at fault as it was crossing the bypass road at the live signal (In Manorama quoting the police)

What I feel is these lights do not function after about 10PM till 06AM but only the Yellow would blink which is very dangerous. Instead of look and proceed it generally is proceed and look if alive. End result similar sad accidents.
This signal light is always on as there are lot of pick up/drop cabs travel to Infopark throughout the night. I have stopped at this signal many times at 3-4am.

Last edited by coolclouds : 17th December 2010 at 15:30.
Old 17th December 2010, 20:22   #7173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
This signal light is always on as there are lot of pick up/drop cabs travel to Infopark throughout the night. I have stopped at this signal many times at 3-4am.
The problem is, I have seen in Bangalore & Kovai, past 10 PM no body cares for the one-way or lights. We still live in age old assumptions.

It was way back in Bangalore 1996, I was thrown unconscious by 2 different bikers on Hosur Road (near Langfort Road.) Thanks to God sent 2 people, I have no clues, but I guided them back to my home with fractured colar bone and a dislocated shoulder. I mean it, I have no idea how I managed that till date and absolutely no idea who those 2 angels are. Best is, they claimed that they knew me!!!

As for those 2 bikers, they ran away with one leaving behind his bike. Both were on opposite sides trying to avoid each other and drove into me.

No, I was not drunk and when partying I make sure I don't drink and help my pals reach home safe.

Kudos to Latheesh.
Old 18th December 2010, 00:18   #7174
Senior - BHPian

Saw a White Swift with after-market white alloys. Had crashed near the HAL Museum (at the exit from the HAL quarters which is used as a shortcut from CV Raman Nagar/Kaggadaspura area).

Was in pretty bad shape, and the police was there with a tow-truck to tow it away. This was around 1:30AM on Thursday (16/12). Didn't get any pics, though. Did anyone else see this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Very often it is also equivalent to murder.

Good to know that you learnt the lesson and are now trying to pass it on to others. kudos to you!
Very well put. My sentiments exactly.
Old 18th December 2010, 09:58   #7175
Senior - BHPian

Saw a burnt 800 on the road connecting the GGN expressway to Dhaula Kuan, around 4 pm yesterday.
It caused a huge jam. By the time I reached it, they were towing it away.
Old 18th December 2010, 15:22   #7176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
that is one horrible accident. the steering column is where the driver should be!! look at the dashboard - its been ripped off! even the engine has come off its mounts and lying on the ground with other parts strewn all over the place!

must have been a head-on collision; maybe someone came on to the wrong side.
It is not a head on collision. This guy hit the divider, that is all. I am yet to figure out how this much damge happened to the car.
Old 18th December 2010, 15:45   #7177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
It is not a head on collision. This guy hit the divider, that is all. I am yet to figure out how this much damge happened to the car.
Yet another i10 'surprisingly' damaged. Now, I'm seeing more and more i10's behaving so fragile. Pedestrian Safety norms?.
Old 19th December 2010, 20:03   #7178
Senior - BHPian

Badly t-boned verna CRDI.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo1691.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo1692.jpg  

Old 19th December 2010, 23:29   #7179
Senior - BHPian

I would say the verna in the above post took the impact well. Look at the below pic of a Toyota Innova that was just chipped from the side by a 'Tipper Lorry' (This was not even a full 90 degree side impact). 5 people died in this accident.

Toyota fans please forgive, but I don't see even a side impact beam in this picture. If somebody is 'pricing cars higher than normal', the least we would expect is some safety features. Or Am I being too harsh? Would any car be mangled in an accident like this? Your comments are welcome.

The Hindu : Cities / Kochi : Five killed in accident
Attached Images
File Type: bmp InnovaAccident.bmp (806.9 KB, 1779 views)

Last edited by jinojohnt : 19th December 2010 at 23:31.
Old 19th December 2010, 23:37   #7180
BHPian

^^^I feel the car must have been cut hastily to get the occupants out of the mess, this might not be the just-after-mishap pics. I am pretty sure.
Old 19th December 2010, 23:45   #7181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Yesterday night around 11 I was checking some travelogues on TBHP heard a loud thud and screaching noice.
Are you living somewhere around in HSR layout by any chance??
Old 19th December 2010, 23:54   #7182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post
Accidents caught in CCTV live in namma Bengaluru
That was very nice but the soundtrack during the first half was highly irritable. Don't you agree?

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 19th December 2010 at 23:55.
Old 20th December 2010, 11:02   #7183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
^^^I feel the car must have been cut hastily to get the occupants out of the mess, this might not be the just-after-mishap pics. I am pretty sure.
In that case the seats would not appear mangled, right? Seat displacement is a sign of floor disintegration. Please check the roof and floor also (both are bent), it sure looks like they were bent by the impact of the accident - they do not look like the ones that were cut to rescue people.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 20th December 2010 at 11:09.
Old 20th December 2010, 11:16   #7184
BHPian

I feel we do not have enough data to pass judgement here. From the picture of Verna looks like it hit a tree (or a pole), judging from the profile of the hit, which is in contrast to the Innova which took a hit from a blunt object. Also the relative speeds of the objects in collision would be different. The tree or pole is stationary while Innova and the truck were moving. A tree would be able to absorb some impact when compared to an all metal truck.
Old 20th December 2010, 11:39   #7185
Senior - BHPian

About the Innova, I read that it rolled over a few times after being hit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks