Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2011, 19:28   #7246
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

spotted these two trucks on our trip to Pondicherry on Dec 30th - before reaching Tiruvannamalai. not sure if these two are related accidents, but these two were parked back to back:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00608.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00609.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00610.jpg
Old 3rd January 2011, 19:32   #7247
Senior - BHPian

Any idea what that brown thing is?? The one I have encircled in red. . .
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00608.jpg  

Old 3rd January 2011, 19:40   #7248
BHPian

This seems to be reflection of soft toy in IronHawk's car. First, I too thought that soemthing is stuck to diesel tank of truck
Old 3rd January 2011, 19:41   #7249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Seems to be reflection of a soft toy inside IronHawk's car
EDIT - saw DorD's post with same observation after submitting my post

Last edited by AlokSriva : 3rd January 2011 at 19:42.
Old 3rd January 2011, 19:43   #7250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like its a reflection of a toy thats kept on the dash of the car. Was that pic taken by you??

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 3rd January 2011 at 19:47. Reason: Jus saw the above posts reflecting my thoughts exactly ;)
Old 3rd January 2011, 19:43   #7251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
that's this guy:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imag1230.jpg

since the road was really bad, he kinda toppled over!

don't worry, he didn't cause the accident!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Looks like its a reflection of a toy thats kept on the dash of the car. Was that pic taken by you??
yep. always have my camera handy

Last edited by IronH4WK : 3rd January 2011 at 19:45.
Old 3rd January 2011, 20:13   #7252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
A driving instructor actually said that? I'm pleasantly surprised! Maybe our driving schools have started to improve after all!
When I was learning driving back in Kerala around 10 years back, my instructor told me to stay away from the green "aanavandi" [elephant bus] - thats the KeralaSRTC express bus and it has two elephants in the logo . I strictly follow this rule so far and will continue so. These bus drivers have to meet the time set by the office and they just dont care for any other vehicles in the road - so I just park the car to the side whenever I see those in my RVM !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
One reason I have never been comfortable on two wheels (I don't ride bikes off any sort) is the feeling of safety that I get from my four-wheeled metal box.
I find one more who shares exactly my thoughts - I just don't like bikes as it has no boxes around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
that's this guy:
Attachment 476418

since the road was really bad, he kinda toppled over!

don't worry, he didn't cause the accident!

yep. always have my camera handy
How does he manage to sit on the steering wheel?
Old 3rd January 2011, 20:34   #7253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
When I was learning driving back in Kerala around 10 years back, my instructor told me to stay away from the green "aanavandi" [elephant bus] - thats the KeralaSRTC express bus and it has two elephants in the logo. I strictly follow this rule so far and will continue so. These bus drivers have to meet the time set by the office and they just dont care for any other vehicles in the road - so I just park the car to the side whenever I see those in my RVM !
on my trip to Kochi on my CBZ to attend my cousin's wedding, just before reaching Pattikad, i was almost run over by one of 'em aana vandis. had to get off the shoulder and almost skidded and fell off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
How does he manage to sit on the steering wheel?
OT: the picture of him sitting on the steering wheel is a file photo. at the time the picture of the truck was taken, he was on the dashboard basking in the sun.

come on guys! leave my friend alone!
Old 4th January 2011, 01:07   #7254
BHPian

A pic from my accident!
Its an Alto, and I was sitting beside the driver, ended up with pieces of windshield in my face Really started appreciating air bags and ABS.
We were on our way back from Gorakhpur to Lucknow and it was about 8-9 late evening, the driver saw a diversion come out of nowhere so he turned left and smashed into a stationary DCM!!

BTW, the red spot and on the windshield is not blood but is a PRESS sticker thingy!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0014.jpg  

Old 4th January 2011, 01:48   #7255
Distinguished - BHPian

I would not like to have been in that car, although the crumple zone, which always looks the worse for it, seems to have done its job and protected the cabin.

Seat belts? More useful than ABS when something is so close there is no chance of not hitting it anyway.
Old 4th January 2011, 02:17   #7256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoriginal9321 View Post
A pic from my accident!
Its an Alto, and I was sitting beside the driver, ended up with pieces of windshield in my face Really started appreciating air bags and ABS.
We were on our way back from Gorakhpur to Lucknow and it was about 8-9 late evening, the driver saw a diversion come out of nowhere so he turned left and smashed into a stationary DCM!!

BTW, the red spot and on the windshield is not blood but is a PRESS sticker thingy!

That looks really bad. Hope you and the occupants were not badly hurt.

How was the driver's condition?? Yes, the crumple zones seem to have worked well. Anyways, good to hear that it is only the car that was damaged and you are fine.

Also, why does it always happen in U.P.? I have seen a brick wall in the middle of the road, a collapsed bridge with no signs notifying about it and believe it or not a rotary in the middle of the highway !!!

What exactly was the government or NHAI thinking??

Regards.
Old 4th January 2011, 02:29   #7257
BHPian

^^ we are fine now, this happened only a day after rakhsha bandhan. The driver was fine actually! As you can make out in the picture, the car had crashed a little bit towards the co-passenger side (ME!), the driver stood by the car as we were taken to the local clinic who refused to help! Later, the driver ran away as he was informed by someone that the police are coming and was afraid he might get beaten up, cant blame him thou.

Agreed, the roads in UP are pretty baad, esp. in Lucknow, they are known for their Gaddhas! But lucknow roads have started to improve recently quite a bit, apparently the roads between gorakhpur and lucknow will take another 3-4 yrs.
Old 4th January 2011, 02:36   #7258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoriginal9321 View Post
^^ we are fine now, this happened only a day after rakhsha bandhan. The driver was fine actually! As you can make out in the picture, the car had crashed a little bit towards the co-passenger side (ME!), the driver stood by the car as we were taken to the local clinic who refused to help! Later, the driver ran away as he was informed by someone that the police are coming and was afraid he might get beaten up, cant blame him thou.

Agreed, the roads in UP are pretty baad, esp. in Lucknow, they are known for their Gaddhas! But lucknow roads have started to improve recently quite a bit, apparently the roads between gorakhpur and lucknow will take another 3-4 yrs.

Oh!!

Yes, roads in lucknow have vastly improved. As I found during my 10 months long stay at lko last year, the roads in Gomtinagar are very well paved. And the alambagh and kanpur road side has seen many improvements too. Quite a few flyovers as well. Though I have heard that they are prone to collapsing.

Actually in my last post I was talking about the National and state highways of this state. Even when travelling from M.P. as soon as I entered Jhansi the conditions deteriorated quite badly. That however was a year ago. And the construction though far from over seemed to be in full swing. Do not know the current status of that stretch of road.

Regards.
Old 4th January 2011, 15:38   #7259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
on my trip to Kochi on my CBZ to attend my cousin's wedding, just before reaching Pattikad, i was almost run over by one of 'em aana vandis. had to get off the shoulder and almost skidded and fell off!
Thank your stars.

Quote:
OT: the picture of him sitting on the steering wheel is a file photo. at the time the picture of the truck was taken, he was on the dashboard basking in the sun.

come on guys! leave my friend alone!
There's someone who carries a similar "friend" with him all the time. He drives a green bug-like car which has latches on the doors... Hope you're not like him on the roads
PS: No offence meant to either of you
Old 4th January 2011, 15:49   #7260
Senior - BHPian

ahmedabad sure has parking issues. and specially near the airport area where people dont want to spend 60 rs on airport parking. Looks like this guy went a little over board

I got this pic from a friend who snapped this a few months ago near the airport circle out side the Gateway Hotel
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-zen-airport.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-zen-airport1.jpg  

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 4th January 2011 at 15:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks