Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2011, 08:48   #7471
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Hi all,
This happened to me on 26th January, 2011. Ironically, I had asked in my post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-upgrades.html how to improve braking for my bolero.In highways, where even lorries cruise at 80-90KMPH, India's largest selling SUV at sudden braking,drags for over 80 feet, crosses the divider and hits the opposite Bus and stops.The good part is, I walked away with a bruised body and an even more bruised ego.
Had (and still have) great respect for Bolero being one of the best Ruff N Tuff SUVs of India. This is quite shocking to hear of the drag for 80' at moderately high speeds. Isn't Bolero's braking supposed to be good? Is it totally attributed to the braking or was there something else to it? Thank goodness you guys escaped only bruised.
Old 12th February 2011, 08:58   #7472
BHPian

Quote:
In one aspect, despite having a head-on collision with a bus, the shell was able to absorb the impact and protect me. Superior Mahindra R & D or God's miracle? Anyways, I'm happy to be alive and see my wife and kid again.
@NeilRoy, Thats a nasty one. Glad that you're safe. Speaks about the build quality.

But really, is braking that bad in Boleros or its just one-off case?
Old 12th February 2011, 09:20   #7473
Senior - BHPian

Neil Roy - What prompted you for a sudden braking? Thats scary even to read jumping to the opposite side of road & head on with a BUS :(
Old 12th February 2011, 09:46   #7474
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Had (and still have) great respect for Bolero being one of the best Ruff N Tuff SUVs of India. This is quite shocking to hear of the drag for 80' at moderately high speeds. Isn't Bolero's braking supposed to be good? Is it totally attributed to the braking or was there something else to it? Thank goodness you guys escaped only bruised.
Bolero brakes are bad. In the morning when you start driving, it is quite biting, but after few kilometers, it becomes very soft.
Old 12th February 2011, 10:29   #7475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
Bolero brakes are bad. In the morning when you start driving, it is quite biting, but after few kilometers, it becomes very soft.
Oh thats bad. My perceptions were not correct then. Would be worth knowing if anything is being done by company on that or if any solutions exist on the same?
Old 12th February 2011, 13:10   #7476
BHPian

Truth be told, bolero is an amazing vehicle to drive at speeds less than 70. I've taken my bolero to places where even the possibility of road is non-existent.
If you see the link in my post, I've even asked fellow team-bhpians how to enhance the braking capacity of my bolero. I've even altered my headlights, if you can see my bolero's photos, to have greater vision at nite. But that just dont increase the vehicle braking response. The new bolero storm has better brakes for sure, but the old type- SLX just isnt cut out for today's highway speeds.If you can keep a sedate pace on the highway, it's ok. But anything over 70, and you are gambling with chance.... and on 26th Jan Chance won.
Actual cause of accident. Cruising at 85-95KMPH,Saw road ahead blocked which means take diversion implied by highway morons at a distance of around 100 feet at nite 8.45 without any reflectors.Panic braking and trying to take the diversion resulted in all four wheels getting locked and dragging. Vehicle could not make the turn, Front left and rear left hit the median( those half foot types on the highway) and burst immediately. Bus coming in opposite lane swerved to his left, so my bolero hit his mid section and went upto his rear tyre. Upon impact with his rear tyre, my vehicle did a 180 degree spin and came to a halt parallel to the bus. Impact was so severe that the rear axle of the bus came out and rear tyre of the bus burst.
After the accident, one highway guy comes running with his light baton from the opposite side of the road. And you know why the road was blocked? They were removing another accident vehicle half a KM ahead. It seems, even though the vehicle was cleared, nobody removed the road block. As soon as my accident, the removed the road block pronto.
Even now, when I think about the if's and but's, the only conclusion I can come to is that brakes were not sufficient. I cannot improve the Highway authority's response to creating road blocks or managing diversions,but I sure can buy a vehicle which can stop at reasonable speeds within reasonable distance.
I also urge all bolero owners to try this simple test. Go Upto even say 70 KMPH and crash Brake. I mean put pedal to the metal on the middle pedal and see how your ride responds. That way atleast you can know your vehicle's limit. You guys might think I'm paranoid, or some might even say that I should not apply brake like that, but having been given a second inning at life, I feel that it is my responsibility to warn you guys. Another lesson learnt? Always wear seat belts.
Old 14th February 2011, 00:55   #7477
Senior - BHPian

The accident that I spotted near my college. Dont know how it happened,but I think I was at the scene after a few hours of collision.

The tank of the tipper is damaged. The LCV ( mostly 407 ) is damaged heavily. There was diesel all on the road from tipper's tank. Nobody was killed as per locals.

I am nobody to talk on this as I was not witness, but the tippers are driven very rashly on this road. Dangerous, very dangerous. Their solid construction also means that broken roads that are in the area dont slow them down.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0115.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0116.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0117.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0118.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0119.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0120.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0121.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0122.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0123.jpg  

Old 14th February 2011, 10:08   #7478
BHPian

Hi Neil,

Sad to see the accident and glad to know that you are safe. As you told it is scary thing in bolero to brake at speeds above 80kmph. I myself have gone through this quite a few times but God forbid, nothing serious. Since then I have been extra careful in taming this beast at higher speeds and have always kept it under its limits.

It is sad that the manufacturer has neglected the very basic things in the vehicle which is best seller in its class.

Being a Bolero owner, I vouch for its sturdy built, reliable and go anywhere attitude, but...

Anyways..lesson learnt. Drive Safe dude.

Cheers,
Rajesh

Quote:
Truth be told, bolero is an amazing vehicle to drive at speeds less than 70. I've taken my bolero to places where even the possibility of road is non-existent.
If you see the link in my post, I've even asked fellow team-bhpians how to enhance the braking capacity of my bolero. I've even altered my headlights, if you can see my bolero's photos, to have greater vision at nite. But that just dont increase the vehicle braking response. The new bolero storm has better brakes for sure, but the old type- SLX just isnt cut out for today's highway speeds.If you can keep a sedate pace on the highway, it's ok. But anything over 70, and you are gambling with chance.... and on 26th Jan Chance won.
Actual cause of accident. Cruising at 85-95KMPH,Saw road ahead blocked which means take diversion implied by highway morons at a distance of around 100 feet at nite 8.45 without any reflectors.Panic braking and trying to take the diversion resulted in all four wheels getting locked and dragging. Vehicle could not make the turn, Front left and rear left hit the median( those half foot types on the highway) and burst immediately. Bus coming in opposite lane swerved to his left, so my bolero hit his mid section and went upto his rear tyre. Upon impact with his rear tyre, my vehicle did a 180 degree spin and came to a halt parallel to the bus. Impact was so severe that the rear axle of the bus came out and rear tyre of the bus burst.
After the accident, one highway guy comes running with his light baton from the opposite side of the road. And you know why the road was blocked? They were removing another accident vehicle half a KM ahead. It seems, even though the vehicle was cleared, nobody removed the road block. As soon as my accident, the removed the road block pronto.
Even now, when I think about the if's and but's, the only conclusion I can come to is that brakes were not sufficient. I cannot improve the Highway authority's response to creating road blocks or managing diversions,but I sure can buy a vehicle which can stop at reasonable speeds within reasonable distance.
I also urge all bolero owners to try this simple test. Go Upto even say 70 KMPH and crash Brake. I mean put pedal to the metal on the middle pedal and see how your ride responds. That way atleast you can know your vehicle's limit. You guys might think I'm paranoid, or some might even say that I should not apply brake like that, but having been given a second inning at life, I feel that it is my responsibility to warn you guys. Another lesson learnt? Always wear seat belts.
Old 14th February 2011, 10:34   #7479
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,
This happened to me on 26th January, 2011. Ironically, I had asked in my post [url]http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni........... Anyways, I'm happy to be alive and see my wife and kid again.
Woah!!!! I was thinking about the Bolero as an alternative for a hatch/sedan for highway drives, but now, I guess I'll have to think about it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
OT! No on the contrary that paragraph above is the most relevant text on this......... sown at that early age, the fruits are there for all to see as the child grows up.
Indeed!

Here's an MLA's Scorp that crashed into a lorry on NH44 last year:
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-15082010594.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-15082010600.jpg  

Old 14th February 2011, 13:15   #7480
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ The brakes on Mahindra vehicles always seems to be lacking in some aspect.

In one, you gotta wait till Christmas time till your vehicle stops, while the other bites into a halt.
Old 14th February 2011, 16:28   #7481
Senior - BHPian

I would have been in a situation exactly similar to this today morning. My office Tavera would have banged head on onto a on coming Scorpio.

It was our driver's fault.
Old 14th February 2011, 17:02   #7482
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted an accident involving multiple vehicles near Krishnagiri. Two trucks head on (completely destroyed) then a bus and a truck. All at the same spot. Sorry no pics.

Another accident spotted after 10 kms from the previous spot. Famous private bus operator. Serious damage to the front end.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00217201102140818.jpg  

Old 14th February 2011, 17:37   #7483
BHPian

A dumper truck engaged in 4 laning work falls off the road on the Guwahati Shillong road near Nongpoh, Meghalaya.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-zz.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-zzz.jpg  

Old 14th February 2011, 17:47   #7484
BHPian

^^ Is that a Volvo (From the sealed glass windows)? Which operator is it?

The Cabin of the dumper is badly crushed. Hope no casualties.

Last edited by f1fan : 14th February 2011 at 17:54.
Old 14th February 2011, 18:42   #7485
Senior - BHPian

@f1fan:
Yes, the bus is a Volvo 9400XL (Multi-axle).

About the tipper, unless the crew got out safely before it came crashing on the ground, they don't stand a chance of survival - at least from this angle that's what I feel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks