Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2011, 11:09   #7726
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
...Talking about big vehicles taking the blame, that seems to be like a law in India. I was witness to a accident where a bikers(Pulsar) trying to take a U turn over a broken divider was hit by a car. The Car (Alto) was already braking and just nudged he bike over when it came to a halt. The biker went away with INR 1500 in his pocket to cover any damages, body or vehicle, despite his mistake with the police taking his side.
It is strange that the police took his side. Usually the police are quite strict with anyone who tries to make U-turns over broken dividers or other such jazz. Perhaps the Alto driver was having a bad day. Or may be he did not have a valid DL. Let us not always blame the cops for everything. It is the rogue 10% who give the entire force a bad name.

PS: Neither me nor anyone in my family is a cop.
Old 21st March 2011, 11:52   #7727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Let me tell you something. In my growing years my parents looked to it that basic safety and traffic rules were instilled in me. Even if it was playing with fire (festivals) or water (swimming) or something as basic as crossing a road. The need to know the right from the wrong. The need to know the consequences of one mistake. The need to know that we have a social responsibility.

I could never, never ever think of taking the keys when papa is asleep. NEVER!! The thought itself could have send shivers down my spine. Its the way you are brought up.
+1 to that!

OT:

my dad was in the Army and we've had a very strict upbringing. two of many things my dad has taught me (and by which i live by):
- wrong is wrong, no matter who does it.
- lie and you lie to yourself. cheat and you cheat yourself. in the end, you're the one to lose!

believe me you, i cannot knowingly enter a one-way; nor can i just park my bike/car in a no parking zone and just walk away or park in an inappropriate location whereby others will be inconvenienced (and many other things); i just can't. i've had many arguments with my family and friends over these things, but i've always stood my ground!

sometimes i wonder how is it possible for people to feel okay to break rules as and when it suits them or do things without understanding their repercussions! are we lawless by nature or is it something we learn from our environment/elders?
Old 21st March 2011, 12:12   #7728
BHPian

might seem OT, but all these things are related.
bad driving will (eventually) lead to accidents and / or road-rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
believe me you, i cannot knowingly enter a one-way; nor can i just park my bike/car in a no parking zone and just walk away or park in an inappropriate location whereby others will be inconvenienced (and many other things); i just can't. i've had many arguments with my family and friends over these things, but i've always stood my ground!
glad we have people like you on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
sometimes i wonder how is it possible for people to feel okay to break rules as and when it suits them or do things without understanding their repercussions! are we lawless by nature or is it something we learn from our environment/elders?
it's more than just the environment around, it's how one is programmed to think (which again comes from upbringing, company, etc). At a red signal, when you see other vehicles moving ahead, you're tempted to flow with the crowd. some people give in to the temptation, some are able to resist it.

plus, there are people that learn from others' & their own experiences and change. most don't. and some don't live to learn.
Old 21st March 2011, 13:33   #7729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
That is some serious impact. Wonder how the other vehicle survived and managed to get away. It looks more as if the truck rammed a divider or a bus stop on the road. The roof is torn apart.This pic reminds of the "World's wildest police videos" episode on AXN, in which they showed a madman driving a tank through a neighbourhood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
How can the other vehicle flee after such an impact?
The 23 year old driver of this truck lost his life Police are yet to identify the absconding vehicle but they suspect one of the 'dumper trucks' that ply this area due to heavy construction activity in the vicinity to be responsible. Most of these 'dumpers' are recklessly driven by construction workers with no driving experience, forget being trained to drive construction machinery. I had an incident last month driving from Bhopal to Indore where a dumper driven by a boy hardly 17/18 got annoyed when I overtook him. The idiot tried to get into a race with me,there was a traffic holdup when I had to stop.This guy had no control over the truck,and swerved wildly to the left missing my car by inches and toppled over into the ditch.

This is what happened to a friends car when a dumper coming from the opposite direction without headlights rammed into it head on. The car was written off.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc01627.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc01629.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc01630.jpg  

Old 21st March 2011, 14:37   #7730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
...... a dumper driven by a boy hardly 17/18 got annoyed when I overtook him. The idiot tried to get into a race with me,there was a traffic holdup when I had to stop.This guy had no control over the truck,and swerved wildly to the left missing my car by inches and toppled over into the ditch.
Thanks that kid decided to do a self sacrifice....most shocking. BTW, what the drivers reactions after the fall? or you left the place without stopping thanking your stars
Old 21st March 2011, 16:06   #7731
BHPian

We did stop,albeit more out of anger than an urge to help. There were 3 kids in the cabin who thankfully were not hurt. They clambered out of the cabin giggling and ran away towards their campsite (forgot to mention,the road was being widened and the dumper was of the same company that was building the road)
Old 21st March 2011, 16:30   #7732
BHPian

Quote:
Saw this en route to work. Learnt later that this guy was rammed into by another heavy vehicle that fled. Wonder what the other vehicle would've been to inflict such damage on a truck.
Hi Mate
Must have been a HTV fuelled by a alcoholic lunatic.
Jokes apart the irony in many accidents is that the person with the least fault pays the maximum for the damages.

Would be interesting to see how many would agree to this point of view

Mods: can we start a thread on this if you ( can see GTO support nearly agreeing )

rgds
DP
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:22   #7733
Senior - BHPian

Another pile up on the Chandni Chowk - Wakad highway stretch. It is a second one i am reporting in the last 2 weeks. This time near Balewadi stadium and involving a Vista at the start followed by Xylo, Indica and a Ritz.

I am not sure how the Ritz ended up in that position?
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00024.jpg

Indica suffered the most damage.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00025.jpg
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:30   #7734
Distinguished - BHPian

again those damned bars on MUVs/SUVs.
I dont know how much protection they offer, since the bumper is not allowed to do its job of taking some shock.
Isnt it bad for any and all impacts to be transferred directly to the frame of the vehicle?

Indica would have had lesser damage if that bar had not been there on the xylo.
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:37   #7735
BHPian

Quote:
This is what happened to a friends car when a dumper coming from the opposite direction without headlights rammed into it head on. The car was written off.
@WasavaTyres, I believe your friend in this Palio came out safe. (Provided he was wearing seat belts)

Had it been some other car damage and injury could have been much more severe.

Please confirm.
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:22   #7736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Another pile up on the Chandni Chowk - Wakad highway stretch. It is a second one i am reporting in the last 2 weeks. This time near Balewadi stadium and involving a Vista at the start followed by Xylo, Indica and a Ritz.

I am not sure how the Ritz ended up in that position?
Attachment 521573

Indica suffered the most damage.

Attachment 521574

@Amit : The Ritz had suffered heavy damage to the RHS front side too (not visible in the pics). Nice alloys though. There was minor damage to the Red vista.

Going by the location of the crash location, the probable cause is that a stupid pedestrian emerged from the bushes in the divider and tried to quickly dash across. Or more likely, stroll. Happens a lot in that area. The Vista driver must have panic braked, causing the Xylo (which was not a Taxi!) to ram into him, to be rear ended by the Indica and finally the ritz which hit the LHS rear of the Indica trying to avoid him.
Why just pedestrians, even Two wheelers are darting through that tiny gap in the divider, and they are not at all visible until they have their wheel poking dangerously on the ground.
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:39   #7737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
@Amit : The Ritz had suffered heavy damage to the RHS front side too (not visible in the pics). Nice alloys though. There was minor damage to the Red vista.
I guess i missed the damage to the Ritz as i was also busy trying to move to the left lane to avoid getting stuck behind the pile up.

But looking at the position of the Ritz and the location where the crash happened, my take is that the Ritz had joined the highway from Baner road and was trying to move to the right lane. But what bad luck for the Ritz driver. As soon as he moved in there was hard braking by the Vista and then the pile up.
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:43   #7738
Senior - BHPian

The Chandani chowk to Wakad highway has become a nightmare. All the time you can spot 2 wheelers coming in opp direction at you, bikers speeding between cars and tankers, pedestrians crossing the roads anywhere and anyhow they like. The most pathetic thing is to drive on this road at night, you can spot endless tankers/trucks without tail lamps. I know this must be a common scenario across our country. I always wonder, why we Indians are so allergic to follow some basic discipline.
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:50   #7739
Senior - BHPian

saw this Indica parked in front of Total Mall. looks like a head-on collision.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc01379.jpg
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:44   #7740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Another pile up on the Chandni Chowk - Wakad highway stretch. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
The Chandani chowk to Wakad highway has become a nightmare. ..
At nearly the same spot today, there was another crash, involving a Zen Estilo and probably a truck, which rear ended him.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks