Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2011, 00:07   #8086
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
SWIFTNFURIOUS
What about the crazy siren they play in Bangy at some intersections before the light turns Red/Green? I have been fooled many times into thinking that an ambulance is stuck in the queue behind me and tried to make way for it!
It's the warning sound for motorists not to jump the signals as it's the measly 5 seconds or so for pedestrians to cross the road, legally.

@swiftnfurious: I think the Green-Amber-Red-Amber-Green is the actual flow. Ideally you should shut down the engine when it's red, and amber indicates that it's time for you to turn it back on. This is what I got to know from an old driver.
Old 12th May 2011, 00:59   #8087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
It's the warning sound for motorists not to jump the signals as it's the measly 5 seconds or so for pedestrians to cross the road, legally.
Why do people need to be reminded not to jump the signals? Why do people need notice board "Follow Traffic Rules"? Whats next? More sound? SMS Alerts? Crazy nation.

I think the siren has something to do for blind people though.
Old 12th May 2011, 01:04   #8088
BHPian

Just in, saw a white ANHC running tourist number plates near the Matunga flyover. Driver had missed the divider/barricade leading to the flyover as a result of which the car was resting on the chassis with all four wheels off the road. Didn't seem to be any casualties, although the car has definitely suffered major losses right from the front bumper, the headlamps to whatever goes beneath the vehicle!

Cops and a towing van were at the spot. Couldn't get any pictures as I was in a moving car myself.
Old 12th May 2011, 09:38   #8089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Few years back BBMP (or BDA don't remember which) started program to make roads (at least junctions) disability friendly. As part of this exercise they have alarm when pedestrian signals turns green. Alram should help blind and partial blinds in identifying they can cross. Its a different story that as soon as alarm starts, you can guarantee every one jumping the signal. Anyway zebra crossing are not honored at least in Bangalore.

Last edited by RaguHolla : 12th May 2011 at 09:43.
Old 12th May 2011, 12:30   #8090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Why do people need to be reminded not to jump the signals? Why do people need notice board "Follow Traffic Rules"? Whats next? More sound? SMS Alerts? Crazy nation.

I think the siren has something to do for blind people though.
India Shining or not, we're still a country of morons.
We treat each other like morons.
We don't believe in others' right of way.
We don't believe in stopping for pedestrians.
We don't believe in traffic signals.
We don't believe in giving way for ambulances.
We haven't understood the meaning of queue.
We don't have 5 seconds to stop and let someone go, but we have 30 minutes to wait in the traffic jam that followed.

We are still a country which needs boards like "Please flush the toilet after use".....that too in IT company rest-rooms.

Get used to it. We will never be a great nation......not until we learn to respect each other.

-- Torqy
Torqy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 14:47   #8091
Senior - BHPian

Just my observation, about the Amber light, what I think is that we can do away with it totally while signal is turning from Red to Green. As the mentality of people here is to just start racing as soon as they see the Amber light. Amber means to get ready or slow down (it still works for most while slowing down i.e. Green -> Red). Better to keep it Red itself for more time (and may be all lights be at Red at the same moment to allow Pedestrian's to cross the junction). Normally people don't dare to break the Red light except some pshycho's.
Old 12th May 2011, 15:29   #8092
Senior - BHPian

Then they will also have to do away the countdown timers they have here in Bangalore (I haven't seen such timers even in other countries). If the wait for green is too long, it would make sense to have the timer, to indicate the drivers to switch off the engines. But most of the times, the wait is just about a minute or so, which does not help in saving fuel anyway.

By the way, I saw this Black SDX in KHT Motors today. Seems like it belongs to a BHPian. It had stickers all around.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-clipboard01.jpg  

Last edited by rohanjf : 12th May 2011 at 15:44.
Old 12th May 2011, 15:56   #8093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
We are still a country which needs boards like "Please flush the toilet after use".....that too in IT company rest-rooms.
Funny, but true!

I regard the Trichy road intersection on LT bybass from Palakad to Neelambur is the most dangerous. The intersection is kind of diagonal to the bypass and all lights in each direction are mostly RED at any given time. This confuses the motorists and generally the taxi or state buses jump the signal followed-by other motorists. It's quite scary, coz it's difficult to get a clear view who is coming from your sides.

- Mahesh
Old 12th May 2011, 16:07   #8094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
By the way, I saw this Black SDX in KHT Motors today. Seems like it belongs to a BHPian. It had stickers all around.
I also saw this at KHT, took PICs but somehow didn't want to post here.

It was exactly at the same location in the same condition 2 weeks back - wonder why they have not started working on it?

EDIT: They could have removed the number plates, atleast.
Old 12th May 2011, 16:25   #8095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post

Get used to it. We will never be a great nation......not until we learn to respect each other.

-- Torqy
Very well said!

I think feeling of nationalism is very low among us. Correct that - I don't think we know the meaning of nationalism. Most of us will put that to 'i can give my life for my country' or supporting the team in some game etc. There's more to it than that. Obeying the rules (all types) of your country comes right up there. Germans and Japs are right up there when it comes to being nationalistic. Meanwhile we dream about running away to the Western countries but calling ourselves american or something else.

Until we learn to respect the rules of our country, we will always remain a 3rd world country.

Sorry for being so off-topic.
Old 12th May 2011, 16:28   #8096
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Very well said!

I think feeling of nationalism is very low among us. Correct that - I don't think we know the meaning of nationalism. Most of us will put that to 'i can give my life for my country' or supporting the team in some game etc. There's more to it than that. Obeying the rules (all types) of your country comes right up there. Germans and Japs are right up there when it comes to being nationalistic. Meanwhile we dream about running away to the Western countries but calling ourselves american or something else.

Until we learn to respect the rules of our country, we will always remain a 3rd world country.

Sorry for being so off-topic.
I too see it the same way. Glad to hear others think alike.

--Ragul
Old 12th May 2011, 16:35   #8097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
I also saw this at KHT, took PICs but somehow didn't want to post here.

It was exactly at the same location in the same condition 2 weeks back - wonder why they have not started working on it?

EDIT: They could have removed the number plates, atleast.
The service advisor said the damage has not yet been evaluated, but most probably, it is totalled. The rear windshield had shattered, and had fallen inside the cabin. The rear right door was the only one intact, so it looks like the car rolled over.
Old 12th May 2011, 16:58   #8098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
most probably, it is totalled.
I would say it doesn't have to be totalled. No damage to the chassis, even the headlights are intact. Bonnet, Windshileds and panels can be repaired/replaced.
But you can never guess with Fiat, knowing their cost of accident repair and parts.

Can't resist posting the PICs:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image001.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image002.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image003.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image004.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image005.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality pic's.
Old 12th May 2011, 17:05   #8099
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^ The first photo in ch.nathan's post speaks many words.

Driving safely in India is not just about we driving safe, Its also about our luck that some other person also drives safe or the infrastructure also being safe.

It is painful to see a tbhpian's car (or any car for that matter) in this state.
Old 12th May 2011, 18:05   #8100
BHPian

Ragarding the Palio, i doubt it'll be a writeoff. Our WagonR met with the same fate and rolled over 4 times ar over 100kph. The shell was replaced and we used the same car for about 2yrs withough any problems. The surveyer will probably have them repair it if its only body damage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks