Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2011, 18:22   #8101
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

@ch.nathan: at first glance i was shocked to see that Palio - thought it was yours. then i realized it was a Stile
Old 12th May 2011, 18:46   #8102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
By the way, I saw this Black SDX in KHT Motors today. Seems like it belongs to a BHPian. It had stickers all around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
I would say it doesn't have to be totalled. No damage to the chassis, even the headlights are intact. Bonnet, Windshileds and panels can be repaired/replaced.
But you can never guess with Fiat, knowing their cost of accident repair and parts.
is this the same car?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2332634

i hope the owner is safe.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 12th May 2011 at 18:47.
Old 12th May 2011, 20:51   #8103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
is this the same car?

looks like, but praful mentioned he saw a I Drive Safe on the rear. the car in the picture has a Drive Safe. maybe it was a typo.
Old 12th May 2011, 21:06   #8104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post
A crashed old generation C class

AFAIK what i read in paper was the owner was feeling chest pain while at home and decided to drive to hospital with wife and kids just a km from home,but lost control of car at first junction itself and turned turtle

Attachment 542880

Attachment 542881
I saw the same news in papers , The person passed away due to heart failure while driving car rite ?
Old 12th May 2011, 22:00   #8105
Distinguished - BHPian

Two days back I had seen an accident involving an i10 & a TATA 407 in front of Kottayam Dairy at Vadavathoor, Kottayam. The i10 had a crashed bumper which came off while the 407, driver side wheel came off ! The 407 was much more damaged than the i10 and both the vehicles were facing the same direction on either side of the roads. The 407 was on the correct side I believe [since no one could drive it and was very close to the fence of a house leaving the scratch marks all over the road. Sorry, no pics as I had to move off without creating a traffic jam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Our WagonR met with the same fate and rolled over 4 times ar over 100kph.
A Wagon R @ 100kmph is an "absolute recipe" for disaster ! I never dare to drive a Wagon R beyond 80 kmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
SWIFTNFURIOUS
What about the crazy siren they play in Bangy at some intersections before the light turns Red/Green? I have been fooled many times into thinking that an ambulance is stuck in the queue behind me and tried to make way for it!
Please dont remind me of that crap !! It scares the hell out of people and confuses them a lot as I have seen. Worse, there is absolutely no uniformity for these. At some signals, it works, most of the signals, it doesn't work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
@swiftnfurious: . Ideally you should shut down the engine when it's red, and amber indicates that it's time for you to turn it back on. This is what I got to know from an old driver.
Not a good thing - I prefer a "working" digital timer instead of this. Swift Diesel [may be all modern diesels] is ideally supposed to be cranked only once the SVC light goes off and the time for the SVC light to go off is more than the "Amber" signal timing. So for one who religiously follows the SVC light instruction, the green comes even before the driver can crank the car and will leave them in a fix.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 12th May 2011 at 22:13.
Old 12th May 2011, 22:31   #8106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
A Wagon R @ 100kmph is an "absolute recipe" for disaster ! I never dare to drive a Wagon R beyond 80 kmph.

True, but today on the Ernakulam Kottayam stretch I saw a red Wagon R sporting a KL 39 plate weaving on the narrow two lane road, driven very rashly by a youngster and a full family contingent with park and rear fog lamp on. Seeing this in my rear view, I moved over and gave him way and he was continuing in the same vein, the body roll in every maneuver so prominent because of the way it was driven. Prayed God to excuse and save them.
Old 13th May 2011, 03:18   #8107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
True, but today on the Ernakulam Kottayam stretch I saw a red Wagon R sporting a KL 39 plate weaving on the narrow two lane road, driven very rashly by a youngster and a full family contingent with park and rear fog lamp on. Seeing this in my rear view, I moved over and gave him way and he was continuing in the same vein, the body roll in every maneuver so prominent because of the way it was driven. Prayed God to excuse and save them.
This evening I too saw a Ritz carrying a family and being driven by a maniac weaving in and out of traffic on the approach to the BOM-Pune expressway. A few minutes later as I was cruising on the expressway at approximately 100 kmph in the middle lane, the guy overtook me and disappeared in a flash. One can only hope and pray that he did not take anyone out on the remainder of the way to Pune. Felt sorry for the passengers in the Ritz though for having to put with such an idiot of a driver.
Old 13th May 2011, 08:49   #8108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
@ch.nathan: at first glance i was shocked to see that Palio - thought it was yours. then i realized it was a Stile
Mine is also Stile !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
looks like, but praful mentioned he saw a I Drive Safe on the rear. the car in the picture has a Drive Safe. maybe it was a typo.
Yeah - must be a typo.
Old 13th May 2011, 09:33   #8109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Mine is also Stile !!
what?! for some reason i thought yours was a old generation Palio!
Old 13th May 2011, 11:41   #8110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
is this the same car?

Yes, that is the one. I saw the inside, and it had no stains of blood. If the occupant(s) wore seatbelt, I am sure there would be no physical injury, only mental agony.
Old 13th May 2011, 13:50   #8111
BHPian

Saw this one on my way back from office. Apparently, the car (swift?dezire?) tried to overtake the tractor and turn in front of it trying to take the same turn I did, but probably have to break causing the tractor to crash into it taking both of them off the road. Foolish car driver.

Saw another one (no pics) the day after where the one side of the 4 lane road was blocked due to construction causing a bike to collide head on with a loaded Appe. Seems like the bike rider had hit the windshield and broken it with the front bike wheel rim totally bent. Hope there are no major causalities.

Last edited by gharika : 13th May 2011 at 13:54.
Old 13th May 2011, 15:08   #8112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Again a generalization here. There is no doubt the WagonR is not a great handler like others in the league and it is quite obvious for its tallboy stance.

Having said that, in no way can driving this car at 100kmph can be a 'Recipe for a disaster' unless driven rashly in a sense that one is trying to do cornering stunts at such speeds or trying to swerve left and right cutting through the lanes and braking to screech rather than slowing down.

On straight stretches and not too steep curves, it can be driven safely without a fear factor in mind.

I couldn't resist posting this since I own one for more than 5 years, clocking 1,40,000Kms on the ODO and mostly regular highway drives along with my family to Belur & Pune and many other places.

My Usual speeds vary between 100-120kmph depending on road conditions. Not that I don't have an option as We also have ANHC in our family which I drove to Pune twice and to Rajkot 2 months before and realized how bad a handler can a premium car can be, specially with is super soft suspension & hypersensitive steering that it feels dangerous anything beyond 120kmph.

Of course, I know what a great handler the Swift that I wont even compare it with WagonR or even the ANHC.

There are other WagonR owners in this forum who also would drive this at 100kmph but with utter caution.
Old 13th May 2011, 16:04   #8113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
There are other WagonR owners in this forum who also would drive this at 100kmph but with utter caution.
I am one. And I generally agree that above 80kmph it generally feels unsafe. Minor bumps unsettle it and sudden maneuvers (in case of emergencies) can be very dangerous. Cruising at 100kmph seems "safe" enough only on good straight-ish roads.

I have an ANHC too and i find it much safer/better handler than the WagonR on any kind of road and speed.
Old 13th May 2011, 17:12   #8114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
I am one. And I generally agree that above 80kmph it generally feels unsafe. Minor bumps unsettle it and sudden maneuvers (in case of emergencies) can be very dangerous. Cruising at 100kmph seems "safe" enough only on good straight-ish roads.

I have an ANHC too and i find it much safer/better handler than the WagonR on any kind of road and speed.
Exactly, Sudden maneuevers and tackling emergencies - Not for a Tallboy and there needs to special mention as to why it shouldnt be attempted.

Coming to ANHC, It is safer with all the ABS and Airbags but not when I talk about handling bad roads and undulations when fully loaded. Softer suspension and the lightest steering make it feel unsafe at 120kmph too.
Old 13th May 2011, 17:36   #8115
BHPian

Quote:
In Bangy the sequence is Green -> Amber -> Red -> Green. Amber comes as an intimation for the vehicles to slow down for RED. But in Kerala, I have been seeing the Amber coming even before RED turns Green. Now whats that for ?? Get ready to wheel spin ?
I have seen Green -> Amber -> Red -> Amber -> Green in Bnagalore too. For instance the Sarjapur road junction has this sequence towards Sarjapur from Marthahalli.

Most Viewed